It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:18

Some guys have all the luck!

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Some guys have all the luck!

Postby stephen.wood125 » 06 May 2016, 14:57

Hi all,

Interesting couple of weeks, Flexi hose to my bathroom tap decided to fail in the middle of the night. I was awoken by a strange hissing noise (mains pressure water gushing out and down through my house.

Suffice to say the bathroom floor, dining room ceiling, dining room floor, part of the kitchen floor and garage ceiling are mostly ruined.

To cap it all, a significant amount of water has gushed into my table saw and a lot through my planer thicknesser.

I spoke briefly to Axi customer service about the planer and they said it's possibly a write off due to untold amounts of water through onto the table and through the mechanism, said they would have to recover it and dismantle to be certain.

The table saw is a similar story albeit much simpler to dismantle, though the motor got water in the table protected it a lot more than the PT.

This coupled with various other events (break up of relationship and need to buy ex out of house) means the old coffers have taken a severe battering. I'm still waiting to hear if the insurance company will even consider covering them, also if I'm honest I'm not thrilled about sharp spinney things which have been liberally doused from a safety point of view... Does anyone have any suggestions, would I be better scrapping them and starting again?

Cheers guys, sorry for the whine!!

In other news I might have a BS350S with wheel stand and a Kapex 120 for sale to try and fund some of the future requirements.

:oops:
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Name: Stephen

Re: Some guys have all the luck!

Postby Wizard9999 » 06 May 2016, 15:50

Really sorry to hear all that Stephen, never heard of that one before but I guess anything can fail and what not sure what anyone could do to prepare for that. Hopefully it will not be as bad as the initial prognosis suggests.

Terry
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby stephen.wood125 » 06 May 2016, 16:10

Thanks a lot, Terry.

Yes I'd never heard of it before either.. two years ago I replaced the bath and fitted a shower with separate Hand Grohe units... I left the basin mixer as it was only 3 years old. It's a Cooke and Lewis from B&Q and the rubber inside the fake "aeroquip" style hoses has totally perished.

Not very impressive! Still, amazing how fast you can wake up when you get a shock :lol:
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Postby Andyp » 06 May 2016, 16:33

Let sounds like tough luck.
First wait for the insurance if they pay out fine.
If they do not then once dry I close inspection should reveal if there is any lasting damage. Table tops will only have superficial rust surely as there would not have been time for piting etc. Take some pictures of the electricals and the machinery experts around here will let you know what can be repaied or replaced.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 06 May 2016, 20:48

What bad luck - let's hope the insurance pays up?

I wouldn't think the water would make your stuff unsafe - just not work?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 06 May 2016, 21:34

I agree. I wouldn't fret too much ...get it dry ASAP and then take a view.

And don't forget...reject the insurance companies initial offers.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby DaveL » 06 May 2016, 23:42

This is the one case where WD40 is the correct spray to use.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby wallace » 08 May 2016, 16:30

I wouldn't worry too much about the machines. I have rescued machines that have been left outside for countless years and still brought them back to life.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 09 May 2016, 15:12

wallace wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about the machines. I have rescued machines that have been left outside for countless years and still brought them back to life.

Yes, dry it out. If the bearings haven't got wet, you should be OK once all the water is gone. Make sure you open up the machine as much as you can (including junction boxes and any inspection covers) and blow dry it out.

Just to give you some hope: I got a fairly recent (1990's) motor for my tenoner. The bearings felt a little gritty when I turned the shaft by hand, so I opened it up. There was a clear water line where it had been sitting in about 2" of water for a while--rust on the inside of the case and some silt. I cleaned out the dirt, replaced the bearings. put it together, and fired it up. Result? it ran perfectly. It's hard to hurt an electric motor.

Sorry to hear about the rest of the damage; that sounds like a real nightmare.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby stephen.wood125 » 11 May 2016, 15:25

Thanks a lot for the useful replies chaps!

I'm still waiting to hear as the company they appointed to check out the machinery "don't know what they are"

I've looked at the planer and it's had a lot of water inside including all around the thicknesser table and column, I'm not fancying trying to start cleaning that out/replacing bearings etc so I might push and say it's a safety issue with spinny blades. I really don't have the time to start stripping and cleaning it all out :(

At this stage if they offer me something towards replacement I'll just take it.

As it's a Chinwanese box I'm not thinking that the bearings and gubbins inside will be highest quality anyhow I'm just sick of the whole affair now and can't be bothered dealing with it all. I'mworking 14 hours a day at the moment anyhow so I'm on the verge of walking away from the machines and just forgetting woodworking for a while until I can afford replacements that more or less work "off the bat" as it were. fettling is fun but refurbishing to get back to square one is too much.

Cheers guys,

Best,

Steve.
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 11 May 2016, 16:13

Steve, I like to offer some practical help but you really are a bit too far away for that.
Grease in the bearings will have repelled most of the water. Dousing in wd40 in the nooks and crannies of bare metal will do no harm and opening up electrical covers to allow natural drying.

Doing some electrical leakage tests as well and when the readings are OK, running the machines for a short while should throw any water out of moving parts.

HTH

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby stephen.wood125 » 11 May 2016, 16:26

Many thanks, Bob.