It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:25

Hello from Herts

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Hello from Herts

Postby bluebirdnick » 13 Jun 2017, 23:28

Hi all

I found this forum in my seemingly endless search for guidance on how to build a solid shed/workshop. I've been reading though the workshop build section for the last few days, and have signed up in the anticipation of having to ask some questions when I do finally make a start on my own project.

I don't have much of a woodworking background and I don't pretend that it is my primary reason for signing up. I do a few bits and pieces, but nothing more adventurous (yet) than fitting a few kitchens and built-in wardrobes.

My ultimate goal is to put a wooden building at the bottom of the garden. It will be within a meter of the boundary so will be 15m2. I won't call it a workshop because it won't be big enough, but this is my first house without a garage and I need somewhere to work on little projects! I want it to be sturdy, dry and warm and it seems that everyone on here who builds their own (far larger) workshops is obsessed with these factors which is great as it provides a wealth of experience and knowledge that I am trying to take advantage of! I had been researching from lesser resources for weeks and going around in circles before discovering this place - I am VERY pleased to have found you.

As this project is going to be the biggest thing I have ever taken on, I am actually going to do a smaller "practice" shed (2.4m x 1.8m) first for storing garden stuff. If I can build that to a reasonable standard I will take on the bigger building in the spring. I am getting to grips with sketchup so will share designs and ideas as soon as I have them.

Cheers

Nick
bluebirdnick
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Hello from Herts

Postby Andyp » 14 Jun 2017, 06:25

Hi Nick and wecome to the forum. You will be aware that your first 3 posts will require moderation, in order to reduce spam.
There are plenty of people here willing and able to help. Once past the 3 post spam trap you will be able to post pictures which always help.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 14 Jun 2017, 07:58

Welcome Nick.

I'm here to help with shed building design and detailing, but there is now also a growing body of experienced workshop and shed builders here to guide people through the various issues. I doubt there is a better place on the internet for getting friendly guidance on building small outbuildings.

Mike
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby bluebirdnick » 14 Jun 2017, 08:16

Thanks both! As soon as I have my plans for the practice shed I will upload some pics for comment. I'm looking forward to it!
bluebirdnick
New Shoots

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Jun 2017, 08:55

Welcome aboard Nick, and thanks for your very kind comments.

We pride ourselves on being a friendly place to be so hopefully you will find everything you need to help you here.

All the best with the build(s).

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Jun 2017, 09:18

Hi Nick,

Welcome from the SW.

I'm getting to grips with SU, too, so if you find there's something you can't find a way of doing, gissa shout.

Malcolm
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Robert » 14 Jun 2017, 09:31

Welcome to the forum :)

I've just finished a 2.4m by 1.8m shed myself. Some parts are a bit tedious but mostly it's a satisfying experience seeing it come together and having something you can stand back and admire :)
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Newbie_Neil » 14 Jun 2017, 11:00

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forum.

Neil
Newbie_Neil
New Shoots

Name: Neil

Postby Phil » 14 Jun 2017, 12:41

Welcome to the forum Nick :D
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby 9fingers » 14 Jun 2017, 12:54

Hi Nick,

Welcome aboard. We are coming up to our third birthday on 21st July.
This forum is a great place for advice. Small and beautifully formed, we manage to keep the idiots out of this particular asylum.
Don't be afraid of calling 15m2 a workshop! There are many folk who turn out fantastic work in a 6'x8' shed.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Tusses » 14 Jun 2017, 15:02

Howdy :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby timothyedoran » 14 Jun 2017, 21:56

Welcome. I am in the process of building a workshed. I would love it to be dedicated to tinkering but I have family stuff to store too. Mine is 4x3m which is the max the boss would permit.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
timothyedoran
Sapling

Name: Tim Doran

Postby DaveL » 14 Jun 2017, 21:56

Welcome to the forum.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby bluebirdnick » 15 Jun 2017, 11:22

Thanks all!

Right, I think that's my 3 posts done so should be free to share pics from now on. I will finalise my best attempt at a design for the practice shed and start a thread over the weekend/next week.
bluebirdnick
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Onform » 16 Aug 2017, 16:26

Hey Nick I too am new here and from Herts :eusa-dance:
Onform
Seedling

Name:

Return to Welcome (Introductions)