It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:03

Google rankings and old url

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Google rankings and old url

Postby Halo Jones » 25 Jul 2014, 17:47

Hi folks,

Enjoying having this site back but two related comments.

1) google search does not bring back a hit to the forum. I know it is early days but as I keep forgetting to bookmark it would be useful to get the rankings up!

2) would it be possible to register the old woodhaven url and have anyone pointing to it be redirected to here?

Both the above might help bring people back.

Cheers,

H.
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Google rankings and old url

Postby Halo Jones » 25 Jul 2014, 17:54

Oops. Maybe this should have gone in the bugs and feature requests section. Happy to have it moved.
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 25 Jul 2014, 17:56

Hi Halo

Thanks for your questions

The old URL is still registered to Tom so we cannot use it in any way at all. We have the nearest URL to the old one that we can.

Google Bot is starting to crawl over the site now. When we were developing the new haven, we had a test version running live on line and it took about 2 weeks before google searches would find it (and the spam to start!!)
So far with this site, we have the spam beginning to arrive but we are trapping that fairly effectively and Google will catch up soon.

Search engine optimisation is a black art to most of us so possibly best left to Google to do it for us

In the meantime, the easy answer to browsing for the site is to use bookmarks.

hth

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 25 Jul 2014, 17:56

Hi H

When you say Google doesn't return anything, what do you mean? If I Google woodhaven2 I get the page as the top site...

Ref registering the old link, I'm afraid that's not possible. The whole reason for a new site is due to the old one being registered by Tom, but the site behind it is no longer live. We cannot re-register the name until it's ownership expires.

Ideally Tom will be available before then and we can merge the two sites, but until that happens we are effectively a new entity.

Will see what I can do about getting the Google rating up, but I am seeing plenty of bots visiting so I think in time that should be self propagating.

thanks
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Halo Jones » 26 Jul 2014, 07:07

I didn't realise Tom still had the rights because you get sent straight to that 123 holding site.

I hadn't bookmarked this site as I am away from home just now and using my work laptop!

When you say Google doesn't return anything, what do you mean? If I Google woodhaven2 I get the page as the top site...

To be fair I had previously only googled woodhaven as I that is what I was used to using.

Hmm. using woodhaven2 I get a twitter account, a youtube video and then american real estate sites! Not sure what is going on there. But you are right the rankings will soon rise.

Cheers,

H
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby chataigner » 26 Jul 2014, 13:24

You can speed things up a bit by using the tools at "google webmaster" and creating a site map and appropriate listings. There are also diagnostics to help tune the site for optimum search engine performance.

Take a look here : https://support.google.com/webmasters/a ... 6184?hl=en
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Graham Haydon » 26 Jul 2014, 23:47

On seo, it's important but just do your thang. Good contnet is what google wants, try and play it in the short term and get owned in the long term. SEO if about good content, keyword spam or other crap will have you marked down.
Hello, would you like to be bored? Yes I hear you say, then visit the blog http://gshaydon.co.uk/blog
Graham Haydon
Seedling

Name:

Return to General Woodworking