It is currently 03 Mar 2024, 20:34

CNC routing service

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

CNC routing service

Postby the bear » 07 Dec 2023, 12:27

Does anyone know of a cnc routing service where I could get a single word cut? Quite small, about 9x5 inches and a 7 letter word. In oak which I can supply or they can, don’t mind. I would guess this is small enough to be done mail order.

I know we have some expert hand letter carvers on here. That might be something for the future but not this time, don’t have the time. It’s not a Christmas present but do need sooner rather than later.

Thanks

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Re: CNC routing service

Postby the bear » 07 Dec 2023, 12:28

This type of thing
Attachments
IMG_2538.jpeg
(575.77 KiB)
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 07 Dec 2023, 12:34

It would only take you a couple of hours at most to carve 7 letters. Anything done with a V bit, like the example you put in the photo, always looks routed. Hand carved uses different angles for one side of the cut so you get a wide side and a narrow side, which gives an excellent shadow effect.

Depending on how pushed for time you are, I could probably carve it for you if you draw a blank on the CNC side.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name: Adrian

Postby the bear » 07 Dec 2023, 15:43

Adrian
I just don't have the time, will be away a fair bit in the next few weeks. In addition having never having done it I don't have any curved gouges for inside curves and in all honestly I'm just not confident I could do it in time to a good enough standard. As I said something I'd like to try maybe in the future. I do appreciate what you say about the hand carved ones though

Your offer is also extremely generous but from your comments in other threads it sounds like you have a lot on the go at the moment. So unless carving signs is your passion and is any excuse to do that instead of other tasks I wouldn't want to put you out.

Best Regards

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby meccarroll » 08 Dec 2023, 11:16

the bear wrote:Does anyone know of a cnc routing service where I could get a single word cut? Quite small, about 9x5 inches and a 7 letter word. In oak which I can supply or they can, don’t mind. I would guess this is small enough to be done mail order.

I know we have some expert hand letter carvers on here. That might be something for the future but not this time, don’t have the time. It’s not a Christmas present but do need sooner rather than later.

Thanks

Mark

Type "Etsy" into your browser
loads of sellers on there. They do this type of thing all the time so can be profitable to some of them but for a one off it may not really be worth the time spent on producing it.

Also think about laser engraved/etched too!

Mark

[img]
Etsy.JPG
[/img]
Attachments
Etsy.JPG
(218.78 KiB)
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 08 Dec 2023, 11:30

the bear wrote:Adrian
Your offer is also extremely generous but from your comments in other threads it sounds like you have a lot on the go at the moment. So unless carving signs is your passion and is any excuse to do that instead of other tasks I wouldn't want to put you out.

Best Regards

Mark

The fact that I always have a lot on is precisely the reason why I clutch at displacement activities. :lol: Genuine offer but up to you of course.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Postby the bear » 08 Dec 2023, 17:17

Mark
I've contacted a few Etsy traders already as I thought that a small buisness like that would be the way to go but either the replies suggest they are set up for the few things they do and a deviation from that isn't a road they want to go down or they just dont reply. Of course I have not tried every trader on there.

Ref the laser engraved/etched, what actually is that ive never been sure. Is the wood essentially printed on or does it indent the wood? Am I left with black lettering? Again would need to find someone who could do it.

Adrian

I'll drop you a PM tomorrow (just about to go to Kew), see if you can advise if what I'm after is feasible

Thanks both

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 08 Dec 2023, 17:32

Our local “fork candles” hardware store has and outdoor display in finer weather of house name signs with a couple of fonts and 2-3 styles. Ive assumed a local woodworker sells bespoke signs through them

You might find something similar near you. Garden centres might be another source?

Bob

I just googled “bespoke house name signs uk” and got loadsa hits
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Sequoia

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby AJB Temple » 08 Dec 2023, 18:36

There seem to be numerous on-line services that are not silly money, eg https://www.sign-maker.co.uk/oak-house- ... 5215-p.asp
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Postby Cabinetman » 08 Dec 2023, 21:16

Hi Mark,
"Ref the laser engraved/etched, what actually is that ive never been sure. Is the wood essentially printed on or does it indent the wood? Am I left with black lettering? Again would need to find someone who could do it."

I had some small pieces of oak laser cut with peoples names for my sons wedding place thingies, it actually burns away the surface, and it smells really bad btw.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby meccarroll » 09 Dec 2023, 10:10

Cabinetman wrote:Hi Mark,
"Ref the laser engraved/etched, what actually is that ive never been sure. Is the wood essentially printed on or does it indent the wood? Am I left with black lettering? Again would need to find someone who could do it."

I had some small pieces of oak laser cut with peoples names for my sons wedding place thingies, it actually burns away the surface, and it smells really bad btw.

Ok I am not a technical expert on either a laser or CNC machine but I do have both machines.

In layman terms... The CNC cuts and engraves with router type bits (quite a bit more to it than that really but that's the simple explanation).

The laser etches the wood or other material by cutting/burning into it (also a lot more to it but you only need the laser no other tooling).

Some examples of laser work I have done:

[img]
Blk%20Card%20Lion.jpg
[/img]
[img]
Lion%20Glass.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
Lion Glass.jpg
Laser etched Lion on Glass
(164.63 KiB)
Blk Card Lion.jpg
Laser etched Lion on Black Card
(296.26 KiB)
Lion Wood1.jpg
Laser etched lion on solid oak
(682.59 KiB)
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby meccarroll » 09 Dec 2023, 10:47

the bear wrote:Mark

I've contacted a few Etsy traders already as I thought that a small buisness like that would be the way to go but either the replies suggest they are set up for the few things they do and a deviation from that isn't a road they want to go down or they just dont reply. Of course I have not tried every trader on there.

Yes that's what I I was getting at regarding time and pricing, meaning the market is so saturated with sellers that it's not feasible price wise to spend too much time on a simple engraving. I think those that do sell keep to a simple set up so their time is limited on the production side and the price is relatively affordable.

If you want something that is not on the shelf then you really need to know what you want and submit that design to an individual that does off shelf stuff. It can be very time consuming going backward and forward between a customer and Designer/manufacturer and if there is not a lot of money in it a lot of people have will not to engage.

Ref the laser engraved/etched, what actually is that ive never been sure. Is the wood essentially printed on or does it indent the wood? Am I left with black lettering? Again would need to find someone who could do it.

both

I have put some examples of laser work I have done on this thread so you start to get an idea of the differences. CNC and Laser both have their place in woodwork, I think if you have a creative mind you can really pull the best out of each machine.

Laser machines can etch, cut burn different materials etc. The laser essentially burns into the surface of a material and generally leaves a dark finish on wood materials but that is not always the case as on glass it etches the surface and leaves no burning effect. I currently use a 20W Diode laser but am now thinking about buying an 80W CO2 Laser. There is a lot to learn and you find that once you start digging.
Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby the bear » 11 Dec 2023, 18:16

Had a bit of a weekend, so thanks to all the replies, I haven't abandoned this thread. I think from the examples posted (thank you) it is definitely CNC routed (or hand carved) I want for this project. The laser looks like it has loads of potential but probably not in keeping with this project and where its going. Adrian, I'm going to PM you as I said I would to pick your brains.

Thanks

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby MattS » 12 Dec 2023, 12:08

Hi Mark

Bit late to this, but if you don't get satisfactory responses from the Etys sellers you may want to try Kelly, The Gentleman Maker:

https://www.thegentlemanmaker.com/home

He's in the same village as me, lovely chap, I'm sure would post. I've used him for both CNC and 3D printing for one off jobs.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby the bear » 13 Dec 2023, 22:29

Thanks Matt just seen this. That might be striking distance for me, I work near the Surrey Kent border. WIthout wanting you to reveal where you live, can you give me an idea where he is (or PM me), couldn't see anything on the website

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Return to General Woodworking