It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:46

Introduction

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Introduction

Postby tabs » 12 Dec 2014, 22:56

Hi

Tez here. I'm in Lancs very near to Wigan. I have always been into DIY and power tools but never really been what I consider a proper woodworker(Someone like my woodwork teacher at school(a long time ago) who could make amazing things with just hand tools!) but I have always been handy enough to get most things done to an average standard. Anyway after reaching the grand old age of 50 I am finally building myself a decent size shed (probably 10x16) to replace the shoddily built 6x8 that I built 16 years ago in the very same garden!(I say shoddily built but the roof still doesn't leak and its still standing!) And hopefully getting a few proper woodwork machines when finances allow.

Anyway I been reading the shed build threads with interest and that s in fact what lead me to this site so thanks for that!

I 'm sure I will have plenty of questions and appreciate any help you folks can give . Professionally I have had quite a few different jobs among them high school teacher, Network/IT trainer and Gas Engineer. ATM I am gainfully employed home education my 13 year son while I repair some of the failing of the school he attended for two years and he also takes time out to work on his tennis.
tabs
New Shoots

Name: Tez

Re: Introduction

Postby RogerS » 12 Dec 2014, 23:15

Hi Tez and welcome to the forum. Just ask away !
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Dec 2014, 00:07

Hi Tez.

Nice to see another Northener signing up! Not too far away from me.

Look forward to your shed build. :)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 13 Dec 2014, 08:20

Hello Tez, and welcome from me too.

As you can see we like workshop builds, 10x 16, I assume, is in feet. Should be ample enough space. Be sure to post some pictures and if you have any of past projects etc all the better.

I'm another home worker ;) although sometimes I would not call it gainfully employed and the pay is abysmal. :D
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby chataigner » 13 Dec 2014, 12:43

Welcome Tez - look forward to seeing your progress.

I'm most of the way through fitting out the barn that adjoins my house. Been working on it a bit over a year thanks to interruptions such as installing a second bathroom in the house.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Robert » 13 Dec 2014, 17:45

Hello and welcome :)

get a couple more posts under your belt and the moderated thing will go away.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby tabs » 13 Dec 2014, 18:25

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Sorry yes its 10 by 16 feet.

I'm planning on getting started in January . I know I've picked a bad time of the year for it but for various reasons it couldn't be avoided. I'm just going to have to pray for breaks in the weather so I can the base done. :lol:

I've just started trying to plan it - although its not something I've done before. The last shed I built I just bought roughly what I thought I'd need and knocked up without any drawings :eusa-doh:

ATM I'm using pen and paper although I have promised myself to attempt to learn autocad next year so might make a start with it now.

Hopefully I can work out how much timber I will need and so get a ball park figure to present to the missus for what it will cost within the next week or so. I going down the single slope roof path as its quite close to the boundary and I don't want it too high. Thats about all I have decided for definate at the moment though.
tabs
New Shoots

Postby Mike G » 13 Dec 2014, 19:22

Welcome Tez. I'll be following your workshop build with interest. Feel free to ask away about anything regarding its construction that I can help you with.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby tabs » 16 Dec 2014, 19:43

TrimTheKing wrote:Hi Tez.

Nice to see another Northener signing up! Not too far away from me.

Look forward to your shed build. :)

Cheers
Mark

Born and bred Lancashire Mark! (Well thats a bit of a lie actually I was born in the US but my family are all Lancastrians and I've always lived here).

We northerners must stick together as its grim up 'ere! ;) :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Last edited by tabs on 16 Dec 2014, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
tabs
New Shoots

Postby tabs » 16 Dec 2014, 19:44

Andyp wrote:Hello Tez, and welcome from me too.

As you can see we like workshop builds, 10x 16, I assume, is in feet. Should be ample enough space. Be sure to post some pictures and if you have any of past projects etc all the better.

I'm another home worker ;) although sometimes I would not call it gainfully employed and the pay is abysmal. :D

Ditto on the pay bit Andy, but at least we can brew up whenever we want!
tabs
New Shoots

Postby Wizard9999 » 16 Dec 2014, 20:27

tabs wrote:Hopefully I can work out how much timber I will need and so get a ball park figure to present to the missus for what it will cost within the next week or so. I going down the single slope roof path as its quite close to the boundary and I don't want it too high. Thats about all I have decided for definate at the moment though.

Welcome Tez. I'm slowly getting through my build. My first tip is don't take any notice of the ridiculous pace Mike works at, no mere mortal can keep up with that.

On the timber costings, brace yourself, I just got my first of three quotes back today :shock: . More on my build thread later tonight.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Andyp » 16 Dec 2014, 20:59

tabs wrote:
Andyp wrote:Hello Tez, and welcome from me too.

Ditto on the pay bit Andy, but at least we can brew up whenever we want!

I agree but I rarely do. Between taking the kids to school and having to stop to prepare their lunch (and then collect them) I get about 2 or 2.5 hours. 30 mins to stop, brew, and drink a cuppa just takes too long. Same problem in the afternoon. First cuppa I get, unless someone is here to make it for me, is at about 4.30pm
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Return to Welcome (Introductions)