It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:02

What a struggle

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

What a struggle

Postby sunnybob » 11 Mar 2021, 11:50

I wanted an oak board ripped down the middle. 240 mm x 50 mm . My bandsaw will only go to 180 mm. I cut it into two manageable lengths, one of a metre and one of about .75 metre and took them to my favourite woodyard to beg the use of their bandsaw.
Blimey, 2 grown men almost wet their pants at the suggestion of ripping that height! Too dangerous! can not be done! among other greek mutterings I didnt catch.
Once they had calmed down one of them suggested a cabinet shop around the corner.

Get there and a youngster (about late 20's) said yes he could do it. But then he proceeded to show me that he could not. The bandsaw was plenty big enough, I reckon the wheels were about 30", but when he started to wander off centre I stopped him and explained that his fence was tilted (a LOT!) and his blade was blunt (a bit) and this was not going to work.
Give the lad his due, over we go to very large sliding panel table saw and he saws through both edges till theres about 90 mm left in the middle.
Then we go back to the bandsaw and he AGAIN pushes it so tight to the tilted fence that the blade starts to wander again. He wouldnt let me do it (understandable but annoying) so I had to show him to let go with the fence hand and very slightly push with the other hand to keep the blade in the groove.

Finally, I have 4 pieces!
but then, unasked, we go over to a planer thicknesser that had iron beds at east 6 ft long and he thicknesses it down to 20 mm for me.
well worth the ten euro he asked for.

As a side note, he lubricated the blade a couple of times by squirting olive oil onto it. All well and good but now my oak needs a good sanding to remove the stain.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Re: What a struggle

Postby NickM » 11 Mar 2021, 12:43

At least you got there in the end. It's good that at least have a few places like this to get help with this sort of thing. I'm not sure I'd know where to go for something like that.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Sheffield Tony » 11 Mar 2021, 12:47

Or ... 28" hand ripsaw, 3 or 4 TPI, less time than it took you, and saves on time at the gym ;)
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby novocaine » 11 Mar 2021, 12:58

Sheffield Tony wrote:Or ... 28" hand ripsaw, 3 or 4 TPI, less time than it took you, and saves on time at the gym ;)

stop it, we all know our Bob doesn't do hand tools unless its the last resort. :o
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby clogs » 11 Mar 2021, 14:58

went to my wood supplier Chania, Crete....
bought a load of soft wood and asked for some of it to be PAR...they also threw a load of Olive Oil on the bed...
grrr....but there was no charge at all.....

can't wait till my big un is up and running....hopefully by the end of this summer....
clogs
Sapling

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 11 Mar 2021, 15:46

No way would I attempt that by hand. Only the week before last I had to split some walnut that was too high for the bandsaw.
I ran it through through the table saw on all 4 edges but still had about 5" x 3" to hand saw.
I dug out my handsaws... yes, I have them :shock: after 5 minutes with each of them I threw away the two worst ones. The third had a back so it was no good for this task. Then I had to go to the local shop to buy another. The only one they had was a cheap and nasty 8 euro thing.
After another half hour trying to saw through I ended up using a 4" bolster and club hammer to split it apart. After all that work I had to quit early and restore my strength with a couple of double vodkas :eusa-dance:

Thanks, but no thanks to hand sawing any damn thing.. :eusa-naughty:

I can normally get things done for free when i get wood but I didnt object to paying the guy to cut the oak. i hadnt bought it from them and he must have used at least a tenners worth of blades and electricity, not counting 20 cents worth of olive oil :lol:
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Welcome (Introductions)