It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:23

Camvac vs Cyclone

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Re: Camvac vs Cyclone

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Jan 2017, 22:02

Andyp wrote:What will you do about a pressure relief valve in case of the inevitable blockage?

Not needed apparently...I did ask - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 19 Jan 2017, 09:10

Woodbloke wrote:
Andyp wrote:What will you do about a pressure relief valve in case of the inevitable blockage?

Not needed apparently...I did ask - Rob

Be carefull then .
All of their reviews on the US site seem to show low pressure systems and although I can see that the Oneida Cyclone is made of a much heavier plastic then the Cyclone Central ones but with the suck of the Camvac or that Numatic something has got to give if you get a blockage and the extractor attempts to create a vacuum.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 19 Jan 2017, 10:38

I would be careful with that Rob. I also have the NVD750 and that's what exploded my CC Cyclone. I know the Oneida one is heavier duty but given the damage I saw I wouldn't be taking the chance just for saving a few pennies...

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Jimmy Mack » 19 Jan 2017, 14:40

I've had a Dust Deputy for a couple of years now (the older design)... works great! Have had a cam vac style system in the past, where I ran a industrial wet vac (twin 1000w) inline with a modded domestic black bin...this has been superseded by the LPHV twin bag 'duct & gated' system and soon to be added some pleated fine filters to replace the cloth bags.

With the Dust Deputy I use to run it with a bagless (George) and very little got into his bucket. I now run it via a fancy pants CTL with it's fine filter bag catching at the end of the chain... need to get a caddy sorted for the Deputy to sit on top/the side.

You can buy a pressure release kit, I believe?...or there are tutorials about on DIY'ing one. I beefed up the underside of mine with a piece of ply, so it can handle temporary blockages without the risk of imploding.

Jim

I'll post some pics..via TAPATALK
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 19 Jan 2017, 14:46

Ply reinforcement...

Sent from my HTC 0P6B900 using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Jan 2017, 18:10

It's been a very busy couple of days! First up, I stuffed a small Dust Commander cyclone (similar to the Dust Deputy) in front of my brand spanking new NVD750. The collector is an old pond fish food bucket so it has to be air tight and I also fitted a PRV. Lots of duct tape used to make the hose connections :D

It works :shock: :shock: :shock: bigly huge time!

Second up, I fitted a Onedia Dust Deputy Super to the main system and gashed the old dustbin lid separator...sort of. What I actually did is to cannibalize the lid to form a new flat surface onto which the the cyclone could be bolted.

You can see the rim of the old lid stuck the bin with some silicon and again, there's a PRV fitted on the rhs. The worst part of the whole job was trying to fit the Onedia reducers. The one at the top fitted with only a slight struggle with a mallet but the side one was about 5mm too big all round, so there's been a bit of Heath Robinson stuff done with an old plastic funnel and copious quantities of duct tape, but it works and it's solid. Performance is outstanding and there's nothing getting past into the Camvac drum - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 21 Jan 2017, 18:40

Nice one Rob.

How are you going to empty the barrell?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Jan 2017, 19:11

Andyp wrote:Nice one Rob.

How are you going to empty the barrell?

Undo the eight nuts and lift the whole thing off the carriage bolt studs. Tip the barrel over, scoop up detritus as normal, refit cyclone. Simples - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 21 Jan 2017, 20:21

So you have enough flexi pipe to rest the cyclone on the floor when the barrel is removed?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Jan 2017, 21:31

Andyp wrote:So you have enough flexi pipe to rest the cyclone on the floor when the barrel is removed?

I think what I'll do is to put a plank underneath the cyclone between the disc sander and p/t to support it when the barrel' removed - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 21 Jan 2017, 21:41

Ah ha. This is exactly the problem I thought long and hard about. Ideally being able to release the inlet and outlet pipes from the cyclone is the way to go. Currently mine are connected by a slide fit onto fixed pipes and although they are obviously above the base of the cyclone they cannot be totally airtight. I am looking for a rubber sleeve that I can roll over the join.

I also would like a cheap solution to knowing when the barrel is full.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Jan 2017, 22:02

Andyp wrote:Ah ha. This is exactly the problem I thought long and hard about. Ideally being able to release the inlet and outlet pipes from the cyclone is the way to go. Currently mine are connected by a slide fit onto fixed pipes and although they are obviously above the base of the cyclone they cannot be totally airtight. I am looking for a rubber sleeve that I can roll over the join.

I also would like a cheap solution to knowing when the barrel is full.

It's awkward 'cos you need to support the cyclone gubbins whilst the barrel is slid out the way and a plank seems to me to be the easiest solution. I'm loathe to disconnect hoses etc having got them airtight.

As to knowing when the barrel is full, a Perspex window of some sort seems obvious, but how do you do that in a barrel with a curved wall? :? - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Jan 2017, 22:13

What about a large rubber bung of some sort? Drill a hole in the side of the barrel, stuff in the bung and remove it to check inside. If you can see shavings, it's time to empty the barrel - Rob

Edit - I can see into my barrel by looking into the 40mm hole for the PRV. The tin lid is just held on by a bit of string (aka Peter Parfitt) and it ought to be easy to replace it by dangling a coat hanger wire inside with a little rare earth magnet on the end and do a spot of fishing?
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Doug » 22 Jan 2017, 00:40

Jimmy Mack wrote:I've had a Dust Deputy for a couple of years now (the older design)... works great!

That doesn't look that old Jimmy, mines around 9 years old & looks quite different.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 22 Jan 2017, 09:13

Doug wrote:
Jimmy Mack wrote:I've had a Dust Deputy for a couple of years now (the older design)... works great!

That doesn't look that old Jimmy, mines around 9 years old & looks quite different.

Perhaps 4/5 yrs old. Not as flash as the black one in the previous posted. It works really well tho.

Is yours much different Doug?

Jim

Sent from my HTC 0P6B900 using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 22 Jan 2017, 11:55

This mine Jimmy

It sits at the end of the bench & is hooked up to an auto switching vac via the black rainwater downpipe seen coming off the top.
The grey Festool hose is attached to a sliding loop that runs on an 8' long 1" dowel that's suspended above the bench along with a Festool lead which gives me overhead extraction for all my hand held power tools.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Previous

Return to General Woodworking