It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:52

Hello from RSA

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Hello from RSA

Postby Commander » 01 May 2015, 06:23

Hi,

My name Erich and I also got directed here via Mike's house building thread, which I found most entertaining!

I have been doing some DIY woodwork since I was 15, and have always enjoyed it, most of my projects are fairly simple and utilitarian, but there is nothing like the feeling of turning a bunch of raw materials into something usefull!

I hope to learn a lot from the forum!
Commander
Sapling

Name: Erich

Re: Hello from RSA

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 May 2015, 07:37

Hi Erich and welcome to The Wood Haven.

There must be something in the water recently as we've had 5 new members from RSA in the past 3 days! :)

Good to have you here and look forward to your contributions.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby chataigner » 01 May 2015, 07:53

Welcome, look forward to seeing some of your work, photos would be good.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Andyp » 01 May 2015, 08:13

Welcome Erich. Are workshops in RSA as big as the ones in the USA? Fell free to show us some past or present projects. Don't be shy.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 01 May 2015, 08:44

Hi Erich!

Sorry it had to come to this, but I'm sure you'll enjoy our little forum. The guys here might not have seen some of the timber you guys get to play with in SA, some of which are absolutely gorgeous. We like photos ;)

Mike
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 01 May 2015, 08:46

TrimTheKing wrote:There must be something in the water recently as we've had 5 new members from RSA in the past 3 days! :)

I was a regular poster on a SA forum, and was posting on my extension. I left the forum 2 or 3 days ago, and directed people over here if they wanted to follow my build.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 May 2015, 08:55

Mike G wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:There must be something in the water recently as we've had 5 new members from RSA in the past 3 days! :)

I was a regular poster on a SA forum, and was posting on my extension. I left the forum 2 or 3 days ago, and directed people over here if they wanted to follow my build.
Ahhhhh, and all becomes clear! :)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Commander » 01 May 2015, 19:40

Andyp wrote:Welcome Erich. Are workshops in RSA as big as the ones in the USA? Fell free to show us some past or present projects. Don't be shy.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I actually started on a new project today, most of my stuff is however made from MDF, so probably doesn't really count as wood, but it is cheap, easy to work with and makes perfectly decent furniture!

I usually work in my father in law's double garage, so probably not as big as the ones in the US ( everything is bigger over there right? :D ) but it works well for me.

I will probably start a tread with a couple of photos of my past projects, and then some of the stuff I'm working on now. I would love to get into using proper wood, and hand tools at some point in the future!
Commander
Sapling

Postby Commander » 01 May 2015, 19:43

Mike G wrote:Hi Erich!

Sorry it had to come to this, but I'm sure you'll enjoy our little forum. The guys here might not have seen some of the timber you guys get to play with in SA, some of which are absolutely gorgeous. We like photos ;)

Mike

Hi Mike,

I think a lot of the guys are sorry to see you go, and not being able to see you progress on your extensions was the final little push I needed to decide to join here. I'm sure I will learn loads over here!
Commander
Sapling

Postby Mike G » 01 May 2015, 22:01

There are a few other names I recognise. Welcome all!

It will be 2 or 3 weeks before i can start work again after my op (surgeon said 6.....what does he know.... :) )
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Robert » 01 May 2015, 22:49

Hello and welcome :)
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Andyp » 02 May 2015, 07:35

Commander wrote:
Andyp wrote:Welcome Erich. Are workshops in RSA as big as the ones in the USA? Fell free to show us some past or present projects. Don't be shy.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I actually started on a new project today, most of my stuff is however made from MDF, so probably doesn't really count as wood, but it is cheap, easy to work with and makes perfectly decent furniture!

I usually work in my father in law's double garage, so probably not as big as the ones in the US ( everything is bigger over there right? :D ) but it works well for me.

I will probably start a tread with a couple of photos of my past projects, and then some of the stuff I'm working on now. I would love to get into using proper wood, and hand tools at some point in the future!

Nothing wrong with MDF. There is a guy here, Mailee, who earns a living from it.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Commander » 02 May 2015, 22:05

Andyp wrote:
Commander wrote:

Nothing wrong with MDF. There is a guy here, Mailee, who earns a living from it.

Well thats good to hear! I will defenetly add some photos when I'm back in front of my laptop.
Commander
Sapling

Return to Welcome (Introductions)