It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:26

Hello from Surrey

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Hello from Surrey

Postby Mutley racers » 29 Sep 2017, 20:09

Hi all. I hope you are well. I am a plumber who is actually getting into working with wood. Started off putting up stud walls and so.e alcove units last yr. It has kind of given me a bug. Now I need to build more! I just recently bought a portable table saw, mitre table and router table which are stored under my bed.

Now, the Oracle is doing her nut and so I need a workshop. I have read Mike G's post last night and loved it. Lot of stuff to think about. Tonight I am going to read a few others workshop threads. Exciting Friday night ahead.

I am also excited to read and learn from the other posts on the forum.

Cheers Lee
Mutley racers
Seedling

Name:

Re: Hello from Surrey

Postby TrimTheKing » 29 Sep 2017, 21:08

Hi Lee and welcome aboard.

I'm sure there's days if not weeks worth of reading on workshops for you to get through! :lol:

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Rod » 29 Sep 2017, 21:44

Hi Lee enjoy the read

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mutley racers » 29 Sep 2017, 21:53

Hi. Thanks for approving my post. I have been getting tucked in to some of the workshop builds but cannot see any pics. Will this only happen after I have posted 3 posts?
Mutley racers
Seedling

Name:

Postby Robert » 29 Sep 2017, 22:08

Hi and welcome :)

If you are seeing old threads with no pictures it will be down to photobucket stopping free picture hosting and no longer allowing forums to show them. We now have picture uploads direct to the forum here but that doesn't fix the old threads. it does mean the loss of pictures will not happen again though.

The 3 posts thing is just to stop a spammer from joining and showing who knows what dodgy stuff before someone can stop them.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Mutley racers » 29 Sep 2017, 22:16

Thanks for the quick response. I have been looking at the newest builds 1st. Tried hussy's build but no pics. I dud manage to get Mike G's pics of his build. Again, @thanks for the help
Mutley racers
Seedling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 29 Sep 2017, 22:33

Yo! Welcome form Devon. You sure know how to enjoy a Friday night!!

If there's any pictures from my build you'd like to see, let me know.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 29 Sep 2017, 22:54

You read my thread in a night! Wow....

Oh........right.........the workshop. Well, put aside a week. I've got another one you might take a look at. :lol:

Welcome.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 30 Sep 2017, 07:35

Hi and welcome from me too.

You have posted 3 times now so spam trap has gone. This wont help with viewing old photos unfortunately but at least you can now post your own.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mutley racers » 30 Sep 2017, 14:22

Mike G wrote:You read my thread in a night! Wow....

Oh........right.........the workshop. Well, put aside a week. I've got another one you might take a look at. :lol:

Welcome.

Yes the workshop. Started on your extension last night but caved at 1am when I realised it was 100 + pages long. Will check that one out gradually.

Excited for the new build.
Mutley racers
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mutley racers » 02 Oct 2017, 15:44

20171002_153231.jpg
(728.64 KiB)
So here are some steps I made. They are just a temporary solution since I removed the old concrete and timber deck that was there which were rotten and falling apart
20171002_153231.jpg
(728.64 KiB)

Here is a carbunkle we inherited. So this will be a project as well

I really enjoyed making the stringers for the steps with little stair clamps and roofing square. Remember, I am a novice at woodwork

20171002_153238.jpg
(592.16 KiB)
Mutley racers
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mutley racers » 02 Oct 2017, 15:53

IMG-20170526-WA0013.jpg
(393.07 KiB)
Not woodwork but this is what I did during early summer. So I removed 5 skips worth of rubble and soil and brought In 30 tonnes of topsoil and 300 squre metres of turf. I am happy with the result.
Mutley racers
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mutley racers » 02 Oct 2017, 16:01

I also have an idea for a pop up table in the lounge. I just need to get the wife to come around to it.

We have suspended timber floors which have quite a nice void below. What I would like to do is cut the floorboards staggered either side and underneath them attach a beer fridge which is on hydraulics or some kind of lifting mechanism. Wire this to a button above the sofa so when a game is on I can push the button and the floor pops up to be a table which has cooled beers in it. When done, press the button and it pops back to being a floor. Nice

I hope I am allowed to post that here. If Not, Sorry.

If anyone has any advice on how I can make my beer table work I would be greatful. Hehe
Mutley racers
Seedling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 02 Oct 2017, 16:48

I like a nice stripey lawn!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby 9fingers » 02 Oct 2017, 16:54

Mutley racers wrote:I also have an idea for a pop up table in the lounge. I just need to get the wife to come around to it.

We have suspended timber floors which have quite a nice void below. What I would like to do is cut the floorboards staggered either side and underneath them attach a beer fridge which is on hydraulics or some kind of lifting mechanism. Wire this to a button above the sofa so when a game is on I can push the button and the floor pops up to be a table which has cooled beers in it. When done, press the button and it pops back to being a floor. Nice

If anyone has any advice on how I can make my beer table work I would be greatful. Hehe

I built a heavy duty lifting mechanism for a 1/4 ton thicknesser which works well but a big engineering job and way OTT for what you need. There is a write up here
http://www.thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopi ... =23&t=1665

In your position I'd look at adapting a concealed TV lift mechanism. You will need to endure that in the lowered position, the floor will be adequately supported and NOT by the lift mechanism.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 02 Oct 2017, 17:55

You've done a cracking job of the garden and the table idea sounds like an interesting project too. Looking forward to seeing that one develop.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Oct 2017, 17:55

I love that idea and demand to see it built!! :lol:

Send SWMBO to me and I'll convince her!

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Tusses » 02 Oct 2017, 18:03

and as I always see the danger in everything .. well , it's a curse I picked up when I had kids! .. beware of trapping hazards when it goes back down :-)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Oct 2017, 18:50

Tusses wrote:and as I always see the danger in everything .. well , it's a curse I picked up when I had kids! .. beware of trapping hazards when it goes back down :-)

You can but commercially available 'trap sensors' that can deal with that.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Mike G » 02 Oct 2017, 19:39

Mutley racers wrote:I also have an idea for a pop up table in the lounge. I just need to get the wife to come around to it.

Great idea! Yes, that can be made to work.

Nice work in the garden, BTW. That looks like a whole lot of effort.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby the bear » 02 Oct 2017, 20:43

Hi Lee

Those crappy conservatories must be a Surrey speciality. Here's a pic of mine starting to come down. Whereabouts are you, I'm between Dorking and Guildford

Mark
Attachments
IMG_1649.JPG
(484.51 KiB)
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 02 Oct 2017, 21:36

If I recall the home counties, the Surrey ones were posh!

In Middlesex, they were wood and corrugated plastic!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Mutley racers » 02 Oct 2017, 22:23

the bear wrote:Hi Lee

Those crappy conservatories must be a Surrey speciality. Here's a pic of mine starting to come down. Whereabouts are you, I'm between Dorking and Guildford

Mark

Hi. Yours is definitely posher than mine. The wife would like it to be as yours is, a utility room. I am right next to Hampton Court
Mutley racers
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mutley racers » 02 Oct 2017, 22:24

Thanks for all the replies to my posts folks. I appreciate them.
Mutley racers
Seedling

Name:

Postby Mutley racers » 02 Oct 2017, 22:27

Mike G wrote:

Great idea! Yes, that can be made to work.

Nice work in the garden, BTW. That looks like a whole lot of effort.

It was a whole lot of effort and I wad on me Tod as well. I thought I was mad when half way through but when my boy ran on the lawn for the 1st time it made it soon worth it
Mutley racers
Seedling

Name:

Next

Return to Welcome (Introductions)