It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:19

Glueing melamine to mdf

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Glueing melamine to mdf

Postby Wizard9999 » 16 Jun 2015, 10:24

I'm looking to make a fence for the router table Bob kindly gave me. It will be something very similar to the Norm fence / Steve Ramsey fence, so nothing very exotic.

I have some offcuts of melamine covered mdf board that I made sure our kitchen fitters left when they finished our kitchen a while back, so I'm planning to use that for the adjustable secondary fence sections, but it is only 14mm thick and therefore I think too thin to sink any T- Track into. I also have some 9mm mdf and I therefore thought I would make a laminated piece using these two, but before doing this wanted to check if anyone can say for sure whether normal wood glue will work in sticking the melamine surface (board covered on both sides) to the mdf. Thoughts, experience or suggestions much appreciated.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Re: Glueing melamine to mdf

Postby Robert » 16 Jun 2015, 12:11

I've never had a T track on my router table and never found the need for one. Are you sure you need it?

hmmm reading again you may not be talking about in the table surface...
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 16 Jun 2015, 12:16

Gut feeling is that ww glues won't work too well. Maybe a contact adhesive would be OK. Abrade the melamine to improve the key.
My fence is plain MDF and I don't find it needs to me more slippy - I make more than enough slips!

Don't for get these section tend to get consumed by profile cutters over time and need trimming and eventual replacement.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Rod » 16 Jun 2015, 12:56

I would use a contact one - that was the glue of choice when sticking down sheets of Formica.

I have a track on my table bed which I find very useful both for attaching feather boards and my Incra Mitre Guage
My fence is made of ply with no tracks

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 16 Jun 2015, 13:21

Rod wrote:I would use a contact one - that was the glue of choice when sticking down sheets of Formica.

I have a track on my table bed which I find very useful both for attaching feather boards and my Incra Mitre Guage
My fence is made of ply with no tracks

Rod

Following the lead of both Norm and Steve I plan a mitre track in the bed and a T-track in the top half (fixed) of the fence.

Having reflected on it, the top half of the melamine section will be screwed to the backing part of the fence, i.e. the part the two moveable sections move along. Given this I do not think I need to do any gluing of the melamine, but instead can fit the track to the back section and then attach the melamine above and below the track as the melamine and track are very close to being the same depth, 14mm and 13mm respectively.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Phil » 21 Jun 2015, 10:20

Hi, my 0.25P opinion a bit late in the day - normal PVA wood glues won’t penetrate the melamine, so that ones out.

I would be weary of contact glue onto the melamine bearing in mind that melamine is only .5mm thick and stuck on with a resin formulation, not that great a surface.
Contact glue onto formica and raw PB and MDF works extremely well.

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby martc » 21 Jun 2015, 16:35

Contact glue does work well with melamine, just make sure both sides are completely covered and evenly spread. if its a large area you are glueing then put some paper between the two pieces, line up the edges and gently pull the paper out. hope this helps
martc
Seedling

Name: Martin

Return to General Woodworking