It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:12

Hello from mid Kent

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Re: Hello from mid Kent

Postby droogs » 26 Sep 2020, 11:59

Hi Adrian, welcome to the lighter side of a sharpening discussion. I would describe you as a bit more than an Okish woodworker. Not too bad perhaps :)?
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Phil » 26 Sep 2020, 12:11

Doug wrote:
Trevanion wrote:
DaveL wrote:need to find out how to stop them spamming me!

Are they sending you those "Daily Activity" emails? I think they're sending them out specifically to entice old members back. I'm not sure about the legality of it actually, would Charley have been allowed to basically sell all of our emails to an American firm like that?

Yep a few friends have mentioned recently they have started receiving emails even though they’ve not been on UKW for 6 to 7 years, it does seem wrong to me.

Just do the unthinkable - Login and change the settings to not receive any e-mail.
Problem solved.

Although not a big isssue for me as it was to an alternate e-mail address. (not main one for family & friends) ;)
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Trevanion » 26 Sep 2020, 15:12

Malc2098 wrote:Mods, just an observation. Some us haven't a clue about what some members are talking about.

I don't really want to drag it all up on Woodhaven as it has nothing to do with it, but I'll give you the short version for context,

So back at the start of August the UKWorkshop site went down for a day or so and everyone was confused as to what was going on, it eventually came back the next day with a shiny and new look (Zenforo software), a "donation" system where you could pay £20 per year to support the forum, and a couple of new American based Administrators.

After a couple of days of ducking, weaving and completely vague statements and then the membership demanded to know what was actually going on it arose that Charley (the original owner of UKW) had sold the forum to an American company and a takeover commenced that the membership and the moderation staff had no idea was happening prior to it having happened which caused some dissent.

Two of the long-standing moderators, Nev and CHJ left for their own reasons (I suspect Charley selling the forum without a whisper to them was a bit of a stab in the back) whilst Noel quietly stayed on despite not publicly posting anything for almost a year which miffed myself and others because of Noel's history of zero-transparency in his moderation of the forum as well as what happened previously concerning certain members and threads.

So over the last month or so the membership has been making suggestions on how the forum should be more transparently moderated and the rules altered and seemingly none of it has been heeded by the higher-ups whatsoever. A very long-standing feature of the forum (the ability to edit posts without any time limit) was taken away because of a small incident by a single member deleting all his posts, although after a bit of persistent pressure the editing function was re-enabled.

On Wednesday, two new moderators were appointed and I guess some of the membership may be a little disappointed with the choices made (I personally have nothing against either candidate) since neither moderator is actually residing in the UK although they are ex-pats.

So now, UKWorkshop is owned by an American company and has three moderators and two admins, four of which aren't actually in the United Kingdom and the other just quietly lurks in the shadows. To be honest, It should just be called "Workshop" at this point.

It's a great resource and I haven't been a member of it particularly long but it does feel like it's lost its soul a bit in the last few months, even more so if the long-standing and valued contributors leave, although it is understandable.

Actually, that turned into the long version, sorry.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 26 Sep 2020, 16:45

Well, that about sums it up Trevanion.

I had no intention that my "hello" here should turn out quite this way, but it is true that the way in which the takeover was handled, and then moderation continued to be totally un-transparent and high handed from the remaining prior mod who never posted anything useful since I joined, has put some people off, including me.

Probably the people who know me from over there, will be aware that I don't ever get involved in public fights and name calling, but I got tired of the trolling and indulgence of some people who would start threads, seeking advice, receive it (perfectly good advice from people who actually know what they are doing) and then have a big tantrum because it may have implied that learning to walk before we can run is a good idea. This tantrum behaviour was indulged by the forum "staff" and longstanding members who raised a voice against it, were criticised either publicly or apparently by mod warnings.

To be fair a few were privately sounded out about being mods. It was difficult to be enthusiastic. Forum "owners" for niche activities anyway, need to recognise that they are nothing without the small number of members who deliver most of the heavy duty threads and sensible answers.

So....I have not left the other place. Yet. But I came here in search of a place where people can help each other without fear or favour. I got a lot of help from people over there - and it seems half of them at least are over here as well. I like to think I gave a bit of help to some. I certainly have needed a good deal from fellow woodworkers, and have received it too.

Kind regards to all

Adrian
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 26 Sep 2020, 17:03

Many thanks to both of you, and again, Adrian, a warm welcome from me.

With regard to UKW perhaps we can draw a line under this now ? Anyone from UKW is welcome here.

.......Provided they behave ! ;)
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 26 Sep 2020, 18:25

No mention of the name of the other place has been made by me. A
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 26 Sep 2020, 21:41

AJB Temple wrote:No mention of the name of the other place has been made by me. A

I appreciate that, Adrian, and apologise if you think the post was aimed at you.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 26 Sep 2020, 22:13

We're cool Roger. A
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Previous

Return to Welcome (Introductions)