It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:42

Plastic Doors (UPVC) Locks

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Plastic Doors (UPVC) Locks

Postby Rod » 25 Aug 2016, 20:45

I've no experience of UPVC doors but my younger daughter has a problem in that my 18month Granddaughter can now open their front door!
Is there anyway of fitting a deadlock or another form of lock to them?

Rod
Last edited by Rod on 26 Aug 2016, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Plastic Doors (UPVC) Locks

Postby Doug » 26 Aug 2016, 07:08

Does the existing lock have one of those thumb turn knobs which you can unlock he door without a key?

The main problem with trying to fit a second lock is space as the existing locking mechanism runs the length of the door though there are devices you can screw on to the internal surface of the door & frame.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 26 Aug 2016, 08:30

From memory the handle opens the door, there's no catch or other fitment. It's very easy to lock yourself as you need a key to open it from the outside.
I've done a bit of googling and I think she might have to replace the lock with a different kind?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 26 Aug 2016, 08:57

I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 26 Aug 2016, 12:02

That's probably OK when everybody are home but would prevent others entering, but also there's a risk of the toddler getting fingers trapped.
I've just been round to inspect things.
The door is locked with a Yale type key so that could be used each time and placed out of reach of the little one? She's already developed the knack of moving furniture etc to stand on to be able to reach things which were thought to be "safe".
She climbed out of her cot the other night and can open bedroom doors.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby DaveL » 26 Aug 2016, 16:10

Sounds very familiar, Dad had to fix the playpen to the dining room table to stop me wedging it behind the kitchen door, stopping Mum from getting back in.
Dad changed some of the door knobs from lever to round to stop me getting into some rooms.
I put son Joe in the playpen in the garden, before he could walk, popped back inside to collect some more toys, when I got back he was sat next to the now collapsed and fold playpen with a a big smile on his face.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Return to General Woodworking