It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:29

D*mn, I hate when this happens...

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

D*mn, I hate when this happens...

Postby kirkpoore1 » 14 Jan 2016, 05:24

You know, this:

Which results in this:

The drill bit slipped in the drill chuck on the mortiser, allowing it to be driven up into the chisel and fracturing the chisel. This in turn blew out the side of the piece of cherry I was working on. And I've got 16 of these 5/16" mortises to cut. I'm pretty sure I had the drill chuck tight. Ah, well, back to plan B:

The Ray Iles pigsticker to the rescue.

Not too shabby. This was actually a practice on the other end of the blown out workpiece. I need to replace that piece, then chop the 16 mortises. Should take about 2-3 minutes each for the mortises, so maybe an hour total including making the replacement piece.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Re: D*mn, I hate when this happens...

Postby Phil » 14 Jan 2016, 05:53

That is extremly frustrating when it happens.

It would be serious if you did not have a spare piece of timber.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby DaveL » 14 Jan 2016, 09:35

Oh dear, not good. I have not had that happen but did have the drill snap in a 1/4" bit, must try and get a new one.
Pig stickers are great tools, but I only have one, don't tell Mike but if I see more at a good price I may well buy some more.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby chataigner » 14 Jan 2016, 10:23

How very annoying !

My version of this was a snapped off drill. I then bought a whole new set, because they were on special offer, and in the set was another slightly bigger size better suited to the job in hand, so I used that. Then remembered that I had already cut the tenons while waiting for the set to arrive. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby kirkpoore1 » 14 Jan 2016, 14:36

This one could have been user error, unlike the 1/4" chisel I lost last year. I should have double-checked that the chuck was tight, though it's hard to get in there and tighten it. Another thing would be to cut a small piece of drill rod to exactly the right length and shove it up inside the chuck when I'm running this bit to block the bit from being pushed up.

It's almost enough to make me want to buy a benchtop mortiser just to cut small mortises. Unfortunately, I have no place to put one

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby kirkpoore1 » 16 Jan 2016, 18:00

This project could be cursed:

This was a good Japanese (not Chinese) 3/8" hollow chisel bit. Snapped off in the first cut of the day. I had to use visegrips to twist it back out. Evidently, this cherry just doesn't like mortisers.

It did, however, respond to the pigsticker last night:

Replacing the blown piece from earlier this week, laying out new mortises, and chopping 16 mortises took about an hour an a half. Not the cleanest job I've done, but I'm out of practice.

I'm off to Woodcraft to buy more hollow chisel bits. I don't really look forward to hand chopping the ones I've got left.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 16 Jan 2016, 18:06

That's horrendous luck Kirk. Did you buy that bit from woodcraft? I wonder if they would replace it. They should.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby kirkpoore1 » 16 Jan 2016, 20:24

Andyp wrote:That's horrendous luck Kirk. Did you buy that bit from woodcraft? I wonder if they would replace it. They should.

No, I'd bought the 3/8" several years ago and had used it for a while. The 5/16" was fairly new, and it's failure was probably user error. I just bought one of each, and am going to try to get the 3/8" to work without breaking. Price for the pair was $31 plus a couple gallons of gas.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby kirkpoore1 » 16 Jan 2016, 21:53

Damn. Back to plan B again:

Yes, it happened again. This time I got 9 mortises out of the brand new chisel. Yes, the hollow chisel split down in the mortise, making it impossible for the mortiser to withdraw it. The chisel pulled right out of the collet when the head cycled back up.

Yes, that is a pigsticker I'm using to dig the chisel. I was able to save the piece of cherry.

Yes, I'm taking the chisel & bit set back for a refund. I'm taking the other one I bought back too.

Sheesh.

Six more 3/8" mortises to hand chop. Then I will use my $85 CGG Schmidt 1/2" hollow chisel set to do the required 8 half inch mortises. Wish me luck. That one would be expensive to replace.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 16 Jan 2016, 22:16

Bad luck Kirk - that's a tough piece of timber you've got there!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 16 Jan 2016, 22:19

Rod wrote:Bad luck Kirk - that's a tough piece of timber you've got there!

Rod

Clear cherry, no knots or weird grain. Damn if I know what it is. First might have been my fault, third might have been a cheap Chinese chisel set. But the second?

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby DaveL » 16 Jan 2016, 22:52

Are you sure you have cherry? It's looking more like some of that Aussie timber they used as railway sleepers!
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 17 Jan 2016, 10:07

Is it al all possible that something in the morticer has come out of alignment and that it is not coming down straight?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby kirkpoore1 » 17 Jan 2016, 18:54

Andyp wrote:Is it al all possible that something in the morticer has come out of alignment and that it is not coming down straight?

No, actually. I have checked this, and in fact had to shim the table in the past because it wasn't perpendicular to the head travel. But the bit is parallel to the head travel, so that at least is not a factor.

I was able to use my good half inch bit successfully this morning. That completed the mortises on this project, so I can order more chisel sets without rushing around. I will write all this up, starting soon.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Return to General Woodworking