It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:08

Pleased to be here

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Pleased to be here

Postby Wizard9999 » 11 Aug 2014, 14:07

All

Stumbled on this website by accident following a link to Mike G's workshop build thrred and jolly glad I did.

I know pretty much nothing about wood work and have virtually no woodworking kit, but a keen and growing interest and a hope that impending (semi) retirement will give me the time to indulge new hobbies. Sadly nothing from my working life provides any useful skills to fall back on as I have always worked in finance.

So far my woodworking experience is limited to a garden table and a store for my firewood, both built from mainly scrap timber with my only real tool, a mitre saw, lots of screws and a fair bit of swearing as I learned from my (many) mistakes.

I have always taken the view of 'in for a penny...', so my plan is to build a workshop straight away, rather than try and make do with the garage which is already full to bursting with anything you can think of, except a car of course. Very happy to see a couple of workshop build threads and hoping to learn a huge amount from these that I can apply to my own build. Once I have that built I'll be looking at a number of further projects including outdoor items such as a pair of garage doors and smaller, indoor items such as book cases.

I've already been made to feel very welcome in the community and only hope that one day I may know enough to be able to pass on help and advice to others!

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Re: Pleased to be here

Postby Andyp » 11 Aug 2014, 14:22

Terry, glad to have you aboard.
If you follow Mike G's workshop thread you wont go far wrong.
Everything I have learned about woodwork has come from internet forum's like this one, the odd book and some good videos. I have certainly learnt more than I have contributed but don't let that worry you.

Remember there is no such thing as a daft question.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 11 Aug 2014, 14:23

Welcome along Terry.
We have a couple of workshop builds going on at the moment Mike G - a practising architect and Tim (Reclaimer) as an enthusiastic amateur woodworker. So between then you should get some ideas. There is also a huge topic of on UKW describing Steve Maskery's shop build.
We also have a few who have already built their own (me included, which you can see when you come to visit)

Now you have three posts under your belt, you can use the PM (private message) system to mail members directly.

Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby fred » 11 Aug 2014, 14:53

Hi Terry,
Looking forward to seeing some of your work.
And good luck with building your workshop.

Cheers
fred
fred
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 12 Aug 2014, 11:19

9fingers wrote:Welcome along Terry.
There is also a huge topic of on UKW describing Steve Maskery's shop build.

Bob

I am about two thirds of the way through Steve Maskery's epic thread and one big question springs to mind, but he seems to have had a rough time recently, so I don't want to ask something on his thread that may be seen as negative. So I thought I'd ask here instead.

I believe his workshop is about 8m square and he has planning permission for that. But so far in the first 20-odd pages I have read I have not seen a single mention of building regulations. Maybe I am wrong, but my understanding was that anything over 30m2 needs to go to have building regulations approval, irrespective of whether it has planning consent or not (pretty sure that is what Mike G also mentions in his thread on this site). If he did need building regulations surely they not have been inspecting a various stages of the build already.

Have I got that all wrong? I rather hope so for Steve Maskery's sake.

Wizard9999.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby 9fingers » 12 Aug 2014, 11:48

Terry, I honestly don't know. it is 30 years since I built anything needing Planning or Building control approval and things may well have changed. In those days you were allocated a BCO and given a pack of postcards each referring to a key stage and you had to send them to the BCO and had to wait for him to come to inspect before you could move on. I expect it is all electronic now but still I'd have expected Steve to have mentioned passing various inspection stages.
It maybe significant that it is not a habitable building and so inspections come later for things like wiring?

Cheers

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Return to Welcome (Introductions)