It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:38

Hello

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Re: Hello

Postby RogerS » 12 Dec 2020, 19:15

Steve Maskery wrote:Mark
I've found them. They are stuck on the server. I don't know why they are not getting as far as my Mac or PC, but at least I know where they are now. There are quite a few others as well...

Thank you for taking a look.
S

Your aunt in Nigeria will have been wondering why you hadn't replied. :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Just4fun » 12 Dec 2020, 20:50

TrimTheKing wrote:Genuinely mate, and I mean this with no nastiness, if that's people's reason for not joining a forum then I'm really not that bothered about having them here. If that's something that really bothers people, more than the interactions and the content, then I suspect they are people who will find fault with more than that once members.

As a newcomer I am reluctant to comment on this but I do sympathise with anyone who has a real problem with a colour scheme. I am colour blind and there have been sites that I stayed away from because they were so awkward for me to deal with. This site is fine for me, but others may literally see things differently.
Just4fun
New Shoots

Name:

Hello

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Dec 2020, 01:40

Just4fun wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:Genuinely mate, and I mean this with no nastiness, if that's people's reason for not joining a forum then I'm really not that bothered about having them here. If that's something that really bothers people, more than the interactions and the content, then I suspect they are people who will find fault with more than that once members.

As a newcomer I am reluctant to comment on this but I do sympathise with anyone who has a real problem with a colour scheme. I am colour blind and there have been sites that I stayed away from because they were so awkward for me to deal with. This site is fine for me, but others may literally see things differently.

That right there is a very fair point and one I didn’t think of when typing my reply.

I replied on the basis of people not liking the look rather than having genuine vision issues with the colours, but I do take your point.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Re: Hel

Postby Andyp » 13 Dec 2020, 07:57

TrimTheKing wrote:
Just4fun wrote:

That right there is a very fair point and one I didn’t think of when typing my reply.

I replied on the basis of people not liking the look rather than having genuine vision issues with the colours, but I do take your point.

Which is why using, for example, the Add-Ons I mentioned that were available in Firefox might be a better solution that can be tailored by the individual member than changing the forum layout.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby AndyT » 13 Dec 2020, 11:02

This has been a useful digression for me. Initially, I thought it a bit odd that the forum text showed up so tiny when reading on my phone. (Opera browser on Android.)

I used to just double tap to zoom in.

I now know that I can get a bigger size of text simply by rotating to landscape.

I've also dug deeper into the settings and found that the display was using my default text size, which I can set larger. I have control over the colours too.

This is all good and as it should be.
Websites should leave choices to the user where possible, so we can adjust displays to suit our own needs.

I also like the absence of lots of ads and buttons all tracking my every move.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 13 Dec 2020, 12:02

TrimTheKing wrote:....

Another anecdote.

BBC Ealing Film Studios - back in the day. A new car park scheme was proposed. Cars would park in their allocated car parks with suitable coloured permits displayed. Red/Green/Yellow. There was an uproar and the alternative system of Square/Circle/Triangle duly adopted.

I kid you not.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Dec 2020, 12:53

RogerS wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:....

Another anecdote.

BBC Ealing Film Studios - back in the day. A new car park scheme was proposed. Cars would park in their allocated car parks with suitable coloured permits displayed. Red/Green/Yellow. There was an uproar and the alternative system of Square/Circle/Triangle duly adopted.

I kid you not.

Does make sense thought given red/green colourblindness is the most common. I asked a mate of mine to explain colourblindness to me using the status light colours on Skype in work a couple of years ago. They are basically green if the person is online, red if in a meeting or DND, yellow if 'away'. He said he basically saw them all as slightly different shades of the same colour.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Malc2098 » 13 Dec 2020, 12:56

Same reason motorway diversion route signs are denoted by shapes and are only yellow or black.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby fiveeyes » 13 Dec 2020, 18:06

Steve Maskery wrote:I've had an account here for yonks, but didn't want the hassle of maintaining two parallel conversations. But, like me or loathe me, here I am :)

Well, I must say that you,sir, are quite a celebrity. Such a welcome, that,I, wholly support.
Welcome, from the colonies.
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby Lurker » 13 Dec 2020, 19:33

fiveeyes wrote:
Steve Maskery wrote:I've had an account here for yonks, but didn't want the hassle of maintaining two parallel conversations. But, like me or loathe me, here I am :)

Well, I must say that you,sir, are quite a celebrity. Such a welcome, that,I, wholly support.
Welcome, from the colonies.

Now now, don’t overdo it!

Otherwise Steve will have to use the double door to get into his workshop. ;)
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Chris101 » 13 Dec 2020, 21:43

He's already had to open a personal account with Staedtler to recover 'lost' pencils since Lurker helped out with that build.
:?
Chris101
Sapling

Name:

Postby sammy.se » 18 Dec 2020, 22:20

Hi Steve, nice to see you.
sammy.se
New Shoots

Name:

Postby garno » 19 Dec 2020, 18:41

I like you :eusa-dance:
The older I become the more things I find wrong the young.
garno
Seedling

Name:

Previous

Return to Welcome (Introductions)