It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:39

Greetings from the garage/workshop

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Greetings from the garage/workshop

Postby Simon_M » 14 Sep 2019, 18:17

Hi, my name is Simon and I live in a small village near Romsey in Hampshire.

About three years ago I had the misfortune to have a fire that destroyed my garage and my 3o+ year collection of DIY handyman tools too. The garage was rebuilt (at great expense) and I started the slow journey to replace the tools that all went up in smoke, one at a time, as required.

I remember the excitement of buying some replacement screwdrivers, a hammer and a couple of handsaws and it’s been a blur ever since. More followed and soon I had to think about storage – cupboards and a tool rack etc. I’m still at the “thinking” stage and (I’m sure it gets easier) still planning my first real tidy up.

As a child I grew up with Dad’s metalworking lathe in the garage – I used it for making wooden “stuff” – it wasn’t ideal because needs of a metalworker and a woodturner crossover (but not by much). The best thing I remember was being able to cut super fine threads in wood and my “automated” skew cuts were immaculate – no skill required; you see.

My big breakthrough with the garage was delaying putting a car in the garage and realising that it's not just a dumping ground (site) that's somewhere between the house and the local tip. I’m still thinking about it but it now looks to be unlikely as some larger tools and a workbench have setup home in there. There’s not much space but it’s beginning to look more like a refugee camp for the retired.

My interest in making stuff again has been in trying to remember how to be a woodturner again and it helps that I’m now with a woodturning club. The monthly demonstrations are a great inspiration, although I see lots of things to “add to the life list” to try – but some things stick too. Maybe a few mistakes made with getting a first lathe. I should have known that one “never assume you made the perfect choice and won’t upgrade anytime soon” and “It’s easy to think the lathe is the thing - but it’s just the start”.

The woodturning “journey” continues and with the need to add some homemade jigs and other stuff I find there are some other woodwork “cul-de-sacs” – it can take forever to make a jig – getting it just right or some Man Shed furniture that I must make.

I’m recently back from the Yandles show. It’s a “free woodwork show” but when I was there wasn’t too much evidence of wood/tool purchase abstinence – happy souls (beaming all over) and carting off their latest collection of timber – certainly a true example of an Aladdin’s Cave. I think I may be cured – almost managed the whole day there, without buying anything and (after the tills were closed) completed a single purchase - a 1” scraper (I know I’m not a true woodturning purist – but needs must!) – we all need at least one more tool to make it happen – or so we imagine.

Some favourite things: favourite colour (blue), favourite woods (beech and cherry) favourite tool (my sharpening setup), favourite activity (planning my next project), favourite room (the garage/workshop) and of course, favourite pastime (creating designer firewood). :text-lol:

Kind regards
Simon
Never try to teach a pig to sing, it only wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Simon_M
Seedling

Name: Simon

Re: Greetings from the garage/workshop

Postby Mike G » 14 Sep 2019, 21:04

Welcome Simon, and sorry to hear of your bad luck. That is just about the worst thing I can think of in workshop terms.....to lose everything and have to start from scratch.

What's it with Hampshire? We seem to have a real cluster of woodworking folk down there.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 14 Sep 2019, 22:17

Welcome Simon from just down the road in Romsey.

Mike: Hampshire is the place to be :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 15 Sep 2019, 07:42

I’ll put you on the map later Simon, tried yesterday, I’ll have another go later when I can get on the Mac.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 15 Sep 2019, 19:51

Hi Simon from west a bit in Mid-Devon!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 15 Sep 2019, 22:40

Hi Simon and welcome to the forum. Mind you, you need to watch out down there. Some really dodgy characters around ! :o
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 15 Sep 2019, 22:44

RogerS wrote:Hi Simon and welcome to the forum. Mind you, you need to watch out down there. Some really dodgy characters around ! :o

Wow compliments indeed!
That's how we got where we are today Roger, by being dodgy. :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Sep 2019, 08:14

RogerS wrote:Hi Simon and welcome to the forum. Mind you, you need to watch out down there. Some really dodgy characters around ! :o

Good job I'm in the next county along :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerM » 29 Oct 2019, 20:38

oi !!!! Nowt wrong with Devon! Welcome to the forum Simon. Hope your man-cave is taking shape and looking forward to seeing some masterpieces emerge.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Return to Welcome (Introductions)