It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:56

Hello from Bristol

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Hello from Bristol

Postby Fergal » 02 Jun 2015, 15:48

Hi all

Been lurking here for a while, thought I'd better join up.

I've recently returned to woodwork as a hobby after a long absence of only doing house refurbishment related projects. I've now moved to a new house that needs no work so am free to do things that I actually want to do! I'm currently trying to organise my double garage into a workshop and make some furniture out of the wood that I've acquired recently. I also enjoy a bit of metalwork and tinkering with electronics.

Cheers

Fergal
Fergal
Seedling

Name:

Re: Hello from Bristol

Postby 9fingers » 02 Jun 2015, 16:30

Hi Fergal,

Welcome to the forum. It looks like we have very similar interests in addition to woodwork.

I think we might have met many moons ago at Waka's bash down Weymouth way?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Rob » 02 Jun 2015, 16:56

Hi Fergal
Welcome.
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby Fergal » 02 Jun 2015, 16:59

Hi Bob

I'm afraid you're mistaking me for somebody else. I've never been to a Waka Weymouth bash unfortunately.

I am familiar though with your extensive knowledge on motors and have read your pdfs on the subject. On the subject of motors, I recently acquired an Electra Beckum KGS301 mitre saw. If you're not already familiar with it, it's unusual in that it has an induction motor, which is the reason I bought it as it is much quieter than most saws. I'm really pleased with it apart from the fact that it doesn't have a brake, so the blade takes a very long time to spin down, which is quite disconcerting. EB made a version of the saw with a brake, but these seem to be as as rare as hens teeth, so I'd like to add some form of electronic braking to mine. There seem to be various ways of doing this, and I wondered what your take on it would be?

Cheers

Fergal
Fergal
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 02 Jun 2015, 17:56

Fergal wrote:Hi Bob

I'm afraid you're mistaking me for somebody else. I've never been to a Waka Weymouth bash unfortunately.

I am familiar though with your extensive knowledge on motors and have read your pdfs on the subject. On the subject of motors, I recently acquired an Electra Beckum KGS301 mitre saw. If you're not already familiar with it, it's unusual in that it has an induction motor, which is the reason I bought it as it is much quieter than most saws. I'm really pleased with it apart from the fact that it doesn't have a brake, so the blade takes a very long time to spin down, which is quite disconcerting. EB made a version of the saw with a brake, but these seem to be as as rare as hens teeth, so I'd like to add some form of electronic braking to mine. There seem to be various ways of doing this, and I wondered what your take on it would be?

Cheers

Fergal

It is not something I've tried to do. I have a recollection that I have a circuit somewhere from a Scheppach machine but it might take some finding but I will have look. ISTR that Eric the Viking was working on something a while back. He is a fellow Bristolian and an approachable type chap to often be found lurking on UKW.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 02 Jun 2015, 20:55

Welcome form me too . I'll get you adds to the members map shortly so you can see if thee are other members nearby.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 03 Jun 2015, 18:25

9fingers wrote:Hi Fergal,

I think we might have met many moons ago at Waka's bash down Weymouth way?

Bob

Ran into Waka, Martin King and Philly at the Yandles show in April...the Three Woodkateers together in one spot. Happy days :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Jun 2015, 11:33

Hi Fergal and welcome from me too. :)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin