It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:43

Hello from Scotland

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Hello from Scotland

Postby PJM » 12 Nov 2018, 17:52

HI,

My name is Peter and have spent my entire career as Boss of a comprehensive Garage Operation including breakdowns and being an MOT Tester.

I have now retired and have many interests including not wanting to throw away anything broken unless I have tried to fix it first ( this week took apart headphones, shortened both cables and re-soldered broken ends and now working fine).

I joined the Mens Shed just less than a year ago and am there from 11-4 every Tuesday, they are also there on Thursdays too, but I cannot fit in 2 days a week.

On top of DIY ing for myself I get called upon by my 30 year old son for a bulk DIY session at his house an hour away !

I have good facilities at home and am a Mr Tool as I don't like to borrow tools or be slowed down by not having the right or a good tool.

Since joining Mens Shed I seem to have bought a lot more tools for home and am constantly up-grading as I want to do a better Job Quicker as am time limited with all my interests.

Looking forward to Forum Board activity.

Regards

Peter
PJM
Seedling

Name:

Re: Hello from Scotland

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Nov 2018, 18:46

Hi Peter,

Welcome from Mid-Devon!

I have a DIY for my son, too, but I tend to use Skype and FaceTime (Saves on diesel! :D )

I get trying to fix things. I dismantled my JCB planer today having mangled the blades and cutterhead trying to plane a screw! But with new blades and a bit of filing here and there, it's gone back together and works, if I may say so, a little better than before.

We have a Men in Sheds down here which is slightly different I think to Mens Sheds. How does yours work?

The guys here will encourage you to post photos of your stuff.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Nov 2018, 18:49

Hello Peter and welcome.

Interested to hear more about the Men’s Sheds world.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 12 Nov 2018, 18:58

TrimTheKing wrote:Hello Peter and welcome.

Interested to hear more about the Men’s Sheds world.

Welcome Peter

I too would like to hear about Mens sheds. Like you I have a good selection of tools and don't like to lend them out. I wondered if I were to join a mens shed, I would soon become the focus of "could you just do...." requests.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 12 Nov 2018, 19:02

Welcome, Peter.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Nov 2018, 19:09

Welcome Peter from a relatively 'near' neighbour.

Roger
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby DaveL » 12 Nov 2018, 19:10

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forum.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby PJM » 12 Nov 2018, 23:35

Thank you all for your Welcomes,

Mens Sheds are all over the Country and overseas, my wife recently saw one of the Mens sheds in Australia where I believe it started.

There is a Mens Shed website with all the Sheds shown on a map with links to individual sheds in different towns. We meet twice a week Tues and Thurs although I only go on a Tuesday. The sheds have all their own tools although some like myself take a pilots case full of stuff I regularly use and have a box with lid on it in my boot. I keep having to go out to my car to get something from my boot such as when I am sanding I can get my Preppin Weapon sanding blocks I have 3 in different colours with different grits on each and my name on them so they do not get purloined or borrowed permanently.

Since Joining the Shed I have had to get 2 identical Cordless drills as it takes so much time to keep changing bit heads to pilot drill. I look like a westerner with 2 sixguns and it speeds up operations a lot.

Just also got a magnetic Velcro wristband to put on all the screws I have selected and the correct number which is proving useful.

Mens Shed is a great place primarily for Men who have either retired, lost partner or had to stop work for medical issues although fit working men come too. We have 2 tea breaks with choccy biccys and also have outings. We attend and sell goods we have made at local events and take orders to fund our activities and outings.

To some people It is a reason to get up or go out, for others it is to learn a skill or get better.

I hope I have answered everyone's questions.

PJM
PJM
Seedling

Name:

Return to Welcome (Introductions)