It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:47

Design my spandrels for me.

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Re: Design my spandrels for me.

Postby kirkpoore1 » 05 Sep 2016, 06:58

RogerS wrote:Mike, for medieval fonts, Google 'medieval manuscripts' and check out the images. They do tend to be rather ornate with fine terminals, loops, serifs and brackets, though.

The thing is, there were a lot of different calligraphic hands used during the medieval era. Some, like Carolingian minuscule, are quite easy to read. The problem with that style is that it doesn't match what we think of as Gothic carving, because it is much too early. Others, like the font used in the Gutenberg Bible, are the appropriate time period but are neither easily legible or easily carved. Someplace around here I do have some images of the style of lettering used on carvings on medieval Welsh tombs. They're quite carvable, but are a couple of centuries early (late 1200's).

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby old » 05 Sep 2016, 08:11

At the back of my mind i think there is a design/symbol for a architect i seem to remember a set of dividers and maybe some set squares but not much more it would be difficult to carve but could be CNC 'd and fixed for best effect.Just half an idea for your consideration .
old
New Shoots

Name: Chris

Postby Tusses » 05 Sep 2016, 09:34

Dividers and Squares sounds like the Masonry symbols to me ?
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 05 Sep 2016, 10:11

Tusses wrote:Dividers and Squares sounds like the Masonry symbols to me ?

Correct. The RIBA logo is a pair of lions aside a castle turret.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby old » 05 Sep 2016, 11:26

found this on google
http://www.istockphoto.com/vector/set-o ... 6-16279759

they do not seem to have any masonic connections
old
New Shoots

Name: Chris

Postby TrimTheKing » 05 Sep 2016, 11:37

I assumed this was the one you were talking about, which is the Freemasons logo

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ac/Square_compasses.svg/220px-Square_compasses.svg.png

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Sep 2016, 20:56

Hi Mike,

Been away on a family trip (Chester and Aberdeen).

How about a Springbok in one and a Viking ship in the other (from the Suffolk Coat of Arms)?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Sep 2016, 14:44

Last week/weekend has seen several Open Heritage Days https://www.heritageopendays.org.uk

Saturday, MC and I visited our local church and had a tour of the tower, including clock, bell room, belfry and top of the tower.

Then I confronted my vertigo by going to the open top of the tower and experimented with panoramic view.

On Sunday, and to return to the original theme of this thread, we visited Ayshford Chapel, set in the shadow of the Grand Western Canal, the Great Western Railway and the M5. It is owned by the Friends of Friendless Churches, and is still consecrated and therefore available for worship and mass.

Inside was this 15C carved oak chancel screen.

I'm cross I never took a close up of the spandrels, but they looked like they reflected the carvings along the top of the screen. Although they were somewhat worn, they all looked like oak leaves to me.

A brilliant couple of days exploring local heritage for free, and picking up traditional design ideas.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby kirkpoore1 » 13 Sep 2016, 04:55

Mike:

I spent Monday trying to get a job, but have been thinking about your spandrels. I will try to have a drawing for you by Wednesday (your time). I also have a book with medieval calligraphy and will scan some pics for you.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 13 Sep 2016, 07:45

Thanks Malcolm, Kirk.

I can zoom in on those photos in Photoshop, Malcolm, so I'll have a closer look this evening.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 13 Sep 2016, 09:38

Mike G wrote:Thanks Malcolm, Kirk.

I can zoom in on those photos in Photoshop, Malcolm, so I'll have a closer look this evening.

If you can zoom, then the calligraphy on the window may inspire. The notes say the windows were added in 1848, Art Deco style.

Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby kirkpoore1 » 14 Sep 2016, 17:18

Mike, here's my design. This won't exactly match what you want, but I will describe what I did so that you can re-create on your own. If you want to PM me your email I can send you the scan.

Photobucket has rotated this, but anyway:

1. I start by assuming you want a 1/2" wide flat surface around all the edges. Inside that I drew a 1/2 wide line representing a beveled surface which slopes down to the background.

2. I picked an arbitrary "center" point C which will be the center of the design. I then drew a line between each corner point (P1, P2, P3) through C to an arbitrary point on the opposite side (M1, M2, M3).

3. I drew a circle around C at an arbitrary distance to mark the ends of the points that I was about to draw. I made these points blunt to make them easier to carve.

4.I took my compass and drew arcs with the compass center on the line (for example, P1-M1) so that the arc runs smoothly from the outside bevel to the end of the point. The radius on all these arcs are arbitrary.

5. I added a secondary pair of points on the longest arm to fill space. Again, the centers of the arcs are on the line P2-M2 and are just positioned to "look good".

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 14 Sep 2016, 18:22

Thanks Kirk, that's excellent. I might square off the end to the second point, to the right of the main one, and may look at reducing the length of the points if I am going to put a date or an oak leaf or whatever in there........but otherwise, spot on. I always like a little geometry whenever I set anything out.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 14 Sep 2016, 18:30

Mike G wrote:Thanks Kirk, that's excellent. I might square off the end to the second point, to the right of the main one, and may look at reducing the length of the points if I am going to put a date or an oak leaf or whatever in there........but otherwise, spot on. I always like a little geometry whenever I set anything out.

Most Gothic decoration is compass and straight edge stuff. If you're free handing it, it's probably wrong. :)

Looks like photobucket got the picture right after all--in the preview it was rotated.

Reducing the point size is good--it's all pretty arbitrary.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Postby stephen.wood125 » 15 Sep 2016, 10:39

I saw the title and wondered why anyone would want a spam mandrel, though I suppose it wouldn't be easy to turn is without one, hot glue wouldn't work too well :mrgreen:

On a serious note, I like the idea of a stylised Springbok head or something.

Stephen
stephen.wood125
New Shoots

Name: Stephen

Previous

Return to General Woodworking