It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:31

Shades of Huck Finn...

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Shades of Huck Finn...

Postby kirkpoore1 » 01 Jul 2015, 02:51

Building the amount of stuff I do, I get my wood from a sawmill. I mean, you just can't get sycamore 2x16's from lumber yard, and even if you could, they would be stupidly expensive. So I have to buy wood from a mill at least a year ahead of time and let it air dry.
I put in a 1300 bd ft order with a sawmill about an hour south of here near Prairie Du Rocher. This was in early June. I called owner tonight to see if the order was ready. He said he was going to saw this weekend. He said he had the red oak on hand, but with the heavy rains we'd been having the the first set of sycamore logs were somewhere down past Cairo (Illinois). It seems that when the Mississippi river went out of it's banks the logs were caught and floated away.:)

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Re: Shades of Huck Finn...

Postby Rod » 01 Jul 2015, 08:19

I saw a programme about moving the enormous rafts of lumber with the handlers running on top of the logs with chains, spikes and a hammer? - keeping them all together.
Looked very dangerous?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 02 Jul 2015, 02:38

Rod wrote:I saw a programme about moving the enormous rafts of lumber with the handlers running on top of the logs with chains, spikes and a hammer? - keeping them all together.
Looked very dangerous?

Rod

I would imagine so, but an article on Wikipedia says otherwise. Nobody has shipped logs like that on the Mississippi for a very long time, probably not since smaller steam-powered sawmills became common and railroads were widely available to ship the cut lumber.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Jul 2015, 10:01

kirkpoore1 wrote:...but with the heavy rains we'd been having the the first set of sycamore logs were somewhere down past Cairo (Illinois). It seems that when the Mississippi river went out of it's banks the logs were caught and floated away.:)

Kirk

Floated away gone, or floated away and been revcovered??? :shock:

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 02 Jul 2015, 10:21

Kirk,

Could you confirm "board foot" please? is it equivalent to 1 square foot of 1" thick timber?

We used to use cubic feet as a timber measure (equivalent to 12 board ft??)

Now UK suppliers are quoting in cubic metres which is one hell of a lot of timber with prices being specified £hundreds per cu m.

Cheers

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Jul 2015, 10:23

[quote="9fingers"]Kirk,

Could you confirm "board foot" please? is it equivalent to 1 square foot of 1" thick timber?

/quote]

Yep a board foot is 12" * 12" * 1", or any combination of measurements to make up the same volume.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby kirkpoore1 » 02 Jul 2015, 15:48

TrimTheKing wrote:
Floated away gone, or floated away and been revcovered??? :shock:

Cheers
Mark

Not recovered, at least by him. I said it was Huck Finn style.:)

Yes, 12 bdft = 1 cu ft.

I'm buying 1300 bdft of lumber, which comes to about 3 cu m. I don't have a final price yet, but it should be about $2000-$2500, plus $100 for delivery. If I picked it up myself I would have to make 3 trips (~six hours driving time), so the delivery charge is well worth it.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 02 Jul 2015, 16:08

That's a serious amount of timber Kirk! no matter what units you measure it in :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Return to General Woodworking