It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:47

Soft close hinges & push to open?

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Soft close hinges & push to open?

Postby meccarroll » 23 Oct 2016, 07:48

Hi all,

Just wondered if you can combine soft close hinges with a push to open feature?

I've been asked about making some cabinet doors with no handles that push to open and have soft close :?

I said I don't think it is possible to combine the two on doors (draws yes) so may have to use a concealed handles for opening. Has anyone had any success or know of any hinges that do both soft close and push to open?

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Re: Soft close hinges & push to open?

Postby Charlie » 23 Oct 2016, 18:44

I don't know the answer to the question but Blum Technical Support should be able to give you the answer - http://www.blum.com/gb/en/04/70/20/70/10/
Charlie
Now that I've made this mess, how do I fix it?
Charlie
Seedling

Name:

Postby Doug » 23 Oct 2016, 19:06

I know blumotion tip on do drawers runners that are push open & soft close but are push open push close hinges
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby meccarroll » 25 Oct 2016, 07:52

Thank you for the replies chaps.

Looks like it is probably not practical to combine the two actions in hinges at the moment from all the advice given. I'll do some phoning around, as suggested, to see what options may be applicable.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby greeno » 25 Oct 2016, 09:08

I've done it before with a simple touch latch and soft close hinges. You always have to give an extra final push to get the latch to engage when closing .

There might be a more elegant and integrated solution now though.
greeno
New Shoots

Name:

Postby meccarroll » 26 Oct 2016, 07:01

greeno wrote:I've done it before with a simple touch latch and soft close hinges. You always have to give an extra final push to get the latch to engage when closing .

There might be a more elegant and integrated solution now though.

So there might be a possibility after all, cheers greeno.

It's probably worth setting it up then asking the people what they think. When I get the chance I telephone Blum to ask their advice.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby oddsocks » 26 Oct 2016, 23:20

Mark, my wren Kitchen came with soft close blum hinges integrated into them that can be disabled by a small lever. Reading the blum info last week (for something else but I had wondered what the lever was for) it mentioned disabling one or both hinges to allow push to open to work (from a separate push button)

I've never used that but it looks possible but not as an integrated unit?

Dave
oddsocks
New Shoots

Name: Dave

Postby meccarroll » 27 Oct 2016, 07:47

oddsocks wrote:Mark, my wren Kitchen came with soft close blum hinges integrated into them that can be disabled by a small lever. Reading the blum info last week (for something else but I had wondered what the lever was for) it mentioned disabling one or both hinges to allow push to open to work (from a separate push button)

I've never used that but it looks possible but not as an integrated unit?

Dave

Cheers Dave, I have some of the Blum Blumotion Soft Close Hinges with the disabling lever, disabled and without the soft close they seem quite harsh.......wallop!

Some manufacturers hinges might have slight differences in the way they operate. Picking the right combination might work but just looking into what might be available at the moment.

The ideal scenario would be Flat sheet material for doors (pre finished and edged) Push doors to open then soft close on return.

The Blum, Blumotion Soft Close hinges seem to have the soft close action kick in at about 30 degrees (part closed) and the soft close action continues until fully closed. I'm not sure but the soft close action may stop at the opening catch and then hinder full closing slightly.

When I get the chance I'll ring Blum to see what they suggest.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Return to General Woodworking