It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:29

Ey up Woodhaven!!

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Ey up Woodhaven!!

Postby Davenport » 01 Mar 2019, 12:45

Hey there Woodhaven..

I find myself here after hunting for advice on building the obligatory workshop!! General consensus seems to be, find a bloke called Mike, rumour has it, he frequents these parts..

This still very much in the early planning stages but having moved to a bungalow with a sizeable garden I FINALLY have an opportunity to have my own shop/retreat/man cave rather than using the workshop at my folks place...

Initial plans are vague to say the least but I'm thinking a 6m x 5m footprint..

After a number of years my project car has been built and now I just need a clean, well lit, dry space to polish/tinker/look at it rather than the fabrication and metalwork stuff I've been thru (that said.. the TIG welder and myford lathe will be coming to this new shop)...

From a quick look on here I gather under 30m2 and below 2.5m WONT require planning permission.. but with it being near a boundary WILL require building regs?? Hmmmm more research needed!! 

So yeah... hello.. any pointers or similar builds you know of, feel free to direct me to them... and as I get more of an idea about what I want/need I'll update it on here....

Cheers
Stu
Davenport
Seedling

Name:

Re: Ey up Woodhaven!!

Postby Mike G » 01 Mar 2019, 13:51

Welcome Stu. Glad you found us.

Check out my workshop build thread and the "How to build a shed Mike's way" thread in the Workshop Builds sub-forum. They're a good place to start.

A couple of tips:

.......6x5 is fine, but for the same floor area, 6.25m x 4.8m is much better, because 4.8m is a standard timber length. This will make for a cheaper (and easier) roof.

......don't confuse Planning Permission with Building Regulations. They are absolutely not the same thing. Planning is what you are allowed to build, BR is how you are required to build it. In terms of Planning, If you don't live in a National park, AOB, or World Heritage Site, you are allowed to build a shed in your back garden which covers up to half the area of the land that surrounds your original (unextended) house, subject to height restrictions which change as you get nearer the boundary. Building Regs isn't interested in your building if it is under 30 sq metres internal floor area, unless you are within a metre of a boundary, in which case anything built within that metre should be substantially fire-resistant.

I hope this helps with your initial thinking on the subject.
Last edited by Mike G on 01 Mar 2019, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Davenport » 01 Mar 2019, 14:42

Ahhhhh-ha....

You must be the MIKE I have heard about... thankyou for the quick reply and pointers...

I think this cheaper build + losing 1m of garden space VS fire proof costs and nearer the boundary conundrum will need some serious thinking about.. might have to break out the string and pegs to get an accurate idea how the footprint will sit in the plot...

My main thinking about the 5m dimension was so when the car is on its skates it can be spun through 360° without having to take it outside.. I'll have to throw a tape over it corner to corner and see what I can get away with internally and work from there...

My first thought was to make the roof trusses/supports/beams in steel and have them zinc plated (I'm a welder/fabricator by trade) so hadn't even considered what lengths timber comes in... more to think about.. :? :? :?
Davenport
Seedling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 01 Mar 2019, 16:36

My BR chappie said yes that at 1 m from the boundary and all that, but..........at 1.1m, he wasn’t interested.

So, I got a rod measured to 1.2m and made sure that was the closest the building went to the boundary.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 01 Mar 2019, 17:11

Davenport wrote:......I think this cheaper build + losing 1m of garden space VS fire proof costs and nearer the boundary conundrum will need some serious thinking about.. ..........

There are some inexpensive fibre-cement cladding boards available these days which look just like timber, but are fire resistant and thus allow a timber frame building to be built hard up to the boundary. Be aware that the outside edge of your building should be on your land, and not hanging over the boundary....and this usually means the gutter. So when planning, you need to allow for the wall to be some 6 inches or so back from the boundary, minimum.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Davenport » 01 Mar 2019, 22:04

Hmmmm with regards the building regs... do I have to approach the council to inform them of my plans and materials?? Get them to visit at various stages of the build??
Davenport
Seedling

Name:

Return to Welcome (Introductions)