It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:20

My workshop...

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

My workshop...

Postby Robert » 25 Jul 2016, 17:10

I've posted pictures of projects on here before but never of my workshop. There is a danger I might make something soon, albeit simple stuff, so i thought I'd have a tidy up.

To celebrate relative tidiness after months of semi shambles I took some pictures.

This is the view from the garden.

It's was a single garage with single brick skin walls before the extension was built. having lost a corner inside it is still my workshop but could never be a garage again.

View from the driveway

That composite door I bought for £1.04 on ebay when I outbid the person that had bid 99p. painted black it looks fine - it didn't when bought. The window cost a lot more made to measure to fill in the gap. PVC soffit board cladding stuff finishes it off presentably. Plywood and timber construction behind it.

Inside is battened and plywood lined with 1" polystyrene between for token insulation. Polythene keeps moisture from the single brick skin at bay.

Bandsaw on wheeled base with drawers, strong base cuboard with wood lathe pushed back to the wall half hidded by lift off table top, plate fan in the background used when spraying or making dust, Cupboards have some power tools in and homebrew storage :)

I don't like shelves as they collect dust. one day it will be a cupboard up there.
useful little metal cabinet on the bench because i couldn't find another home for it. So far it has not been in the way there. Old kitchen drawers unit under the bench.

The high cupboards run full length - a lot of junk in there! Cupboards below are shallow and are mostly full of fixings and related junk. Record twin motor extractor and my thein separator under the bench

The saw and router table extends the bench surface and so does the SCMS in its stored condition.

The top lifts off the SCMS then it simply pivots up to horizontal and is held by 2 bolts. Comes up or down in seconds and its so good to have it out of the way when not needed.

The narrow end. its the only through route to the garden so another reason to have things on wheels for when good access is needed. Computer in the high end cupboard with monitor on the wall underneath. there was no sensible place for the pedestal drill but so far it is OK there. i can rotate it if i need better access. Drawers next to the door as well as under the drill.

can't avoid having the overflow fridge in the workshop. Hand tools and battery tools etc in the filing cabinets. my vacuum pump next to the fridge with some junk piled on top.

hand tools are in lift out boxes to make full use of the large drawers. Compressor hiding behind the drawer

Planer thicknesser under the high bench and toy morticer on top. The morticer is just stored there. when used it gets bolted to the workbench.

And back round to the garden door again.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Re: My workshop...

Postby Malc2098 » 25 Jul 2016, 18:34

It's like the Tardis...and with home-brew! Brilliant!

I daren't show my garage!

Nice, Robert.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Pinch » 25 Jul 2016, 19:38

I remember the WIP of your extension - nice project.

Your shop looks very tidy and bright.

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby MattS » 25 Jul 2016, 20:11

Thanks for the tour, always enjoy seeing how people layout their workshops 8-)

You mentioned homebrew storage that's something I'll be combining as well in my workshop.... Hope that fridge is for beer ;)
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 25 Jul 2016, 22:12

MattS wrote:Thanks for the tour, always enjoy seeing how people layout their workshops 8-)

You mentioned homebrew storage that's something I'll be combining as well in my workshop.... Hope that fridge is for beer ;)

The fridge has beer most of the time. Xmas and other occasions I have to share it with food.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 26 Jul 2016, 06:55

Interesting, Robert. I like the SCMS arrangement. I have something similar in mind for mine........the damn things take up so much space that folding them out of the way is almost forced on to you.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 26 Jul 2016, 08:35

That has to be the prettiest (outside) workshop I've ever seen. Far too tidy on the inside for my liking :D
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby paulrees1 » 17 Aug 2016, 07:20

Hi Robert,

Excellent use of space which I'm going to copy :-)

Could you tell me / us how the scms is pivoted, also for it's box is it constructed using butt joint, pocket hole or some other way?

Thanks
Paul

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
paulrees1
Seedling

Name:

Postby Robert » 17 Aug 2016, 10:19

Some more pictures in this old thread -

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=272&p=3435

The pivot is just these furniture fixings from screwfix -

and construction is glued edge rebates with a couple of screws to hold it while the glue dries.

Oh and welcome to the forum :)
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Rod » 17 Aug 2016, 10:54

Very nice but far too tidy!
Nice use of space.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name: