It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:06

Poplar price? how much to pay?

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Poplar price? how much to pay?

Postby meccarroll » 18 Oct 2016, 10:36

HI just wondered how much you should pay for poplar (tulipwood) and where is best places to buy. Quantity would be enough for an average size kitchen (face frame). Purchase in 1" or similar sawn boards for converting to 7/8" use. There are a lot of retailers but some seem to charge a lot of money.

A lot of people seem to use it for interior cupboards, kitchens etc and as I have a few things in the pipeline I thought I might try it.

Like a lot of things if you know where to buy and how much to pay you can save a fortune. Any help with is appreciated.

TIA

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Re: Poplar price? how much to pay?

Postby Doug » 18 Oct 2016, 11:22

£25 a cubic foot rings a bell, I priced up a load last week & have the quote at home, I m on site at the mo but will check when I'm back.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 18 Oct 2016, 18:44

I was a tad high, £22 +vat so £26.40 including for 1" planks
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 18 Oct 2016, 20:20

I think 1" nominal tends to be 27mm +/- a bit and you might be hard pushed to get many long pieces planed flat at 22mm (7/8")

I've been through this with my ash project. The supplier had 32mm on their website but when it arrived is was 38mm and planing that down to 22mm has been very wasteful.
Whether I could of got away with 27mm sawn I don't know. Could have been more waste where some boards were not thick enough to yield 22mm.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby meccarroll » 18 Oct 2016, 20:31

Doug wrote:I was a tad high, £22 +vat so £26.40 including for 1" planks

Hi Doug, and thank you very much for spending the time to dig out your invoice. Sorry to be a pain but could you let me know who your supplier is please.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby meccarroll » 18 Oct 2016, 20:40

9fingers wrote:I think 1" nominal tends to be 27mm +/- a bit and you might be hard pushed to get many long pieces planed flat at 22mm (7/8")

I've been through this with my ash project. The supplier had 32mm on their website but when it arrived is was 38mm and planing that down to 22mm has been very wasteful.
Whether I could of got away with 27mm sawn I don't know. Could have been more waste where some boards were not thick enough to yield 22mm.

Bob

Bob, I think you have made a valid point with regard to how practical it may be to expect to obtain 7/8" out of 1" sawn for a long lengths (2m), It may be possible if cut down for short lengths though (1m). I will bear what you have said in mind when I place any future orders.

Good point.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 19 Oct 2016, 09:49

I used to get in inch and a quarter. Or inch and a half from lavers. I found that inch stock was too rubbish, it's really soft and was quite flexible in boards, this prone to deep marks from sawing. It was a pain getting stock out of it. When I went up a size I got decent stock out of it, if I remember right I was finishing at 22 or 25mm. Great for moulding but can be a little fluffy so needs prep before spraying. I ended up dropping it in favour of steamed beech which was slightly more expensive but less waste, sharp moulds, great to paint and it could take a knock without damage.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby meccarroll » 20 Oct 2016, 07:46

MJ80 wrote:I used to get in inch and a quarter. Or inch and a half from lavers. I found that inch stock was too rubbish, it's really soft and was quite flexible in boards, this prone to deep marks from sawing. It was a pain getting stock out of it. When I went up a size I got decent stock out of it, if I remember right I was finishing at 22 or 25mm. Great for moulding but can be a little fluffy so needs prep before spraying. I ended up dropping it in favour of steamed beech which was slightly more expensive but less waste, sharp moulds, great to paint and it could take a knock without damage.

Cheers for info. Probably need 1 1/4" at least.

A few people have commented on the use of beech for cupboard doors. Some think it may warp and twist others suggest using steamed to stem the problem. I like beech and as you say it comes off a spindle moulder really crisp.

More food for thought, thank you MJ80

Mark

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Return to General Woodworking