It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:04

Hello

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Hello

Postby Mark A » 03 Dec 2017, 03:00

Hi chaps

I signed up years ago but couldn't remember my details so there was no way of resetting. I take a look round the forum from time to time to see what's going on. I'm also a member of UKW so recognise a lot of names here.

Just read the latest installment of Roger's renovation saga and can sympathise as I've been working on my own house part time for the last two years and 19 days. No enjoyment any more, only neverending drudgery...

This seems a decent place, so I hope to learn from the collected wisdom and contribute where I can.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark A
Seedling

Name:

Re: Hello

Postby Andyp » 03 Dec 2017, 09:06

Hi Mark and welcome back.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 03 Dec 2017, 09:08

Welcome Mark.

What sort of house? I've been plodding on with mine (there's a small thread here somewhere) for 3 years now. I'm still full of enthusiasm, just a tad short of time!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Doug » 03 Dec 2017, 09:23

Hi Mark,

I’m presently trying to get planning permission for another extension I find getting the planning takes longer than the job :evil: Put some photos up of your renovation it’s always interesting to see what folks are doing.

Welcome along btw
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Dec 2017, 10:07

Welcome from Devon.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Robert » 03 Dec 2017, 10:45

Hello and welcome :)

your house sounds like how I feel when asked to do yet more decorating when I'd rather do something else. All becomes a chore. Hope it gets more interesting for you soon.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby TrimTheKing » 03 Dec 2017, 15:29

Hi Mark

You should have dropped me an email and I could have reset for you. Never mind, good to have you back.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mark A » 03 Dec 2017, 16:15

Afternoon,

The house is a hotchpotch of 250-year-old stone collier's cottage which has been (badly) extended four times, so it's now a five bedroom house. It's situated in a valley, in Wales, with a stream nearby, so damp was a major problem which we seem to have rectified by pushing back the ground, installing good drainage and lime rendering the walls.

I'm able to turn my hand to most things, but there were some jobs we had to pay for, and that's were all the issues arose. We never automatically go for the cheapest quote; always the tradesmen who seem the most competent, the most knowledgeable and with decent references; however in practice the majority were equally terrible. That's were much of the time's gone - making good the mess they left behind, or overcoming problems later on which simply shouldn't exist when they had a blank canvas with which to work on. I can wholeheartedly recommend only two trades out of the twelve we used, and ironically they were both jobs I would have enjoyed doing myself, but time constraints meant we had to pay for them to be done - fitting two woodburners and operating the mini digger when renewing the drains.

All the structural work is complete. Internally I have two more bathrooms to tile and plumb; a kitchen and utility to fit; doors, skirting and architraves throughout; umpteen fiddly fancy lights to wire; and a whole load of cheap solid oak flooring to go down after I grind up the shocking self levelling floor and redo it myself. That will keep me busy until spring, then I'll replace the garage roof, re-tile porch and hack off most of the external walls ready for lime rendering. Then I visit a chiropractor to sort out my back!

Off to Toolstation now for plumbing supplies.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark A
Seedling

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 03 Dec 2017, 17:57

Hi
I feel for on the rennovation front, I'm toward the end of sorting out a badly bodged farmhouse before I start on the neighbouring house. It is pretty grinding sometimes.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby Rod » 03 Dec 2017, 18:06

I’m sure it must be worth it in the end.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Welcome (Introductions)