It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:22

Accoya or unsorted ?

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Accoya or unsorted ?

Postby RogerS » 23 Jun 2016, 16:16

I'm replacing our back door and want to make it from three wide planks (or what passes for three wide planks ie glue a couple of smaller widths together). Each plank will be delineated with a chamfer on the long edge (if you follow me). Door width is 760m wide so each plank will be about 250 mm wide. I wasn't proposing to put any ledge and brace on the inside but wondered if that was asking for trouble downline?

Door is North facing and will be painted on the outside and stained on the inside.

Was wondering about stability and warping...I can understand how a ledge and brace will stop a door from sagging but stopping twisting/warping? cant see how ledge and brace would help. So that kind of shows my thinking about not bothering with ledge and brace.

Thickness will be 44mm.

I was wondering about making it out of Accoya but then got a price for a 4.2m length of 50 x 200 sawn...£102 (not sure if that is plus VAT or not).

Unsorted is £20 !!

Other question that springs to mind is..would I get 44mm planed out of 50mm Accoya ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Accoya or unsorted ?

Postby chataigner » 23 Jun 2016, 17:37

For an exterior door, I'd be worried about warping : one side cold and damp, one side warm and dry. Possible problem with seasonal gaps too, summer shrinkage of classic timber would be significant over 760mm, though I dont know how dimensionally stable Accoya is. I'd go for frame and panel with a hefty frame to resist warping.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby RogerS » 23 Jun 2016, 18:29

That's why Accoya is so eye-wateringly expensive. It is supposed to be dimensionally stable and unaffected by the weather/water etc. So no warping.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby stu » 23 Jun 2016, 22:52

Hey Rog

Accoya is incredibly stable, I think in the last 3 years I've had to go back to one door as a result of timber movement, we used to use sapele and would frequently have to revisit jobs.

Not certain about your method of construction - are you just gluing boards together to make the door? Not sure that I'd go down that route even with accoya. The ledges on the back of the door help it resist cupping as well as allowing you to fix the planks together without gluing the and allowing some movement.

As for getting 44mm from 50mm stock, you'll get it no problem as accoya comes in over size and is pretty much straight and flat when it arrives. The problem that you will have however is that sawn faces are usually discoloured (black/dark grey) so you probably wont get two clean faces as you have to remove about 5/6mm to get to clean wood. The recommendation is that you should get one size up to allow sufficient material to be removed - so you should be looking at getting in 63mm stock to be certain.
stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 24 Jun 2016, 05:47

That's great advice, thanks, Stu. Especially the recommendation to go up a size.

:eusa-clap:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby chataigner » 24 Jun 2016, 07:02

Interesting that you have found Accoya to be very stable, but still think there should be provision for movement - not 100% stable evidently. Have to say I've been a bit sceptical, but your experiences are quite persuasive. Anyone else got practical experience of the stuff ?
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Andyp » 24 Jun 2016, 09:34

The Accoya site proclaims that Radiata Pine is the main source of their timber which implies it is not the only source. In fact they also state that Alder is put through the same process. Is there a difference in the way these timbers are worked? Do you get a choice when buying to specify Pine or Alder?

I wonder what the improvements to durability would be if some conventional hard woods were subject to the same treatment?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby stu » 24 Jun 2016, 18:38

@chat old habits die hard I guess! Accoya will still move but just a fraction of anything else I've used.

@andyp I've only used radiata pine accoya as that's what is readily available. The beauty of the radiates pine is the speed that it grows I think. It's pretty eco friendly.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby stu » 24 Jun 2016, 18:40

Here's one I did earlier! (Earlier today actually, and it needs a bit of finishing off next week)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Tusses » 24 Jun 2016, 19:07

Why don't they plant more Accoya trees ? surely that would bring the price down ???

;)
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 24 Jun 2016, 19:12

Tusses wrote:Why don't they plant more Accoya trees ? surely that would bring the price down ???

;)

All the available land has been taken up by spaghetti trees, I think
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 24 Jun 2016, 23:54

That looks nice Stu

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 25 Jun 2016, 08:35

We've used Accoya quite a bit, including on a huge glazed door. The stability and ease of working is brilliant, it's perfect for frame in frame, as in sash window work, you need to use PU, epoxy or prf glues. I personally wouldn't use it for a door with a fair amount of traffic as its quite a soft material and dents quite easily. (Hard wood cills?) But perhaps with the appropriate finish this isn't such an issue.

Cheers Jim

Sent from my HTC 0P6B900 using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 25 Jun 2016, 09:28

Jimmy Mack wrote:W...........I personally wouldn't use it for a door with a fair amount of traffic as its quite a soft material and dents quite easily. (Hard wood cills?) But perhaps with the appropriate finish this isn't such an issue.

Which again makes me ponder what the affects of the Accoya treatment would have on more durable wood.
The ethos of Accoya appears to be as much about keeping the overall carbon footprint as low as possible by using fast grown local sourced timbers than about the the longevity of the treated timber. I am not knocking it just trying to understand a bit more.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Return to General Woodworking