It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:21

Another returning member..

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Another returning member..

Postby oddsocks » 11 May 2015, 20:00

I was a member of the original forum and didn't think to look for a sequel and then last week I 'stumbled' across The Woodhaven2 whilst trying to get tapatalk to do what I wanted (one day I'll master that app!).

I've been woodworking as a hobby for about 30 years, normally for family and friends, making anything from turned snowmen (at least 600 by now) to fine and not so fine furniture. My latest major project has been a full kitchen refit (I was overulled re units and we went the Wren kitchen route due to time, but I did all the fitting including moving a wall).

My day job is as a technical project manager focussed on information security projects.

I'm glad to be back - I wish I'd saved the text from some of my old project posts as I often referred back to them when asked to do a repeat build.

Dave
oddsocks
New Shoots

Name: Dave

Re: Another returning member..

Postby TrimTheKing » 11 May 2015, 21:24

Hi Dave

Thanks for joining up again, good to have you back.

Maybe in the future, with a fair wind, we may possibly get the old content back, but as we stand we're just building it all back up again with new projects! :)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 11 May 2015, 21:54

Welcome back Dave!

Great to have another name from "the past" back here again.

Last time there was a single point of failure but now we are organising everything with a spare set of keys on the nail behind the door so should things go pear shaped again, we will be able to recover.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby DaveL » 11 May 2015, 23:38

Hi Dave,

Good to see you back, can't have too many Daves :)
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 12 May 2015, 07:30

Nice to see you back Dave and welcome. If you have photos of past projects a few quick threads will boost your post count and get you past the spam traps.

Using the details in your profile I have added you to the Members Map Might come in handy if ever you need a hand in the workshop.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby chataigner » 12 May 2015, 07:55

Welcome back !
Some people are posting photos of former projects without much text, it's a quick way to share former work without re-creating the whole thread.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby oddsocks » 13 May 2015, 09:01

Thanks all for the welcome, I'll try and get some old project photos uploaded with text over the weekend.
Dave
oddsocks
New Shoots

Postby jennwhal » 08 Dec 2015, 15:21

Hi Dave

Just wondering if you might be able to help. A friend of mine recently purchased or put a deposit down for a Lathe at a car boot sale in Fordham, Cambs, for a friend for Christmas. However, she has mislaid the phone number of the seller but seems to remember he lived in Haverhill.... Total longshot but would it by chance be yourself?

She's desperate to track the chap down so she can get the present for her friend before Christmas.

If it is you, would you mind dropping me an email asap? Please let me know either way.

All the best
Jenn

jen@pwhalley.com
jennwhal
Seedling

Name:

Postby Newbie_Neil » 08 Dec 2015, 18:05

Hi Dave,

Welcome back.

Neil
Newbie_Neil
New Shoots

Name: Neil

Postby oddsocks » 14 Dec 2015, 09:37

jennwhal wrote:Hi Dave

Just wondering if you might be able to help. A friend of mine recently purchased or put a deposit down for a Lathe at a car boot sale in Fordham, Cambs, for a friend for Christmas. However, she has mislaid the phone number of the seller but seems to remember he lived in Haverhill.... Total longshot but would it by chance be yourself?

She's desperate to track the chap down so she can get the present for her friend before Christmas.

If it is you, would you mind dropping me an email asap? Please let me know either way.

All the best
Jenn

jen@pwhalley.com

Sorry Jen, its not me (also sorry for taking time to respond, I was on holiday and mobile data wouldn't work on my phone)
oddsocks
New Shoots

Postby RogerS » 14 Dec 2015, 12:22

Hi Dave

Welcome back from me as well. Look forward to your future posts!

Cheers

Roger
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby oddsocks » 20 Dec 2015, 16:01

Thanks Roger, I joined but then havent been doing any projects since then so have just been lurking....However a few weekends ago a birthday fairy gave me a large 'big green egg' (never call it a BBQ!) so I've just built a table for it and will post some pictures in a few days ....lit it for the first time today.

Dave
oddsocks
New Shoots

Postby Gill » 21 Dec 2015, 02:40

I wish I had a birthday fairy wealthy enough to give me a big green egg. I nearly bought one a few years ago when I had a windfall. Looking forward to hearing much more about yours :)
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby oddsocks » 21 Dec 2015, 18:32

Gill, we have been looking at them for the past 3 years and I finally convinced my wife it would get used enough to justify the spend :-)
Here's one picture taken yesterday just after I'd assembled it. I'll take some more and start a new topic re the build (rain and winds today so need to wait for finer weather).

Dave
oddsocks
New Shoots

Postby Rod » 21 Dec 2015, 23:53

Ok I give in - what is it and does it come with the wooden base?
Looks expensive?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby oddsocks » 22 Dec 2015, 13:33

Rod, it's best described as an 'outdoor oven' - it uses charcoal (never briquettes) and can get to v high temps (350+celsius) and maintain them for 12+hours. its used for long slow cooks (pulled pork, christmas turkeys etc) as well as faster stuff such as chickens, steaks, pies, pizzas etc.
The generic term is a kamoda oven, high tech ceramics keep the heat in and constant. Quite a few posh restaurants now use them (but industrial extraction needed indoors).

Yes expensive (with the starter accessories the large egg I've got was just under £1000) so its not a BBQ. I made the table (you can buy one but that was about £800!)

more info here http://www.biggreenegg.co.uk/

There is also an american FB page "Big Green egg BBQers" that is the usual over the top site with 3" thick steaks etc.
oddsocks
New Shoots

Postby kirkpoore1 » 22 Dec 2015, 17:03

I had a Big Green Egg until recently (my ex got it in the divorce). It worked well for most things, but for quick grilling of small items (a couple of hamburgers or hot dogs, for example), the charcoal is usually farther from the meat so it takes longer to cook. I think I had the second largest size, and it cost about $800.

I did not have the cool wood table. I hope yours works well.:)

Oh, and welcome back.:)

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Return to Welcome (Introductions)