It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:30

Hello everyone from Nick.

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Hello everyone from Nick.

Postby Nick - Laguna UK » 19 Aug 2018, 09:48

I'm Nick and I'm now working with Charnwood to launch Laguna branded woodworking machinery into Europe.
My previous role was launching and selling Jet into the UK and Ireland from 2001.
Prior to that I worked for Elu/Dewalt then Elektra Beckum/Metabo.
I thought I'd sign up at last - there's some familiar names on here that I recognise from when my user name was 'Jetman' on another forum.
I'm aware of forum rules and I'm not here to spam the brand, just happy to answer any specific questions on Laguna as the brand grows and help or offer advice if I can.
I'm not a prolific poster, but I do keep my eye out on most threads as it's always useful to gain extra knowledge and see differing opinions on subjects via active forums such as this.
Regarding woodworking - I enjoy it when I get the time, mostly making things for around the house and taking far too long, as well as making occasional/frequent mistakes along the way, but hey ho I enjoy it.
Cheers all,
Nick
Nick - Laguna UK
Seedling

Name: Nick

Re: Hello everyone from Nick.

Postby 9fingers » 19 Aug 2018, 11:03

Hi Nick,

Good to see you over here. Its been a while since we chatted. As far as I'm concerned as a moderator here, you always pitched your Jet support at the perfect level for forum rule compliance in the past so I'm sure you will do similarly for Laguna/Charnwood.

Best Wishes

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Nick - Laguna UK » 19 Aug 2018, 11:16

Thanks Bob,

It's good to see yourself and many other familiar names over here too - I hope all is well and you are still designing solutions to issues - your 'Boblock' was pretty impressive ;)

I'm here primarily to help if I can on Laguna. Charnwood are the sole importers for Laguna and the two brands are run separately with a different distribution network etc.

My knowledge with Charnwood machinery is fairly limited, so I'm not really the right person to answer any queries on their brand, but I can always refer questions back to the correct people where relevent.

Thanks again,
Nick
Nick - Laguna UK
Seedling

Postby StevieB » 19 Aug 2018, 12:32

Hi Nick - a quick search shows only dust extraction on the UK site, but the full range of Laguna tools on International sites. Are the plans to bring across the full range or restrict to dust extraction only? If so any idea when we might get a wider range of tools?

Cheers,

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 19 Aug 2018, 12:58

Hi Nick

I have a DEFT which, when I bought it a few years ago, was purported to be a version of the Laguna sold in the States.
If so, I can say they are excellent machines for the money.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Nick - Laguna UK » 19 Aug 2018, 13:36

StevieB wrote:Hi Nick - a quick search shows only dust extraction on the UK site, but the full range of Laguna tools on International sites. Are the plans to bring across the full range or restrict to dust extraction only? If so any idea when we might get a wider range of tools?

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve, yes we definitely have plans to launch more of the range into Europe - dust extraction was available first so that has been launched.

We are quite well advanced within the CE modification process and although I can't give an exact time-frame I'm optimistic that within the next 6 months we will have Fusion tablesaws / Bandsaws & lathes available.

They will then be followed by other product groups ie. Drum sanders (Supermax) / Sanders & some very good looking new products that Laguna have not even yet launched in the USA but are going through CE parallel to USA design.

Laguna USA are committed to making Europe a success, and whilst it's not cheap to modify machines for Europe they realise the potential market size and they are a good company to be working with - quality is top of their agenda, and I've been really impressed with all I've seen so far.

CNC's are at the moment only available in USA via Laguna direct, we have no immediate plans to sell these, as launching a product range like that requires a different infrastructure. They are great looking machines though from what I've seen & personally I think we are about 10 years behind on home workshop CNC's vs USA - Laguna have also said the panel saw market over there has vastly diminished as it's all CNC.

Cheers,
Nick
Last edited by Nick - Laguna UK on 19 Aug 2018, 13:50, edited 2 times in total.
Nick - Laguna UK
Seedling

Postby Nick - Laguna UK » 19 Aug 2018, 13:44

Rod wrote:Hi Nick

I have a DEFT which, when I bought it a few years ago, was purported to be a version of the Laguna sold in the States.
If so, I can say they are excellent machines for the money.

Rod

Thanks Rod, yes the DEFT was a clone as far as I understand - classic American style cast iron saw & I think there's a market over here for the Laguna.

We will be launching their new Fusion range of table saws soon.

Laguna have their own design specs & use well established Taiwan manufacturers (not China) to keep the quality levels as high as possible.

I've probably helped build over 20 cyclones now in retailer showrooms & not had a single missing bolt or misaligned hole / dodgy thread etc - quality control is higher than any brand I've previously been involved in - it's all looking good.

Cheers,
Nick
Nick - Laguna UK
Seedling

Postby StevieB » 19 Aug 2018, 15:04

Thanks Nick, appreciate the detailed response!

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 19 Aug 2018, 16:17

Are the saws going to be adaptable for Dado sets Nick? That is a key feature to give you the edge in the UK market. AFAIK only Woodford Xcalibur saws are offering that to UK buyers.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Nick - Laguna UK » 19 Aug 2018, 16:59

9fingers wrote:Are the saws going to be adaptable for Dado sets Nick? That is a key feature to give you the edge in the UK market. AFAIK only Woodford Xcalibur saws are offering that to UK buyers.

Bob

Hi Bob, quick answer is 'no' at the moment as spindles need to be shortened for initial CE to be done as soon as we can.

Long term - I'd hope it's possible, as I know there is a demand. and I'm still looking into it.

People privately retrofitting a longer spindle purchased from USA used to happen on the Jet JTS250S I know.

I didn't realise Woodford had a full CE on that saw.

Cheers,
Nick
Last edited by Nick - Laguna UK on 20 Aug 2018, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
Nick - Laguna UK
Seedling

Postby 9fingers » 19 Aug 2018, 17:18

Thanks nick
The Woodford trick is to supply the machine with a screw in short arbour only then if you order the dado set you get the longer screw in adaptor and it is up to you to swap them for dado use.
If some photos would help, I can provide some.
Cheers Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Nick - Laguna UK » 19 Aug 2018, 17:56

9fingers wrote:Thanks nick
The Woodford trick is to supply the machine with a screw in short arbour only then if you order the dado set you get the longer screw in adaptor and it is up to you to swap them for dado use.
If some photos would help, I can provide some.
Cheers Bob

fair play - I didn't know that & not sure that was the case on the saw I saw some years ago.

Yes please Bob - I would be very interested in seeing those pics.

nick@lagunatools.uk

Many thanks,
Nick
Nick - Laguna UK
Seedling

Postby 9fingers » 20 Aug 2018, 11:59

Nick
This is how my saw arbour system works.

This is the saw arbour as supplied with the saw

SAW 003.jpg
(278.6 KiB)

Using the wrench supplied and an Allen key, the arbour stub can be unscrewed (LH thread)
to reveal a female tapered seating to maintain concentricity and deeper not visible, the thread that retains the stub.

SAW 002.jpg
(252.22 KiB)

This standard stub can be exchanged for one 20mm longer included in dado blade set sold separately.

Here are the two sizes.

SAW 001.jpg
(328.52 KiB)

Thus as supplied the saw can likely be CE compliant and it is the user who may well void this compliance by fitting an accessory. To me this is a neat solution and one that has worked well for me since buying the machine around 2005.

Hope this helps

I will also mail you the photos and feel free to make whatever use of them that you wish.

Cheers
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Nick - Laguna UK » 20 Aug 2018, 14:33

Thanks Bob - that's an interesting system.

Appreciate you taking the time to get those pics & explain it.

Cheers,
Nick
Nick - Laguna UK
Seedling

Postby Rod » 20 Aug 2018, 14:35

My DEFT is supposed to take a dado set but I’ve never investigated it.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Welcome (Introductions)