It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:08

New Starter Resources/ tips

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Postby woodstalker » 07 Aug 2016, 20:22

So today i spent a good few hours mangling scraps of wood with my new toys getting a feel for it all and i have some questions of resources:

1. Anyone have any good resource for plans to make stuff; like simple furniture, book shelves and the like?

2. Anyone got any tips on wood? (nothing saucy!), just don't want to keep nipping to B&Q and buying planks of pine to play with but equally don't want to buy a random exotic hardwood to wreck and waste. So really a bit of a guide on what wood is good for what and where/how to buy without looking too much like a numpty.

Happy to buy books, dads, subscribe to Wood Fancier monthly just so i can get making something.

By the way i thoroughly enjoyed my day, albeit i think i need a proper dust mask rather than by disposable ones so any tips on one of those would be helpful too.

Cheers for looking guys.

James
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: New Starter Resources/ tips

Postby Rod » 07 Aug 2016, 23:29

How much experience or training have you got - do you need books on joint making for example?
Pine is not an easy wood to work - hardwoods like beech and sycamore are much easier to work especially joint cutting and planing.
Find a local timber yard and see if they sell offcuts or look out for old furniture that might be going to the tip - it could be made from hardwoods?

Furniture & Cabinet Maker is a British mag.

The 3M one has good reviews though I use one beginning with a V that I can never remember the name of

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 08 Aug 2016, 06:33

Rod wrote:How much experience or training have you got - do you need books on joint making for example?
Pine is not an easy wood to work - hardwoods like beech and sycamore are much easier to work especially joint cutting and planing.
Find a local timber yard and see if they sell offcuts or look out for old furniture that might be going to the tip - it could be made from hardwoods?

Furniture & Cabinet Maker is a British mag.

The 3M one has good reviews though I use one beginning with a V that I can never remember the name of

Rod

Hi Rod,

Not a massive amount of experience, so anything on which joint to select for an application or which wood is best for a project would be useful. I'm certainly not going to be making any fine furniture just yet.

I'm surprised at pine, I assumed because it is so soft it would be really easy to work, thanks for the tip on beech & sycamore. I will also keep an eye out for old hardwood furniture; incidentally that's what I have been using to mangle, som broken pieces that were in my wood burning pile once I'd got out all the metal work.

Which timber merchant do you use; it looks like you're not far from me and thee can't be many around?

I will have a look at the 3M range

Thanks very much

James
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 08 Aug 2016, 07:35

I do not own a vast collection of books but my first woodworking book was The Mitchell Beazley Illustrated Encyclopedia of Working in Wood by Ernest Scott. Covers all the basic tools, and jointing methods and materials. I also have a couple of years worth of various woodworking mags which I still refer too.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 08 Aug 2016, 10:36

Popular Woodworking has some free stuff:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/free- ... #furniture

Books - Earnest Joyce - The Techniques of Furniture Making is considered to be the woodworking "bible".

Collins Complete Woodworking Manual is a
good one to have.

I haven't bought any for a while but have bought a lot from Goulden Hardwoods based near St Marybourne

http://www.hampshirewoodsuppliers.co.uk/about_us.html

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 10 Aug 2016, 18:10

I see you're at Amesbury which is literally about 15 mins from me in Wilton! - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 10 Aug 2016, 21:52

Woodbloke wrote:I see you're at Amesbury which is literally about 15 mins from me in Wilton! - Rob

Hi Rob,

I used to live in Wylye so came into and through Wilton quite a lot, its a proper nice part of the world. I have been following your chest of drawers build, i think you may have beaten on the woodworking skill front! They look great, a lot of care and effort gone in so far, can't wait to see the finished article.

Incidentally where do you buy your wood from?

I have arranged to go up to Tyler Hardwoods just outside Burbage on Monday to have a look at what they have in terms of off cuts for me to have a practice on and also what other stuff they have. Lacking a PT at the moment means i can either buy ready planed wood or have a crack with my hand planer and belt sander at getting things smooth.

I took delivery this week of some PSE from Travis Perkins to make a better "temporary" work bench and for the panel saw frame but it is disappointingly twisty which is going to take some effort to sort out i think.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 10 Aug 2016, 21:52

Andyp wrote:I do not own a vast collection of books but my first woodworking book was The Mitchell Beazley Illustrated Encyclopedia of Working in Wood by Ernest Scott. Covers all the basic tools, and jointing methods and materials. I also have a couple of years worth of various woodworking mags which I still refer too.

Cheers Andy :)
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 10 Aug 2016, 21:54

Rod wrote:Popular Woodworking has some free stuff:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/free- ... #furniture

Books - Earnest Joyce - The Techniques of Furniture Making is considered to be the woodworking "bible".

Collins Complete Woodworking Manual is a
good one to have.

I haven't bought any for a while but have bought a lot from Goulden Hardwoods based near St Marybourne

http://www.hampshirewoodsuppliers.co.uk/about_us.html

Rod

Thanks Rob, my copy of Collins Complete Woodworking Manual arrived yesterday. I did have a look at Goulden Hardwoods because they are pretty close by but i am a bit stuck as i mentioned above due to lack of a PT to prep any sawn timber i buy.

I think i am going to have to plane it up the hardware if i buy it...
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 11 Aug 2016, 12:06

woodstalker wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:I see you're at Amesbury which is literally about 15 mins from me in Wilton! - Rob

Hi Rob,

I used to live in Wylye so came into and through Wilton quite a lot, its a proper nice part of the world. I have been following your chest of drawers build, i think you may have beaten on the woodworking skill front! They look great, a lot of care and effort gone in so far, can't wait to see the finished article.

Incidentally where do you buy your wood from?

I have arranged to go up to Tyler Hardwoods just outside Burbage on Monday to have a look at what they have in terms of off cuts for me to have a practice on and also what other stuff they have. Lacking a PT at the moment means i can either buy ready planed wood or have a crack with my hand planer and belt sander at getting things smooth. For hardwoods, I sometimes go down to Yandles but it can be very hit n'missy to get hold of decent boards as there's usually a lot of tat in amongst the good stuff.
You're welcome to pop over, just send me a PM and we can sort something out - Rob

I took delivery this week of some PSE from Travis Perkins to make a better "temporary" work bench and for the panel saw frame but it is disappointingly twisty which is going to take some effort to sort out i think.

If you want decent quality softwood, I've had some good stuff from Sydenhams on Churchfields. If you pick and choose, there's also (believe it or not) some quite good quality stuff at InExcess on the Netherhampton Rd and it's also very inexpensive.

For hardwoods, I go down to Yandles but it can be very hit n'missy to pick up decent boards as there's generally a lot of tat amongst the good stuff - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 11 Aug 2016, 14:41

Yandles should be having another open weekend in September when they display tools, machinery and timber at discounts - free entry too.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MattS » 11 Aug 2016, 18:28

eBay is worth a look for timber. Lots of listings of odd sized small offcuts. I have bought these and used for little projects before but could be used for practicing with tools or joints etc. Bonus is a lot is already planed so will again be good for you starting out.

You may need to sift through listings to find useful sizes!
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 12 Aug 2016, 07:10

Thanks Rod, I think I'm working the weekend of the Yandles open day which is a shame but I will keep an eye out for the next one.

Thanks Matt, I will keep looking on eBay, the killer is usually finding some close enough to collect or the cost of postage. It's where I found the timber yard nearish to me which has just started listing pallets of off its on there.

Also going to keep an eye on freecycle for any old hardwood furniture too :)
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 12 Aug 2016, 07:17

[/quote]
If you want decent quality softwood, I've had some good stuff from Sydenhams on Churchfields. If you pick and choose, there's also (believe it or not) some quite good quality stuff at InExcess on the Netherhampton Rd and it's also very inexpensive.

For hardwoods, I go down to Yandles but it can be very hit n'missy to pick up decent boards as there's generally a lot of tat amongst the good stuff - Rob[/quote]

Hi Rob,

I must have driven past in-excess dozens of times but never thought to stop in, my wife likes a bit of gardening so I could use that as a good excuse to swing by... ;)

Thanks

James
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to General Woodworking