It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:03

Having been absent so long!

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Having been absent so long!

Postby Loghead » 11 Nov 2017, 14:56

Hi friends

I have been away from the woodwork scene for quite a long time. For starters Ano Domini (Is that the right spelling?) is catching up with me, and for another my Lady wife has been in full-time care now for almost 12 months. This is taking time from my daily existence. At present I can fit in only necessary repairs, which aren't always woodwork oriented. And may you forgive me, but I have been forced to replace furniture with the make-do stuff from 'Oak-Furniture-land'. It's not too bad, but the drawers fit like the proverbial banana and a side-entry.

Right, I am not complaining; life is life and we get on with it. My wife is comfortable, and being cared for properly (As much as a limited staff can sensibly manage) and she is in no danger. She won't be coming home again of course, but we work around it. That's Parkinson's and Dementia for you.

So if I owe you a reply of any sort then my apologies. I am not giving up on my hobby, but from now on it's the Cosman, Sellers, and Krenov way for me. I.e. handwork only. What I am going to do with my Sedgwick 12" Planer Thicknesser I don't know. Probably sheet it over, and use it a an 'altar' to the craft! If it does go, there will be a big hole in my shop, and I shan't be surprised if I really do shed a tear or two. :eusa-violin: I will keep my bandsaw, and maybe buy a small table-saw. That will help with the grunt-work. Any special timber I shall buy faced and edged, and then dimension by hand. I just acquired a Record No. 7, for edge jointing; although my No. 6 has always done me proud up until now.

First job, a tool chest, similar to but more simple than Chris Schwartz's Anarchists' model; and definitely not so big! That will keep me busy for a month or few.

So Hi again everyone and here's looking at you for Christmas and the New Year.

John Image
Those who understand Compound Interest, make money from those who don't. (Accredited to Einstein)
Loghead
New Shoots

Name: Jon-Alex

Re: Having been absent so long!

Postby Andyp » 12 Nov 2017, 21:21

Sorry to hear of your woes. I cant imagine how tough it must be in that situation. Your attitude is refreshing and I hope sharing you hooby with us here will provide some distraction and light relief.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Return to Welcome (Introductions)