It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:54

Another member from South Africa

Visit here first to sign the visitors book, say your first 'Hello', share something about yourself and have a read of the forum rules.

Another member from South Africa

Postby Woolf » 24 Jan 2015, 19:46

Hi,
I was directed to this site by MikeG. We are members of the 4x4 Community Forum where Mike has been posting some details of his building. Your methods of building is very different to what we use in SA and I wanted to follow the discussion by people who are au fait with your construction methods. I have not been disappointed. Over here we build with bricks and mortar and pay very little attention to energy saving and insulation although this is changing in view of the energy constraints we are facing at the moment.

I have a daughter who lives in London and we visit regularly. As an avid DIY'er I do a lot of repairs at her home and the start of any job is always trying to understand how your construction methods work. They are moving to a bigger house later in the year and there will definitely be some building to do. Hopefully I will be able to put the knowledge that I pick up here to good use.

As a DIY'er I have tried my hand at most things but my particular interest has been metalwork. The woodworking that I have done is very basic but I plan to improve these skills. I have already picked up a wealth of knowledge since following and subsequently joining this forum.

Looking forward to being here
Woolf
Seedling

Name: Woolf

Re: Another member from South Africa

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Jan 2015, 20:16

Hi Woolf and welcome aboard.

Apologies again for the delay in approving you… :)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 24 Jan 2015, 20:17

You are most welcome Woolf, pull up a chair and enjoy looking around. Mike's building thread is not that representative of many UK building techniques, however it is meeting all the regulations and everything Mike does is for a good solid reason.
Lots of other members are following it with great interest and we are learning lots from it.

You next two posts will get delayed for moderation as an anti spam measure but after that you can post in real time and have visibility of the whole forum.

Cheers

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 25 Jan 2015, 08:46

Baie welkom by ons klein forum, Woolf. Good to see you here.

To add a nuance to what Bob said, the reason I build the way I do is so that I can far exceed the thermal performance criteria of the Building Regulations ("the Regs"). The last house I lived in, which I built, was the second most energy efficient building in Britain at the time it was built. For a little bit of thought, and without spending much extra money, one can have very low energy buildings in whatever climate.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 25 Jan 2015, 08:53

Welcome form me too. Plenty of expertise around here to help you, No matter how basic your skills don't be afraid to share. Remember pictures speak a thousand words.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 25 Jan 2015, 11:09

And a warm welcome from me, Woolf
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 25 Jan 2015, 11:15

hello and welcome :)
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Alex » 25 Jan 2015, 13:34

Welkom Mark. Ive just joined this group as well. I grew up in South Africa, Jhb, now live in Uk for past 14 yrs.
Alex
Seedling

Name:

Postby Phil » 31 Jan 2015, 18:45

Hallo Woolf, baie welkom hier!

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Return to Welcome (Introductions)