It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:33

Notice Board

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Notice Board

Postby riclepp » 12 Jun 2015, 10:44

Morning all

Got a question. I have to make a 3m x1.5m notice board out of cherry. The top and bottom of the notice board are 1.5m plus the tennon sections, these are to be mitred and biscuited in the corners. The client don't want MDF (cool). I have the cherry the frame is going to be 100mm wide by 25mm thick, now the question I have is, what would be the best way to joint the two sections. My thoughts were to M&T and the let in a straight bracket top and bottom?????? Would this work?

By the way the daler bord will be in three secton as will the backing ply (3mm). Total weight will be around 35 - 45kgs, I am supplying heavy duty fixings and the client is installing it, have advised the client to ensure it is fitted to the stud work and not just the plasterboard.

Hope this makes sense :eusa-pray:

Cheers
Life is always giving you a second chance, it's called tomorrow.
riclepp
New Shoots

Name: Richard Leppard

Re: Notice Board

Postby Mike G » 12 Jun 2015, 13:36

I'm struggling to follow, I'm afraid. Which "two sections" are you asking about?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Robert » 12 Jun 2015, 14:08

I think you are asking how to make a butt join in a 100 x 25mm profile which is half way along a 3m run of frame...

I'd guess the answer is different if you have access to the back before it goes on the wall. if you can get to the back then a screwed and glued insert piece would do it. if one half gets hung then the other half offered up to it you can only have a sliding joint and maybe some locking screws through the frame edge if they can't be seen.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Rod » 12 Jun 2015, 21:43

A drawing or sketch might help?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to General Woodworking