It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:34

Kitchen in New Build - advice please

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Kitchen in New Build - advice please

Postby RogerM » 12 Jul 2017, 15:20

Guys - some kitchen advice needed please. My daughter has just bought a 1950's slum in a glorious 1/2 acre plot near Hindhead, Surrey. Plan is to knock down and build something either by Border Oak or Scandiahus - a bit like this.

There is no blank cheque for the kitchen, and it's far too big a job for me to tackle from a distance. She's looking for something traditional and like all of us, wants to get the most "bang for her buck".

She likes all the internal features in the kitchen I made and I've suggested that provided the carcases are appropriately sized, smart internals, like internal drawers, mixer lift, waste management, Le Mans Corners etc can be a retro-fit, which I would do. I would also be prepared to build the island.

Are there any small kitchen firms (i.e small firms - not small kitchens!) that you can recommend in the Hindhead area?

Would it save sufficient money to be worth the hassle to buy in separate carcases and doors? If so, from who?

Worktops are likely to be laminate for the first 5 years or so until the budget has recovered enough to fit granite or equivalent.

Any advice gratefully received.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Re: Kitchen in New Build - advice please

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Jul 2017, 15:30

Roger,

I cannot answer anything except comment on your last sentence.

When I fitted the kitchen here to a budget, I was tempted to go for a solid wood worktop instead of laminate (we both agreed we didn't want granite).

In the end, In opted for bamboo. I have to say it is extremely stable, works extremely well, as any wood would, finishes extremely well with Osmo, and has worn well, and after 3 years it's now only just due a re-coat.

Just my three ha'peth.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Tusses » 12 Jul 2017, 16:51

I was going to suggest the other place .. WWUK , but I see you went there too. :)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerM » 15 Jul 2017, 11:29

Malc2098 wrote:Roger,

I cannot answer anything except comment on your last sentence.

When I fitted the kitchen here to a budget, I was tempted to go for a solid wood worktop instead of laminate (we both agreed we didn't want granite).

In the end, In opted for bamboo. I have to say it is extremely stable, works extremely well, as any wood would, finishes extremely well with Osmo, and has worn well, and after 3 years it's now only just due a re-coat.

Just my three ha'peth.

Thanks for the feedback Malc. I wouldn't disagree with you, but madam is likely to want granite ultimately, and it's just a case of deciding what she can afford to live with until the coffers have been refilled sufficiently to fund it! :)
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Jul 2017, 18:14

RogerM wrote:...but madam is likely to want granite ultimately, and it's just a case of deciding what she can afford to live with until the coffers have been refilled sufficiently to fund it! :)

It's what Dadikins is for! :lol: :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerM » 18 Jul 2017, 14:01

Woodbloke wrote:
RogerM wrote:...but madam is likely to want granite ultimately, and it's just a case of deciding what she can afford to live with until the coffers have been refilled sufficiently to fund it! :)

It's what Dadikins is for! :lol: :lol: - Rob

In her dreams Rob! :) Whilst I'm fully behind the project it's way more than I could ever hope to do.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Return to General Woodworking