It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:35

Greetings all...

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Greetings all...

Postby Firestarter » 27 Apr 2019, 16:35

Been lurking for a while and trying to get my head around what I can, can't and should (thanks Mike!) do for my workshop build. When I say mine it's really for my wife who's crafting hobbies are taking over the house, but after too many years of sometimes debilitating illness I'm more than happy that she's found something that she enjoys. The additional benefit is that I'll get to play with power toys/tools and it get to share it when done. :eusa-dance:

Cheers,

Paul
Firestarter
Seedling

Name: Paul

Re: Greetings all...

Postby Andyp » 27 Apr 2019, 17:06

Welcome aboard Paul.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby MY63 » 27 Apr 2019, 18:06

Hi Paul welcome I am pleased to say my leathercraft workshop is almost finished. Well on the outside anyway :)
I can honestly say I would never have gotten to this point without the support of members here. Not just technical there are what Coolhands described as wobbles and I have had a few of them.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby RogerS » 27 Apr 2019, 18:09

Hi Paul - welcome aboard.

We're a friendly bunch !

ATB

Roger

PS We love photos
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 27 Apr 2019, 18:32

Welcome Paul.

What are you planning to build?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Firestarter » 27 Apr 2019, 19:45

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Michael, I binge read your build for the first time this morning and I can't believe what you've achieved in such a short time and over winter too! It was this which pushed me to join today as you've embraced Mike's alternative base, which is something that I'm seriously considering. So on reflection, would you recommend it? I also love the skill in your leatherworking, both new and restorations.

Mike, I'm looking at a build very similar in size and construction to Michael's as we don't have a huge garden. I was debating if to build it wedge shaped (2.4m at rear to 3m at front, 5m long) to fit the back of the garden, with the rear section un-insulated to replace the existing garden shed containing all of the usual paraphernalia and the front insulated as a workshop, but may simplify things by retaining the shed and building in front of it. The workshop would then be rectangular and I could build a dual pitched roof which would be aesthetically more pleasing than the pent which the wedge would probably dictate. All will be within PD and under 2.5 high due to boundary. The ground does however slope so could I make use of the "natural ground" loophole to raise the effective height when I level off?

But first of all I need to replace 2 fences and build a retaining wall (possibly gabion) as the garden is some 750mm below the level of the adjacent road with an earth bank holding it back.

This is now my push to actually start things and not just read and think about it! I know that I'll have plenty of online help on to see me through it. :D

Paul
Firestarter
Seedling

Postby 9fingers » 27 Apr 2019, 20:05

Welcome Paul,
You have found a very friendly helpful corner of the interweb.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 27 Apr 2019, 20:12

I'd try and avoid a wedge shape if at all possible. It does make a few things complicated, especially the roof. But if you have to, you have to.......
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Firestarter » 27 Apr 2019, 21:49

I think I've talked myself out of the asymmetric wedge. It looked good in my head but is way above my skill-set and I'm not drastically short on space. In fact this will be my first timber frame, albeit on a small scale. I do however know that I don't want to buy one of the off-the-shelf "log cabin" kits that abound, both for the sake of longevity and the fact that It'll be satisfying, even though I'll blow the budget, swear a lot and ache in the morning. My dream workshop won't happen until I retire and move to a cheaper location with more land, but as I reach forty-ten later this year it's getting ever closer...
Firestarter
Seedling

Postby Malc2098 » 27 Apr 2019, 22:34

Welcome from deepest Mid-Devon!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby 9fingers » 28 Apr 2019, 08:36

To make best use of your available space maybe consider making panels with all the cladding finished before assembling onto dwarf walls with bolts from the inside. That way you could get right into corners.
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Firestarter » 28 Apr 2019, 21:29

A large willow tree stops me from getting right against the rear boundary and it's a useful hiding ground for the compost bins etc, but I want to get as close as possible to the LHS whilst still having a maintenance gap. The current shed is 400mm from the fence, which allows for a paint brush, but not repeated swings from a hammer, so the pre-clad wall looks a good idea.

IMG_20190428_090401[1].jpg
(596.67 KiB)

And before anyone else says it, yes - the shed is on paving slabs and isn't 150mm clear of the ground! That said, it's 18 years old and holding strong, unlike the wheelbarrow! I hate getting rid of things if they're still functional, which is why I've got to decide if to rotate it through 90 deg and build in front, or say goodbye and absorb the footprint into the new structure.

Time to start a Workshop Builds thread...
Firestarter
Seedling

Postby 9fingers » 28 Apr 2019, 21:40

When I built my workshop, the width was constrained to 3m external by a dirty great apple tree which was at the time a major feature of the garden but within a couple of years of finishing the workshop, it died and I could have had an extra valuable metre of width.

Perhaps If i had got expert advice, they could have told me it was on it's last legs and I could have had a better sized shop.
I wonder if your willow tree might be similar and worthy of such assessment before you start? Just a thought?

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Return to Welcome (Introductions)