It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:04

Parquet progress (finished)

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Re: Parquet progress (was expansion gaps)

Postby Rod » 21 Jun 2016, 20:15

You could add Warfarin to the Squirrel food - she'll never find out?

I don't shoot them (as my family have a soft spot for them) but most of my feeders are squirrel proof.
I do shoot rats though!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 21 Jun 2016, 20:44

I'm currently wondering about Rabbit stew ! .. as we are being overun :shock:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 21 Jun 2016, 21:04

Mmm! Yummy I love bunny stew!
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 21 Jun 2016, 21:24

Oh, c'mon chaps...we're hijacking!
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 21 Jun 2016, 21:32

Steve - Forgive the ignorance; but how does one attach these to the floor? I was just considering how that might be achieved, and I was thinking you could use a sticky substance that allows flex and holds the individual pieces down, almost like bitumen! :shock:
...time is precious; waste it wisely...
Dan0741
Sapling

Name: Dan

Postby StevieB » 21 Jun 2016, 22:02

Dan - one uses a very expensive adhesive that sticks to bitumen - Lecol 5500 in this case seems to be the recommended product, so I am going with this. Cannot find a local supplier so online order in due course!

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby wallace » 23 Jun 2016, 09:57

I did my hallway last year with some pitch pine stuff obtained from my old school that got demolished. instead of scraping the bitumen off I sawed it off. Messy but easier, I then dimensioned each piece. Because every piece was the same thickness and square it was really easy to lay. I only had to use a ROS for the final sanding. I used the Leecol adhesive but ran out and used some stuff from b&q which I found to be just as good as the posh swag.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Tusses » 23 Jun 2016, 19:11

ok .. I will state the obvious !

why don't you use bitumen to stick them down again ?

would have save all the work so far !
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby StevieB » 23 Jun 2016, 23:02

Wallace - the blocks are nicely T&G but this is close to the bottom surface, leaving plenty of depth to the top of the block. If I sliced off the base I would almost certainly lose the T&G mating of the blocks.

Tusses - bitumen is nasty stuff, carcinogenic and smelly.I will stick with glue thanks!

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 23 Jun 2016, 23:10

And you have to use it hot!!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby StevieB » 10 Jul 2016, 18:47

Been busy over the last couple of weeks so only limited progress on this project. Finally managed to clean up sufficient blocks for the whole room (I hope) and in the end decided that I had to run the blocks through the thicknesser rather than rely on a floor sander - the top surface was just too manky to rely on a sanding belt to clean them up. I have currently run through approx 900 blocks. Lost a few due to tearout and a few more due to edge 'chipping' but these are likely to be usable around the edge where part blocks are needed, so have put these to one side for now. I then got impatient and decided to begin laying blocks!

First of all I had to lay a fire hearth area. This revealed that not only was the fireplace not square to the wall, it was not square to the room either. Currently I have cut the hearth tiles but they are not stuck down yet until I know whether I have to tweak their position or not. I could have squared up the hearth to the room, but this looked odd when I laid it out, so had to have the tiles square to the fireplace. This gave me a major problem when starting to lay out the parquet - did I lay it to square to the room (which is almost certainly not square anyway) or square to the fireplace. In the end I laid out both options dry to see how much a discrepancy there was. The chalk line (blue) below is square to the room, the pencil line is square to the fireplace:

By the other side of the room furthest from the fireplace the discrepancy was approx 8 inches, big enough to be noticeable. The problem with laying out to the room was that the herringbone wouldn't be square to the fireplace. However if I ran it square to the fireplace it would then be out down both sides of the room. I laid it out dry to the fireplace and left it overnight to think about, but this morning decided to go to the room and moved it over to the chalk line. This means cutting the end of the pattern close to the fireplace, but hopefully this will be less noticeable than it being out at the edge of the room - especially as the room edge will be visible from the doorway. As a consequence, the fireplace edge now looks like this:

I really hope this was the right decision! Anyway, once that decision was made it was time to stick down the blocks. The Lecol 5500 comes in a metal drum weighting 25kg (approx 55lb) and is a pig to move around, but not as much of a pain as it is to work with - it's like treacle in consistency, and once it has dried for 30 minutes takes on the consistency of chewing gum. It is almost impossible to clean off excess from the floor or tools - it doesn't scrape terribly well at all. I did order a proper spreader with it however, which is a godsend - I was going to use a standard notched trowel I use for tiling but so glad I didn't

After that it is just a case of spreading and sticking! I found it best to dry fit 15 or so blocks to make sure they went together well (no bitumen left in the grooves to inhibit the tongues engaging properly etc) and then spread adhesive and line up the blocks. It is recommended to do a mid line first then work outwards. YouTube video's show people laying an entire floor in one hit, but I found this impossible - these blocks are not simply able to be placed into position but need a tap or push - doing so then affects the row and knocks previously placed blocks out of line. I tried to stop this with a batten, but in the end I had to lay approx 30 blocks then wait for the adhesive to go off - thus it has taken almost a day to lay a line and a half, but now the mid line is fully fixed it should be faster.

Slow progress, but getting there. Still not sure if these are teak or iroko, but my money is still on iroko.....

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Parquet progress (first blocks laid....)

Postby RogerS » 10 Jul 2016, 19:07

Thats looking really great, Steve. I think you made the right decision re the layout.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Dan0741 » 10 Jul 2016, 19:49

Excellent work Steve - Will look beautiful. :D
Dan0741
Sapling

Postby Rod » 10 Jul 2016, 19:56

Sure it will be worth it in the end.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Jul 2016, 20:23

Nice!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Jul 2016, 11:40

Looking good thus far, keep the pics coming…

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Halo Jones » 12 Jul 2016, 15:57

Looking great so far!

I think I used an adhesive from soudal which came in the usual silicone sealer type cartridge which helped keep things clean. I would have gotten in a right guddle if I used a spread type adhesive!

H.
Halo Jones
New Shoots

Name:

Postby wallace » 12 Jul 2016, 16:33

What finish are you using once completed? I used rustins 2 part stuff because it was the hallway which gets a lot of traffic and gets mopped regularly.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby StevieB » 13 Jul 2016, 09:04

Good question Wallace, good question! I will go for Lecol7500 and dust as a gap filler, but then am still undecided as to whether an oil or a varnish will be a better finish. I am tending towards oil at the moment, with Osmo PolyX getting good reviews. My only concern is how often it will need reapplying to look good. It is a dining room so chairs scraping over the floor etc are a possible issue, hence my reluctance to go for a varnish that will sit on the wood rather than an oil that will soak into it.

Finishing is not my strong suit however, so any advice appreciated!

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 13 Jul 2016, 09:30

I've had good results with this, Steve. Aquacoat SP http://www.frenchpolishes.com/products/aquacoat_sp.htm from Smith and Rodgers - a rather good company in my experience and very helpful.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby StevieB » 13 Jul 2016, 10:52

Thanks Roger - did you go for matt, satin or gloss? I fancy gloss personally but have yet to ask SWMBO what we will actually have ;)

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 13 Jul 2016, 11:14

StevieB wrote:Thanks Roger - did you go for matt, satin or gloss? I fancy gloss personally but have yet to ask SWMBO what we will actually have ;)

Steve

We went for satin (CD's decision)

CD - Chief Designer aka LOML
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby StevieB » 24 Jul 2016, 20:43

Sorry for the lack of updates, but it is slow going! Now up to 50% laid. done the border but still need to do the edge trim - I think I will do this after filling and sanding the main floor so it still looks a little unfinished at the moment. Very please with it however so far. Been a right faff being reclaimed blocks however - every so often I have found I have had to trim approx 1mm off the long edge of a block to get it to fit. This then means trimming the tongue off the previous block and there is a knock on effect for the next row and so on! I don't think this is where blocks have swelled due to moisture but rather is simply a slight size discrepancy between blocks and/or me not laying them exactly square...

Just another 600 odd blocks to go.....

Steve
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Parquet progress (Now 50% laid....)

Postby Dan0741 » 24 Jul 2016, 21:00

Steve, I think they look fantastic, and against the red and white on the walls the iroko/mahogany (whatever it is) looks perfect. Once filled and polished that room will be lovely. Excellent work. :eusa-clap:
Dan0741
Sapling

Re: Parquet progress (Now 50% laid....)

Postby Malc2098 » 24 Jul 2016, 21:12

Painstaking work, but it's so worthwhile. really nice job!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

PreviousNext

Return to General Woodworking