It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:10

G'day from NZ

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

G'day from NZ

Postby woodhutt » 23 Jul 2020, 16:11

Hello all. I see some familiar names from the members list but for those who don't know me, here's a brief intro.
Originally from the North-East of England, I brought my family to NZ in the mid-80's. I'm a retired engineer and long time keen woodworker and live just north of Wellington. I have a small workshop with, apart from the necessary bench, a compound mitre saw a band saw, a lunch box thicknesser, a pillar drill and a router table with a Triton 001 plus a few other power tools such as hand-held router, ROS etc. I tend to use the power tools for stock preparation and finish off with hand tools.
Because of the limited space, my projects tend to be small such as boxes and small cabinetry and I recently ventured into the world of hand made walking canes which I enjoyed. I also enjoy restoring old tools to workable condition and am currently restoring a couple of Stanley No.5's.
Hope to learn and contribute where I can.
Pete
woodhutt
Seedling

Name: Pete

Re: G'day from NZ

Postby Andyp » 23 Jul 2020, 18:55

Welcome Pete,
just one more post and the spam trap will disappear and posts will not need approval.

We like photos around here so don't be shy to share current or past projects with us. Not sure we have any walking stick makers around here.

I guess down there you have a few exotic timbers to play with that would be very alien to us up here.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby DaveL » 23 Jul 2020, 19:15

Hi Pete,

Welcome to the forum.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Malc2098 » 23 Jul 2020, 19:22

Yo, Pete! Strewth, that a bit of a way away! Welcome.

I like my Triton. I've got it semi-permanent in my router table. I've got the 1/2" collet, the 12mm collet and the 1/4" collet. That way I covered all my bets. I've got a couple of carbide 12mm bits which are much cheaper than those advertised for woodwork.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby TrimTheKing » 23 Jul 2020, 19:56

Hi Pete

Familiar names, from where, the previous incarnation of this forum or other woody fora?

Welcome aboard either way!

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby woodhutt » 23 Jul 2020, 20:07

Thanks for the welcomes.
Some of the members are familiar from another forum but shall remain nameless :)
Pete
woodhutt
Seedling

Postby Woodbloke » 24 Jul 2020, 05:42

woodhutt wrote:Thanks for the welcomes.
Some of the members are familiar from another forum but shall remain nameless :)
Pete

We know who we are but shall remain anonymous :D I don't use the 'other' place any more either and welcome btw. We had a motor home tour of NZ for five weeks in 2018 and passed through Wellington on our way 'oop narth' to warmer parts - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 24 Jul 2020, 08:27

Welcome Pete, from a 'blow-in' now living in your former north-east. Lovely country here, almost as many sheep as NZ...

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby woodhutt » 24 Jul 2020, 11:42

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:Welcome Pete, from a 'blow-in' now living in your former north-east. Lovely country here, almost as many sheep as NZ...

Sam

Ah! But are they as pretty...?

KIWI OUT ON A DATE
e099f34489d7538c31b0e9208cdc06cd (1).jpg
(26 KiB)

Thanks again for the warm welcomes.
Pete
woodhutt
Seedling

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 24 Jul 2020, 13:08

:D :D

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Return to Welcome (Introductions)