It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:39

Foil Follies

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Foil Follies

Postby kirkpoore1 » 26 Dec 2015, 16:17

Annndd we're back. Thanks to whoever reset the site after yesterday's outage.

My next big project will involve lots of Gothic tracery, carving, and for the first time, gold leaf. At least, I'm gonna try gold leaf. I've never used it before, don't know how touchy it will be or how hard it will be to get good results, nor how durable it will be after use, nor how easy it will be to repair when scratched. So the only thing to do is to try it out.

I started by gluing some blocks out of scrap walnut, ash, and some unknown tropical hardwood (deck cutoff scraps). I turned several ornaments, finishing up by cutting some shallow grooves with a bowl gouge:

I got a gold leaf kit from a local craft store. Besides the leaf (composition, not real gold), it had little bottles labeled base coat, sealer, adhesive, and antique glaze. Unfortunately, somebody got the box off the table while I was at work and had fun with it:

No serious harm, but in the cleanup, I must have thrown the instructions out.

Anyway, I used some sanding sealer (not from the kit) to seal the areas I intended to gild, and then sanded them down with some 220 grit paper. I then started with the adhesive size, which I think is just dilute white glue. You're supposed to paint it on, wait for it to get tacky, and then lay on the gold leaf. I found that it took a while to get tacky, and then the window of tackiness was pretty short before it actually dried. Results were OK, but there is definitely a learning curve to this:

The ground in the grooves could have been smoother, but the main issue was getting the leaf to the location and once there to lay down flat. I definitely need to watch some youtube videos to pick up some technique. I did put sealer on the gold after things had dried and excess gold pieces were trimmed or flaked away.

Next was to try on a flat piece. My friend Belanna like fleur-de-lis, and I had a scrap piece of walnut, so I traced the outline of a fleur and cut it out on the scroll saw:

I then bevel the cutout with my overarm router and with hand tools:

I also cut it out as a circle and beveled the outside. With a little bit of sanding, I was ready to try the gold leaf again. This time, I heated up some dilute hide glue so I would have a longer tack time. This worked better, but I had to reheat the hide glue pan on a regular basis. I've got to get a setup where I can have the pan sitting on the table being heated by a candle or something so I can keep working. Anyway, after gilding, sealing, and then putting finish on the remaining wood, this is what I had:

A little ragged and lumpy, but not too bad overall. I need to be a little more liberal in use of the leaf so that the upper edges get an even coating. But she liked it when I gave it to her yesterday.

The next practice piece will be this triskele, which I'd cut out as a test piece last winter when I was getting ready to build my bed:

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Re: Foil Follies

Postby Phil » 27 Dec 2015, 07:58

That is certainly something different

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Gill » 27 Dec 2015, 11:54

The gold highlights any imperfections in the finishing. I think you'll need lots of filler, abrasive paper and patience to achieve a good result. However, get it right and you'll have something truly outstanding :)
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby kirkpoore1 » 27 Dec 2015, 19:52

Gill wrote:The gold highlights any imperfections in the finishing. I think you'll need lots of filler, abrasive paper and patience to achieve a good result. However, get it right and you'll have something truly outstanding :)

You're absolutely right. The medieval examples I've seen in person were all done over very smooth gesso. The upcoming project has to be much more robust, so gesso won't cut it. Most of my issues were in application, though, not the substrate.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Jan 2016, 12:11

kirkpoore1 wrote:Annndd we're back. Thanks to whoever reset the site after yesterday's outage.

Ermmmmmm, outage? I am the only one who has Admin access to do anything with the site right now and I did nothing, either did I experience any outage… Did anyone else see any service impact?

I will start a new thread on this.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Return to General Woodworking