It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:33

Dust, sinus, infection = serious = drugs = Respirator + Fan

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Dust, sinus, infection = serious = drugs = Respirator + Fan

Postby Phil » 16 Dec 2015, 17:41

Generally over the years I have not had any issues around dust in the workshop except for one type of wood.
It is a Rhus lancea (Karee)

I spent a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon sanding stuff on the lathe, windows and doors all open.
By Monday afternoon I had what looked like a small dam bursting behind the eyes and down the nose. (Not the bladder, it was emptying fine!!)

I sorted it out in a couple of days with lots of medication. Still did not click that it was the dust.

Couple of months later, Sunday afternoon again, some more sanding. Didn’t even get time to crack the first beer and water works had started.

Click – picture big light bulb going on. :shock:

The second time was more serious and ended up with lots of antibiotics (sir are you allergic to penicillin?)

Move on a few years ………………………………….

The wife bought a small second hand coffee table, after confirming with the handy man that he would be able to restore it.

No problem, says he, just put it on the workbench.

The wood used looks like either a Mahogany or Imbuia. The shop lady said it was Stinkwood – my ass its stinkwood, it would have weighed in at twice the weight.

First on the list some pics. A WIP is never complete without the pics.

Then mark all the pieces with a small number stamp underneath (very important step when re-assembling)

Some of the joints just fell apart. The glue used could be old hide glue. I cannot date the table but would think it must be at least 70 years plus.

Nice Sunday afternoon after lunch, 36c outside, all doors and windows open. (it is flipping hot here)

Clamp the Makita sander in the wood vice, special fitting, fit some 180grit, and hit start.

Do the top first to see where there are scratches that need attention.
Then the legs. Going like a Boeing.!

Beer time, pack up and get ready and pack to work away the next week.

Sunday night about 23:30, within a few seconds, I wake up to a runny nose and one runny left eye. :shock:
O, big sheeeet. Drink lots of Allergex.

The week dragged by ( the factory is far away from the nearest town)

I now know what it feels like having emphysema or asthma and not getting enough air in.

Back home at last Friday night, go to Intercare.

This is serious and ended up with lots of antibiotics and more (sir are you allergic to penicillin?) again.

The oldish Doc lectured me and said next time it will just be worse at your age.
(he is at least 10 years older than me) :)

Ok, so Saturday off to Chamberlains and buy a respirator, get home go to workbench to assemble and try out.

The next part is scary (for me) after 5 minutes the left eye started pushing out yellow stuff.
Obviously far too much of the sanding stuff drifting around.

I think that is the fastest I have ever got out of the workshop (grabbed some beers on the way)
I was alone at home, wife visiting the OLD MIL.

Lesson learnt – use the respirator, open doors & windows and ensure you wash your hands VERY carefully before going anywhere near the face.

Thank you for listening.

Cheers
Phil
Last edited by Phil on 29 Dec 2015, 08:22, edited 1 time in total.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: Dust, sinus, infection = serious = drugs = RESPIRATOR

Postby RogerS » 16 Dec 2015, 17:54

Blimey, Phil.. that sounds gruesome.

Talking of which, there is one wood (whose name escapes me at the moment) that has listed in its 'allergic reactions' "swelling of the testes". Just be grateful :D
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 16 Dec 2015, 17:57

Hope you recover quickly Phil. I must admit to being a bet blasé where dust is concerned. 3m Face mask and extractor close to the lathe seems to suffice... so far.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 16 Dec 2015, 19:54

Bloody hell, Phil!

Just pass that furniture on to someone else, memorise the wood carefully so that if you ever suspect a piece again you can avoid it, and avoid the damn stuff like the plague in future. I nearly said use it on the braai.......but it sounds a decent piece of old furniture, and you never know whether the smoke might affect you anyway.

I hope you are 100% soon, and that you never suffer again.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby billybuntus » 16 Dec 2015, 21:36

I had a wake up call recently. I never wear gloves and handle lots of dusty things (currently 95% of my way through a full house renovation). My hands had been itching (only the back and back of fingers) for two whole weeks.

It doesn't sound much but when you wake up and your first thought is that you want to use wire wool on your skin it doesn't help you get much sleep.

I've since stopped handling lots of dusty crap with my bare hands and used some moisturiser now and again and I'm back too normal. I didn't think my hands were rough until my sister in law said they are like sand paper. I'm just a spring chicken at 32 and have a while to go yet.

I'm also considering starting to use goggles and a mask when sanding (plaster, wood etc).

You only get one pair of lungs and two eyes (generally).
billybuntus
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Rod » 16 Dec 2015, 21:52

Crikey Phil what an awful time - get well soon.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 16 Dec 2015, 22:21

Wow, sounds awful Phil!!! :shock: :shock:

Glad you're better and as Mike says, memorise it and stay away!!!

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby chataigner » 17 Dec 2015, 08:39

Wow, that sounds dreadful Phil. I suspect more of us are affected than we like to admit - for myself I have never had bad attacks like that, but I do have runny nose, weepy eyes and itchy skin from time to time after woodwork, especially sanding, though fortunately never really severe symptoms. :( :(
I shall take this as a wake up call and not wait 'till it gets worse before improving precautions.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Newbie_Neil » 17 Dec 2015, 15:05

Sorry to hear about your problems Phil. Hopefully, you'll steer clear of that particular timber in future.
Newbie_Neil
New Shoots

Name: Neil

Postby Phil » 19 Dec 2015, 05:53

Thank guys.
I suspect maybe not so much the wood but the 'varnish' it was finished with.

The effects seem to be wearing off, slept right throgh last night (sounds like a baby :lol: )

Cheers
Phil

WooooHooo only 5 more sleeps till pressies ...........
:obscene-drinkingcheers:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Gill » 21 Dec 2015, 02:47

It sounds horrible, Phil. I'm glad you're taking care of yourself.

I was diagnosed with asthma a few weeks ago. Not that I've been terribly active on the woodwork front recently but it's a non-starter now until the medics get my lungs under control.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Phil » 21 Dec 2015, 05:49

Gill, I must be masochistic as I went back yesterday afternoon to try and at least finish the sanding.

Wore the respirator and had the jet-engine-fan hooked to the window running full blast and the garage door open.
Sinus a bit blocked this morning, otherwise ok.

Hope you sort out the athsma.

Cheers
Phil

Phil
Old Oak

Re: Dust, sinus, infection = serious = drugs = Respirator +

Postby Phil » 29 Dec 2015, 08:21

Ok, having survived the dust attack, I bought one of these – a respirator
(still coughing up funny looking stuff)

Then I also hooked up the jet engine fan. It hangs on one of the burglar bars and blows out.

How good is the fan? Look at all the stuff caught on the blades! It was cleaned before we moved and this is the first time used at the new house.

Thanks for reading

Cheers
Phil

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Alex161 » 01 Jan 2016, 15:33

Hi Phil, I know the problems of dust and shortness of breath and have been in hospital a few time due to my lax approach to filtering. Having spent a lot more on dust filters in the garage, I now wear my AirRace mask whenever I am doing any woodwork.

The problem is usually the very fine stuff that you cannot see ....... until it's too late. I have had asthma for years and even though I have Ventolin and Seretide sprays, that nasty dust can catch you out.

What make is your resperator and to what level does it filter?

Alex
Last edited by Alex161 on 12 Jan 2016, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
Alex161
Seedling

Name: Malcolm

Postby Phil » 01 Jan 2016, 15:56

Alex161 wrote:The problem is usually the very fine stuff that you cannot see ....... until it's too late. I have had asthma for years and even though I have Ventolin and Seretide sprays, that nasty dust can catch you out.
Alex

Alex, agree it's that fine stuff, not been too much of a problem so far over the years.
I have sympathy and empathy with the asthma although not one of my problems.

Alex161 wrote:What make is your resperator and to what level does it filter?
Alex

Hmmm threw the packaing away. It is most likely a Chinese import via India and cost USD 0.25 to make.

Cheers
Phil

Phil
Old Oak

Postby beech1948 » 20 Aug 2016, 14:16

phil,

Sorry to hear of your problems. I suffer from breathing difficulties as well.

Here in the UK, may be different in SA, just about the best dust mask available is the 3M 7500. It gives a good fit to the face and comes with a choice of P1,P2,P3 filters. The P3 standard goes all the way down to 0.3 microns I think so little chance of dust getting past the dust mask.

They are a bit pricey here but well worth the level of protection they give. I wear mine with goggles. Recommend this setup instead of just the mask you have in the picture.

Good luck with the breathlessness.

Al
beech1948
Seedling

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Aug 2016, 17:38

Just doing a piece at the moment which includes mention of PPE. This is what I use now:

http://knowledge.axminster.co.uk/evolut ... espirator/

and there's some more useful info here:

http://knowledge.axminster.co.uk/buying ... ing-guide/

Hope of some use - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 04 Sep 2016, 08:15

beech1948 wrote:phil,

Sorry to hear of your problems. I suffer from breathing difficulties as well.

Here in the UK, may be different in SA, just about the best dust mask available is the 3M 7500. It gives a good fit to the face and comes with a choice of P1,P2,P3 filters. The P3 standard goes all the way down to 0.3 microns I think so little chance of dust getting past the dust mask.

They are a bit pricey here but well worth the level of protection they give. I wear mine with goggles. Recommend this setup instead of just the mask you have in the picture.

Good luck with the breathlessness.

Al

Al,

Seems better now using the respirator. Sprayed a whole lot of cupboard doors for eldest son recently with a polyurethane. No sinus issueas at all

Cheers
Phil

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 04 Sep 2016, 08:18

Woodbloke wrote:Just doing a piece at the moment which includes mention of PPE. This is what I use now:

http://knowledge.axminster.co.uk/evolut ... espirator/

and there's some more useful info here:

http://knowledge.axminster.co.uk/buying ... ing-guide/

Hope of some use - Rob

Rob, thanks for the links, looks interresting.

Not seen anything like that this far South.

Cheers
Phil

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Doug » 04 Sep 2016, 08:43

A good place to start for breathing equipment is http://www.dustmasksdirect.co.uk/powere ... -106-c.asp certainly one of the cheaper places I've found & quite informative
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Return to General Woodworking