It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:24

is there a 'standard' for Euro hinges??

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

is there a 'standard' for Euro hinges??

Postby oddsocks » 11 Oct 2016, 23:03

I ask the question because I'd always thought that there was a standard (i.e. hole size 35mm, 5mm from door edge for the normal kitchen cabinet 18mm overlay hinges with fitting holes 32mm from edge and 45mm apart) but I've just ordered some Salice hinges and the main fitting is the normal 35mm diameter but the securing holes are closer to the edge (28.5mm not 32) and at 48mm spacing (not 45).

Normally buying and fitting any brand would not be an issue if the sizes were 'bespoke' , but my wife had asked me to change the blum clip on hinges on one kitchen cabinet from 110degree opening to 'fully open' - so I had added two appropriate 165 degree soft close Salice hinges and mounts to a bigger order I had for some understair storage drawer runners and clip-on hinges for a single coat storage door. I had included the mounts as I suspected clip on would be vendor specific. Today I went to swap the kitchen door hinges and realised that it was not a straight swap hence the question. The salice holes are hard to redrill as the current ones are too close.
Looking online it seems that most suppliers (that show fitting instructions) follow the blum dimensions, but I can't find anywhere that states a standard - it appears that 'euro hinge' is a generic description.

After a fair amount of research this evening I've found the equivalent 170degree blum hinges that will clip on and be a direct fit, but at double the cost (including small order P&P).

I'll start a thread on the understairs storage at the weekend.

Dave
oddsocks
New Shoots

Name: Dave

Re: is there a 'standard' for Euro hinges??

Postby Robert » 12 Oct 2016, 09:04

Some years ago when I did a refresh of our old kitchen with new doors and drawers I bought all the drawer systems and hinges from Ikea. Their hinges then had the Blum brand on them and were cheaper than I could buy Blum for anywhere else.

They probably make their own by now but the quality will be just as good. Depends if there is a worthwhile saving and if you can face Ikea's ordering system!

I'd be interested to know if there is a standard hole to door edge too. I have fitted them with 5mm edge to edge and 3.5mm and it is always hard to know what is right. Trial and error with scrap pieces is my usual method.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Oct 2016, 09:27

I found a good company a while ago who you could order Hafele, Blum etc through without the small order cost, they just waited until they had enough individual orders to put in one big one then posted yours out separately.

I'll seed if I can dig out the name. They were really helpful and saved me a bundle on small orders.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby oddsocks » 12 Oct 2016, 12:30

Robert wrote:I'd be interested to know if there is a standard hole to door edge too. I have fitted them with 5mm edge to edge and 3.5mm and it is always hard to know what is right. Trial and error with scrap pieces is my usual method.

Robert, the edge distance determines the minimum reveal - the normal 5mm hole gives about 2mm reveal of the carcase i.e for an 18mm thick panel the door overhangs 16mm.

Salice and Blum catalogues have the options listed in their catalogues - this link to blum has a brochure download at the bottom (and some XLS to help plan)

http://www.blum.com/us/en/01/20/30/
page 2 of the brochure at the top has the drilling distances for a boring distance of 3 to 8mm
then look at page 13 (as an example) -it gives the values - using the bottom left example, 5mm would give an overlay of 16mm with a hinge mounting plate 0mm thick. A bore distance of 6mm would give an overlay of 17mm (this changes to 13mm if used with a 3mm high mount).

If you look at the equivalent Salice doc the info is similar but the reveals/overlays are slighlty different (obviously once fitted there is a bit of adjustment in the hinge and mounting plate).

The position of the hole is also driven by the thickness of the cupboard side that the hinge mount is on - if you have a 15mm thick side you don't want an overlay of 16mm - so either need to move the hole or buy a thicker mount.

Ive been doing a bit of reading over the past few days!

Dave
oddsocks
New Shoots

Name: Dave

Return to General Woodworking