It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:38

A bit of time in the workshop

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

A bit of time in the workshop

Postby woodstalker » 15 Jan 2017, 23:35

Only really get an hour at most in a day at the moment with all the other jobs than need doing round the house but also with the baby who is a welcome time filler!

However today i had a crack at a few things:

1. Set up my dust cyclone with my shop vac and tried it out to clean up all the sawdust i have generated recently. All went swimmingly until my dust container proved unable to take the vacuum and imploded, not in a catastrophic way but its not strong enough to withstand the suction. I am using one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331827048988?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=540913641465&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyone able to suggest something a bit more robust, not too pricey and easy to get delivered?

2. I managed to complete my sharpening setup and got a few of my cheapo chisels nice and sharp which was pleasing.

3. Made my first ever hand cut mortice and tenon joint. To be honest i had a go yesterday but the result looked awful so today i took my laptop into the workshop and followed a video on youtube step by step and actually i was very pleased how it turned out. The mortice was a little wonky but cleaned up ok.

4. Started putting together the utility/laundry area we have in the basement room thats being decorated. Plumbed in the washing machine and drier, albeit temporarily because i have a huge butler sink to fit down there and will then mover the washing machine next to it and build a wood worktop to go over it. So part of the M&T practice was to see if i can build a sturdy frame to site the sink on and then extend it for the worktop to sit on.

All in all despite only really getting a couple of hours over the weekend, what i did do, i enjoyed!
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: A bit of time in the workshop

Postby Rod » 15 Jan 2017, 23:51

I read somewhere of users fitting a safety valve to the cyclone?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 16 Jan 2017, 00:03

Rod wrote:I read somewhere of users fitting a safety valve to the cyclone?

Rod

Yep, cyclone central sell them and have plans for how to make it I think. I exploded my actual cyclone before fitting this but it's been fine since.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 16 Jan 2017, 07:25

I would have thought that barrel was well strong enough. I bought my cyclone from cyclone central but made my own pressure relief valve with a magnet and jam jar lid.
Details here
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=471&hilit=Cyclone&start=50
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby chataigner » 16 Jan 2017, 08:44

Yes, using the cyclone with a low volume high pressure extractor such as a shop vac you will need a relief valve. I use a low pressure high volume extractor (crudely speaking : a big fan running slowly rather than a small fan runnning fast) which moves a lot of air but does not ever create the same pressure drop, so the risk is lower, but it's a good idea to have a relief valve even in a hvlp set-up.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby woodstalker » 16 Jan 2017, 09:13

Ah i see, cheers guys i will fit a pressure relief valve, i must have been trying to pick up too much stuff in one go and the slight clog caused the collapse.

I had a look at cyclone central and everything seems to be out of stock, i think i would prefer the spring loaded type that resets as soon as the pressure is normal again like in the photo of Peter Parfitts one posted on AndyPs thread by Chems. I will try and email peter to see if he has the design for his available.

One more thing to add to the list, also need some more hose since to get it up and running i cut the hose of my Titan vac in half so i am now lacking a bit of reach!

James
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby chataigner » 16 Jan 2017, 09:38

Here's one way to do it :

http://festoolownersgroup.com/other-tools-accessories/how-to-make-an-'auto-resetting'-pressure-relief-valve-for-cyclones/

Using household drain fittings seems like a simple approach that would work well.

Not sure about the magnet in this version : personally, I would prefer a spring because the pressure to open of a magnet based system is a bit difficult to measure or to set. Using a spring it is easy to adjust.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Phil » 16 Jan 2017, 11:17

Just an idle thought ........................... 8-)

Maybe a Mod can do a sticky under "Tips" with links to the various cyclone threads on WH2 and other external reference sites?

Just a thought.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby TrimTheKing » 16 Jan 2017, 12:15

Definitely worth fitting something and ASAP. You were lucky it was the drum that went, I exploded my cyclone on first use!!! :shock:

Luckily Chems sent me the replacement body at discounted rate which was very kind, but I bought the valve at the same time and didn't use it again until the valve was fitted.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 16 Jan 2017, 15:35

Be aware that if you are using an HPLV, such as a shop vac or Camvac as I use,if the PRV is on the top of the drum when it is triggered the rush of air may result in some of the contents being sucked up into the extractor.
That is what happened to me and is why I positioned the PRV in a Y piece a foot or so above the top of the Cyclone.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby woodstalker » 16 Jan 2017, 22:11

Thanks very much all for the replies, i also emailed Peter Parfitt about his design and he kindly sent me some pictures, description and advice.

I went down to the workshop this evening and managed to more or less straighten out my plastic barrel; I will get on and hunt out some springs and magnets!
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Jan 2017, 23:09

Well done on getting then M&T joint done! :text-bravo:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby woodstalker » 17 Jan 2017, 00:02

Malc2098 wrote:Well done on getting then M&T joint done! :text-bravo:

Cheers Malc, thats the bit i was most proud of. Certainly helped having sharp tools! :D
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 17 Jan 2017, 08:24

Sorry forgot about the woodwork aspects of your OP. Providing you can get the shoulders square and true the tenon can always be shimmed to fit.
Now the tools are sharp you can try some dovetails.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby woodstalker » 17 Jan 2017, 12:04

Andyp wrote:Sorry forgot about the woodwork aspects of your OP. Providing you can get the shoulders square and true the tenon can always be shimmed to fit.
Now the tools are sharp you can try some dovetails.

Thanks Andy, appreciate all the advice. Hand cut dovetails are on my list to try and do!
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to General Woodworking