It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:36

New to woodworking

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

New to woodworking

Postby woodstalker » 17 Apr 2016, 20:42

Evening all,

I am a recent entrant to the world of woodworking having been inspired by various youtube videos to have a go. Im fairly practical anyway having mangled together many bits of wood in my time to assist in various diy situations.

I recently moved house to Amesbury in Wiltshire and now have the opportunity to build an outbuilding which i hope will be suitable to act as a workshop. My garden is on a slope but my wife is a keen gardener so we plan to terrace it and i think i can get away with a shed on the shadier part.

anyway i have been stalking the forum for a while (hence the user name) so thought i had best join and post something as a woodworking newbie.

looking forward to reading some more about the projects and WIP everyone is doing and being inspired to build some simple things for my house.

Today whilst tidying up the garden and chopping up scrap wood that is all over the place i knocked up a saw horse that doubles as a stand for my cheap sliding mitre saw, its rough but works (the saw horse and the saw!)

woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: New to woodworking

Postby Robert » 17 Apr 2016, 22:29

Welcome to the forum :)

You'll do well here seeing as you are already posting pictures :)
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby DaveL » 17 Apr 2016, 23:37

Welcome to the forum, you will fit in well, as we love pictures.
Last edited by DaveL on 18 Apr 2016, 08:33, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 18 Apr 2016, 06:49

Hi and a warm welcome from me too. I have used your location to add a pin to our members map.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 18 Apr 2016, 07:54

Welcome to the forum, Woodstalker. What are your plans for this workshop or yours? Do you have any photos of the site, or some sketches perhaps?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 18 Apr 2016, 08:00

And a warm welcome from me as well. Looking forward to seeing your projects.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 18 Apr 2016, 08:40

Welcome Woodstalker. I am only a few baby steps ahead of you in the journey so all you will probably learn from me is what not to do, but you'll find this a very welcoming place with some really helpful folk.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby StevieB » 18 Apr 2016, 08:58

And a welcome from me too!

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 18 Apr 2016, 11:53

Welcome aboard woodstalker, look forward to many more pics of your learning journey… ;)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby woodstalker » 18 Apr 2016, 19:58

Wow, thank you very much for the warm welcome!

It will be a long and steady journey i think. Currently that McAllister Sliding Mitre saw is about the sum of my woodworking tools plus a mallet and some chisels i got from Amazon years ago when i had to fit a door in my last house but it does mean the only way is up from here.

The workshop is on the list but first i have to do some building work on the house to join the main house to the cellar via some internal stairs. Then i have to terrace the sloping garden to give SWMBO the veggie garden and greenhouse she wants. Following all that i hope to build a workshop in the shady bit she is less keen on.

Mike-

no plans as yet, although i have been stalking through the various forums and have been lifting ideas from your threads. Absolutely inspirational. I am a man that likes to do things right and your plans look like the right way to do it. So I'm planning a 6x4.5m footprint shed on a concrete base and brick plinth (3 courses!) timber frame clad in feather edge. Roof i'm not sure about, i plan to position it at least a metre from the boundary so that size and location should exempt me from building regs and planning permission but i want to keep the height down because i get on really well with the old lady next-door and don't want to ruin her view (her house backs onto ours at an angle so she looks down across our garden to the view of fields beyond.) So i was thinking of an OSB mono pitch roof clad in onduline or possible a low pitch standard roof clad in OSB and onduline. (i re -roofed my garage at my old house like that so have some experience of mangling those materials together. However having gone through your threads i can now see the correct way to keep it all watertight.)

The main stumbling block to progress at the moment is finances (the builder's quote for the work on the house was :shock: so i figured i would do the bulk myself under supervision of Building Control and my Dad) The second issue is the imminent arrival of my first daughter (already 4 days late!)

I am keen, as i said, to make simple bits of furniture for the house and bit and pieces like that so on my list of tools to procure over the next 18 months are: Dust extraction, bandsaw, planer/thicknesser, pillar drill, table saw. Probably in that priority order but if the right tool pops up and is available then i can purchase and store in my tiny half garage until the workshop is built. And of course a variety of hand tools to finish everything off neatly!

I am very much a have a go sort of bloke, i can turn my hand to most things practical so really hope woodworking is something i can get into. I want the satisfaction of looking at something and saying "I made that.." Plus i think i will need the space to hide in occasionally.

Looking forward to chatting with you all, thank you again for the warm welcome.

James
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 18 Apr 2016, 21:17

Hi James,

A belated welcome from me too. I'm only down the road from you in Romsey and you are welcome to pop in if you are passing.

Cheers

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby woodstalker » 19 Apr 2016, 09:23

Hi Bob, thanks very much. No doubt when I will be calling on everyone for help in the very near future so your offer is much appreciated.

Got my letter back from building control yesterday so I can get them to come and look at the proposal and sort out a way ahead. My PP has just been put accepted by the council and the green notice put up outside my house. Not as if we can afford to do it all at once but at least we will have the PP.

Now the evenings are getting lighter I want to make a start plugging away at it as soon as possible.

Been reading Mikes house renovation thread from the start (halfway through now) not sure my workmanship will be a match for that and the project is just a little smaller but everyone has to start somewhere I guess!
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 19 Apr 2016, 09:51

Hi James, You have now passed the hurdle of having your first three posts moderated as one of our anti spam measures.
Your posts should now appear almost immediately without the delay of a mod having check them first.

Cheers

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 19 Apr 2016, 10:14

woodstalker wrote:...Been reading Mikes house renovation thread......

Maybe a more useful one would be my workshop build thread:

http://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=198
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 19 Apr 2016, 11:39

Hi Mike, that was actually what got me to this forum. Did a bit of stalking in UKW and looked at your contributions then followed a link to WH2 to your workshop build. Been right through that and now working my way through the house renovation. Downloaded your construction specification pictures and the detail drawings so I can refer back to them as I look to build mine. Also looked at your layout plan as a good start point too. :)
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 19 Apr 2016, 17:54

:cry: Just been doing some research on the PP which was a retrospective application when this house was built (didn't conform with the original plans so the owner had to apply for retrospective which lots of neighbours weren't happy about and take every opportunity to tell me when i see them out and about!)

However it as granted but one of the conditions was the removal of Permitted Development rights;

Notwithstanding the provisions of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 and the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 or any subsequent re-enactment thereof, no development permitted by Classes A-G of Part 1 of Schedule 2 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 (unless otherwise hereby approved) shall be carried out without express planning permission first being obtained from the Local Planning Authority.

So there goes my shed plan, i will need to submit full plans for the terrace in the garden and the workshop i want to put up. How annoying!
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 20 Apr 2016, 07:48

Yep, it's your Class E rights which were the relevant ones, I think. As an aside, my Planning Permission here had a similar clause inserted, but they listed the wrong classes!!! :) So I can build a shed without asking anyone.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 21 Apr 2016, 19:56

My wife called and then emailed Wiltshire Planning Office today to find out if we can do what we propose which is

Terrace the garden and plant veggies
Build workshop
put up greenhouse
move 'summer house' which is inexplicably in a corner and not really much use for anything

I know the answer will be no; apply for planning permission but its just annoying. Especially as it will not be visible from the neighbouring houses unless they stand at the end of their gardens and look back up mine at my house.

Since people like photos i thought i would throw in a couple of the site in question. My house is two storeys at the front and three at the back because of the slope it was built into. So this was taken from the balcony at the back:

North is directly away from the camera so the plan is to create a single low terrace the width of the garden on this the steepest and least used bit. The shrubs were put there as a planting scheme to please the planners but don't add much. Veg will be a much better proposition!

The terrace planned will go from the low brick wall (bottom right of the picture) to just into the lawn at the top of the picture roughly where the fence changes height in the top right. That gravel path will go and be replaced with steps and a more solid path on the left (running in front of the workshop to the lawn). So two retaining walls; one horizontally across this picture from the low retaining wall following the line of the greenhouse base closest to the camera and another retaining wall, again horizontally from the fence change top right to the corner of the compost heap you can just see top left.

This is where i want to build the shed on the terrace so it should drop down a bit below the boundary wall on the left there. Thinking a mono pitch roof with the back of the workshop facing the boundary wall, double doors on the long side closest end to the camera and a small window at the fear end facing down the garden:

Will remove the remnants of the beech hedge thats there, hopefully a couple of scraggy trees (just out of shot bottom left by the wheelbarrows) and help the neighbour on that side cut back all the vegetation on her side to reclaim her view to the fields at the bottom of our gardens. (she's lived there 50 years so it seems the nice thing to do)
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to Welcome (Introductions)