It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:55

Sorry I'm Late

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Sorry I'm Late

Postby Mike G » 30 Jul 2014, 22:48

Hi.........it's me (again!). Nice to see some very familiar "faces". In the interests of brevity I have shortened my username, but I hope that doesn't cause too much confusion.

I have a good excuse for being late to the party, which is that I I have just moved house to a barely-habitable house-shaped-pile of bricks, timber and slate. I have put a kitchen in, and nearly a bathroom, and have finally got internet access. We moved in without electricity, water, drains, phone or internet, no plumbing and no heating, but the place is now habitable after a fortnight of work.

The good news is that my very first project is a workshop build, which I will do as a WIP on here. The bad news is that my wife has taken the camera to Spain, so you'll get no photos of the slab being excavated or poured, or of the power-floating.

Anyway, good to see you all, sorry that Tom seems to have vanished, and as I have about 2 years of woodwork in front of me, including lots of green oak work, I'll finally have something to talk about after quite a long period of inactivity on the woodworking front.

Cheers

Mike
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Sorry I'm Late

Postby Woodbloke » 30 Jul 2014, 23:07

Welcome Mike…looking forward to hearing about all the latest developments and the WIP 'shop build, but you know what they say….no pics or it didn't happen :D :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 30 Jul 2014, 23:22

Thanks Rob. Well, there'll be plenty of photos, but just not of the hole, and the concrete pour.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 31 Jul 2014, 00:06

Hi Mike

Good to have you back, kind of. :)

Looking forward very much to the workshop build.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby DaveL » 31 Jul 2014, 05:56

Hi Mike,
Good to see you again.
so how far away is this brick pile? If you are close enough and need use of a shop, just shout.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 31 Jul 2014, 06:46

Welcome Mike, looking forward to seeing the workshop build. Don't worry about the slab as that's not woodwork anyway :D
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby hc. » 31 Jul 2014, 08:10

Hi Mike, following with interest were about to get some interesting posts.
hc.
Seedling

Name: Martin Mackenzie

Postby Robert » 31 Jul 2014, 08:25

hello Mike :)
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 31 Jul 2014, 09:27

Great to see you have found us Mike.

Sounds like you have some great project material coming.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby fred » 31 Jul 2014, 10:20

Wow! That's some job you've got there. I feel your pain, as I did something similar with an ex-girlfriend a few years ago at her other house in france - no electrictry, no running water (but a well outside), not much knowledge of the language, absolutely no idea of where the nearest builders depots where. It was very medieval. But I reckon I was worse off than you, I had the missus with me. Looks like you did the right thing and send her off to Spain whilst you crack on. They only get in the way. And the moaning! The moaning! :roll:

Good luck with the build mate, and look forward to seeing some photos and hearing how you get on.

Cheers,
fred

PS When it comes to decorating, don't buy paint from B&Q. Go to a proper painting and decorating shop. There is a difference bewtween the Dulux and Crown paints stocked at B&Q and professional paint shops.
fred
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 31 Jul 2014, 12:58

Thanks all. Great to hear from all of the old folk I've known from 2 or 3 different fora, and also from those i haven't come across before.

Fred, I struck lucky. My wife has never moaned once in her entire life. She is supportive and enthusiastic, and has helped me tamp concrete or raise a roof in the past. We moved into the last house I built with no stairs, no front door, and wet screed on the floor.......and not a peep was heard. You're right about B&Q paint. There's a couple of professional paint suppliers in Sudbury who'll be getting my trade.

Anyone know anything about powerfloating? I can't find anyone to do it for me, as it is probably too small, and I badly want a smooth hard floor in the workshop.

Mike
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby fred » 31 Jul 2014, 13:26

Mike, for all your screeding needs give Dave Tordoff a shout: http://www.shuttleworths.co.uk/davetordoff/

:)

Cheers
fred
fred
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Rod » 31 Jul 2014, 14:17

Welcome Mike

Is this going to be another super energy efficient property?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 31 Jul 2014, 15:07

Rod wrote:Welcome Mike

Is this going to be another super energy efficient property?

Rod

Hi Rod.

Yep. The extension will be built with my inside-out timber frame wall, the existing house will be as well insulated as possible given the nature of the construction, and the entire building will be triple glazed, and have a mechanical ventilation system. I expect to do some of the insulation of the old part with sheep's wool.

There isn't a single cubic millimetre of insulation in the existing building, and it has no heating system. Most of the single glazing is rotten and broken, and, worst of all, completely fixed shut. Lots of work to do before winter sets in!

Mike
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Welcome (Introductions)