It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:12

Fitting a kitchen

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Fitting a kitchen

Postby chataigner » 29 Feb 2016, 09:10

I have spent the last week mainly fitting the kitchen in the "investment" flat Isabelle has bought. Nothing too complicated, just 5 DIY Shed cabinets in an L shape with the usual cut-outs for sink and hob.

A fair bit of the time went on plumbing for sink and washing M/C which Isa wanted in a different position from the old layout plus fitting and wiring three new powerpoints along the back of the work surface. The big hassle was fitting the upstand at the back of the worktop under the sloping ceiling. Nothing was straight or square, including the corner of the room which was so far out that the worktop needed to be 3cm longer at the back than at the front. What was most unexpected was the floor - nearly 4cm difference in height right to left to keep the work surface level... 18thC builders - rubbish ! :o

Not surprising really, but I was shocked by the price of accessories, and especially the price differences between stores. The little stainless trim for joining the worktops was 24€ in one shed and 8€ in another - same brand. It pays to spend a bit of time shopping around, the accessories and bits and pieces of plumbing and wiring plus daft little things like a tube or two of silicon sealer added up to nearly 30% of the project cost. None of it budgeted. :oops:

All done now, except to fit the doors and drawers which are on back order. :D :D

I'm going over there later today, so I'll take a couple of photos and post them later.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Re: Fitting a kitchen

Postby Andyp » 29 Feb 2016, 09:47

Which sheds gave you the best deals David?

Castorama I always find expensive owned by the same group as B&Q but price difference to the UK is huge.

Leroy Merlin usually cheaper than Casto

BricoDeport usually cheaper LM

We will soon have Bricoman at half the travelling distance of the other 3. Will be interesting to see their prices as it is the first one locally.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby chataigner » 29 Feb 2016, 10:01

Andyp wrote:Which sheds gave you the best deals David?

Castorama I always find expensive owned by the same group as B&Q but price difference to the UK is huge.

Leroy Merlin usually cheaper than Casto

BricoDeport usually cheaper LM

We will soon have Bricoman at half the travelling distance of the other 3. Will be interesting to see their prices as it is the first one locally.

Bricoman by a good margin. They are more geared to pros, so dont have a lot of the household stuff that you can get in LM or Casto, but for the kitchen units and plumbing stuff etc they were excellent. Also, no waiting for stuff to appear at a collection point, even kitchen units were right there on the shelves with staff ready to help load.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby chataigner » 29 Feb 2016, 17:55

Here's a couple of pics.

The step up in the worktop on the left is to accomodate a top loader washing machine we happened to have - the raised worktop lifts off to use the machine. The little m/c is really excellent, just 40cm wide, and because the drum is supported both sides, there is almost no vibration when it runs or spins (1200rpm). Makes me wonder why we bother with front loaders.

Plinths still to be painted...

I left the top half of the back out of the LH cabinet to give easy access to the isolator valves and to the washing m/c connections, but have fitted an upstand on the shelf to prevent things falling down the back!

Notice two sides of the ceiling slope.
Cheers !
chataigner
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 29 Feb 2016, 19:22

Looks good David , did you manage to avoid banging your head on those ceilings?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Return to General Woodworking