It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:58

Key won't turn

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Key won't turn

Postby Jimmy Mack » 24 Jan 2017, 20:13

Not really a 'General Woodworking' topic, apologies. Mod's do feel free to move...

I popped out of the workshop for some lunch, returned and one of the two Euro Cylinders won't turn...They're keyed alike. There seems to be two turn steps. The first where the cylinder pins engage and meet the lever, the second where the bolt returns/ turns. This cylinder won't do either.

I'm wondering if the lock has somehow failed, perhaps when they were customised (badly?) to be 'keyed alike'
It's a flat key, Anti-Bump/snap off Yale type.

Typically I'd veneered up some Walnut in the Bagpress, (no timer), so I've had to now kill the power from the house cut-out rather than leave it running.

Anyone with an experience like this? Can Euro cylinders just fail?

Very frustrating...I'm hoping the Locksmith coming in the morning can pick it or use some dastardly trick to fix , not a cheap option but better than damaging the door and stuck for what else to do :?

Jim
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Key won't turn

Postby Harv-53 » 24 Jan 2017, 21:05

Hi Jim
Did you slam the door when you left the workshop?, I know some of the anti bump eurocylinders have a pin collapse mechanism which often works when a door is slammed, unfortunately that's the end of the lock.
your locksmith will be able to remove it, if your going to get replacement keyed alike cylinders I can highly recommend Anker cylinders they're quite pricey but worth it
Harv-53
New Shoots

Name: Harvey

Postby chataigner » 24 Jan 2017, 21:37

It's not simply frozen is it ? I had to warm the lock on my barn door before I could move anything one day last week (also euro cylinder).
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Jimmy Mack » 24 Jan 2017, 22:22

chataigner wrote:It's not simply frozen is it ? I had to warm the lock on my barn door before I could move anything one day last week (also euro cylinder).

I wondered this, so I gave it a blast with managements hair dryer.

No luck tho.

Sent from my HTC 0P6B900 using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 24 Jan 2017, 22:27

Harv-53 wrote:Hi Jim
Did you slam the door when you left the workshop?, I know some of the anti bump eurocylinders have a pin collapse mechanism which often works when a door is slammed, unfortunately that's the end of the lock.
your locksmith will be able to remove it, if your going to get replacement keyed alike cylinders I can highly recommend Anker cylinders they're quite pricey but worth it

I shut the door no differently than usual, but useful to know that they can be sensitive to slamming (sheen my daughter gets older). I did bump the key about in the hope it might be a sticky pin.

Not sure where I stand with the supplier of the locks, they weren't cheap too get matched, and they didn't answer the phone today. Thanks for the product tip Harv.

Jim

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 25 Jan 2017, 19:59

Locksmith came today and snapped a Yale 'anti-snap' lock...it snapped on the wrong side though, as in the side a burglar or a Locksmith would won't it too!...Yale design fail.

It was the Locksmiths opinion that the cylinder had failed.

The lock supplier are being particularly awkward about discussing it....for starters their technical / customer services department will only communicate via email...what's that all about?! :eusa-think:

Jim

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 25 Jan 2017, 20:34

I bought some anti snap locks when we moved here. Cisa Astral S From a company called Tough Locks who are not trading anymore.
Fortunately two doors would have to fail at the same time to prevent entry to the house. And if I have a problem with the barn I just unscrew a few shiplap boards :oops:

Did the locksmith make any recommendations for replacement locks?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Jimmy Mack » 25 Jan 2017, 21:46

Andyp wrote:I bought some anti snap locks when we moved here. Cisa Astral S From a company called Tough Locks who are not trading anymore.
Fortunately two doors would have to fail at the same time to prevent entry to the house. And if I have a problem with the barn I just unscrew a few shiplap boards :oops:

Did the locksmith make any recommendations for replacement locks?

Funny you should say Andy...he actually recommended Cisa.

Having a 44mm wooden door (plus Euro escutcheons) I require a 30/30 mm cylinder and the options are limited, most brands don't go lower than 35/35. I'm going to look into Cisa tho

Jim

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 29 Jan 2017, 13:37

Unbelievably the supplier are sending out a new cylinder! Hopefully, it's been built better than the last!

Still I'm not too happy about the 'Anti-snap' begin fail. so you think I should send it to YALE?

The locksmith mentioned something about Birmingham plates, to protect the style?... but then in the likely event of a lock fail (again)... I'll be kicking my own door in :( ... :lol:
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Return to General Woodworking