It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:12

Advice for dust extraction

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Advice for dust extraction

Postby Nautilus21 » 07 Nov 2016, 21:29

Hi all

As I am slowly upgrading workshop and getting more toys I need to include a dust/chip extractor..

I already have a couple of hplv fine filter jobbies and need to add something able to cope with new planer/thicknesses and help (I know it's not perfect) with extract from a lathe.

So what I need help with is what to look for and wHat makes...

I think I want something around 2 hp and will when funds allow upgrade to include a finer filter cartridge

So what have you guys got... What could you recommend budget ideally £200 ish......

Cheers in advance
Nautilus21
Seedling

Name:

Re: Advice for dust extraction

Postby 9fingers » 07 Nov 2016, 23:05

I gather you have an aversion to ebay from another post but that is where I picked up a 3hp blower and fitted that to a home brew cyclone and big cartridge filter on the ceiling out of the way. Add a load of 110mm drainpipe and I've got 8 inlet around the workshop. Copes with my 15" thicknesser which is my heaviest waste producer.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby the bear » 08 Nov 2016, 00:07

Not sure where you are in the country as your avatar doesn't say, or whether your aversion to ebay can be overcome but if it can, type "dust extraction system" into ebay, press "used" and for £50 you can have a massive blower, huge metal cyclone, drop box and loads of ducting and home made blast gates. Its in Harrogate so may not be convenient but a bargain for someone.

PS I don't know the seller, I have no connection to the sale, I happened to see it while looking for something else earlier tonight. As always buyer beware.

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Nautilus21 » 08 Nov 2016, 22:01

Thanks guys...

Not a huge aversion to E...y but do prefer to have a deal with someone without losing 20% in the middle on fees!!!

Thanks for the info on systems... I must admit hadn't thought about making a home brew... I was thinking of one of the 2hp systems but guess it would be better to buy equivalent blower..?
Nautilus21
Seedling

Name:

Return to General Woodworking