It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:52

Glue Clue

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Glue Clue

Postby Reclaimer » 02 Jun 2016, 21:16

Good evening folks!

Which glue would you all recommend for exterior use which has excellent water resistance and is also a half-decent gap filler?

I've disassembled a raised, fielded panel door (I won't say why at this stage as I'll be doing a WIP thread if by some miracle it doesn't end up as firewood) and sanded off a good layer of treacly woodstain, but in doing so I've obviously thinned a few critical pieces by a smidge, in particular where the panels will be re-fitted into their respective rails. Upon disassembly it appears that these joins never had any glue in them to begin with and were a fairly loose fit. Structurally this didn't matter when it was a door, but it will be re-assembled into something quite different.

I am re-using the rails, but cut down much narrower and in their new application both panel and rail will be bearing a certain amount of weight, so the bond will need to be a rock-solid one. The gappiness I mentioned is not excessive, so I don't need something which froths up like shaving foam, just something which will give a firm bond in a gap of perhaps three quarters of a mm at most.

Thanks chaps
Tim
Reclaimer
Seedling

Name:

Re: Glue Clue

Postby memzey » 02 Jun 2016, 21:18

The only type of glue that has any real gap filling properties which meets your criteria is epoxy.
memzey
Seedling

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 03 Jun 2016, 03:59

memzey wrote:The only type of glue that has any real gap filling properties which meets your criteria is epoxy.

Just what I was going to say.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Mike G » 03 Jun 2016, 07:59

Well, PU expands to fill gaps, and boatbuilders use it, so they must be content with its waterproof-ness.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 03 Jun 2016, 08:23

Have a read of this, including Gorilla's comments at the bottom of the page.

https://woodgears.ca/joint_strength/gorilla_glue.html

The only woodwork I have done that is subjected to all weathers was a front gate. I used Wests 2 part epoxy. I bit fiddly to measure the proportions and you may have to buy quite a lot for what could be a small project.
My joints were tight, no gaps to be filled, I just wanted a truly waterproof glue. Some oily woods need to be degreased before use.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Tusses » 03 Jun 2016, 09:43

Mike G wrote:Well, PU expands to fill gaps, and boatbuilders use it, so they must be content with its waterproof-ness.

I've not heard of boat builders using it .. usually epoxy and fillers if needed ?

I definitely wouldn't use PU on a boat ! most reports I've seen suggest it is not a long term solution.
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 03 Jun 2016, 11:51

PU might expand to fill the gap but it gives little in the way of support or strength to the join. Epoxy is the best (plus filler if the joint is really bad).
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Reclaimer » 03 Jun 2016, 21:03

Thanks chaps. Looking at the cost of epoxy, I'd be wise to try and find a better method of construction that transfers the load away from these joints. *Cue much head-scratching*
Reclaimer
Seedling

Name:

Postby Reclaimer » 03 Jun 2016, 21:07

Also: hello mike/kirk! Long time no speak. Tis good to be back.
Reclaimer
Seedling

Name:

Return to General Woodworking