It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:44

Roofing - HOW??

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Re: Roofing - HOW??

Postby Deejay » 13 Mar 2017, 16:36

Afternoon Mark

There's a comprehensive guide to flashing here ...

http://www.fixmyroof.co.uk/install-roof-flashings/

If you want to nail your soakers to the laths, I think you'll have to get the slates off. It can be done without breaking them if you're careful and cover the slate with something (hardboard?) before you lever against it to pull out the nail. Alternatively, since you did it properly and used copper nails, you can get a slate ripper up to cut them .

Don't forget the patination oil.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Postby Doug » 13 Mar 2017, 17:25

I'd want soakers & traditional step flashing Mark espically if your site is exposed.

I've not fitted a velux for a few years I think they come with a skirt for fitting under the tiles these days as well as the normal flashing kit.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Mar 2017, 18:35

Totally agree Doug and if i can do it without having to strip half the roof back then so much the better.

Thanks for that Dave, reading through it now…

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 13 Mar 2017, 19:58

My experience down here in the soft south is that we only use soakers with tiles, not with slate. Slate really needs to sit flat on the roof, and even the few mm of Code 3 lead soakers kicks them somewhat. I'd be completely comfortable with a cover flashing, just siliconed down onto the slates.........so long as it went comfortably past the half-way point of the first full slate adjacent to the abutment. Having said that, it doesn't solve your problem, which is getting access to do the step flashing. Where did I post a warning about doing this first before slating the small roof?

You've now got the issue of leaning on the slates to mark out the lead, and then to do the pointing up (with silicon these days) once the flashing is in place.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Roofing - HOW??

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Mar 2017, 20:13

Thanks Mike that's good to know, any particular kind of silicone for the cover flashing?

Yep you did, but by the time I had read that and got home they had already finished... :(

I've been thinking of ways around it...with the rear still not done I reckon I could build something to rest on the rear rafters/battens and bridge over the roof then rest on the scaffold down the other side to allow access without leaning on the slates...

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Mike G » 13 Mar 2017, 20:23

A low modulus silicon is best, Mark. Put the bead at least an inch from the outer edge, because as the lead gets beaten down it will spread, and you don't want it smearing across the face of the slates. They should still use lead straps to hold the edges in.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Mar 2017, 00:04

Lead straps to hold the edges in...???

Mark

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Mike G » 14 Mar 2017, 08:53

http://www.calderlead.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Calder-Guide-to-Good-Leadwork.pdf

See Pages 10 & 11

I said "straps", but should have said "clips".
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Mar 2017, 09:18

Thanks Mike

Not sure how I would get those in now the slates are on?! Looks like page 11 shows them for a cover flashing and has the clips hooking over the battens but how would I do that as there's not enough give in the slates to lift them that high...

Cheers
Mark

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Deejay » 14 Mar 2017, 09:59

Morning Mark

I reckon I could build something to rest on the rear rafters/battens and bridge over the roof then rest on the scaffold down the other side to allow access without leaning on the slates...

I've used a roof ladder, resting on some 50 mm Celotex to spread the load. It worked for me with no breakages. Perhaps you could knock up something yourself out of timber.

When you come to pointing the stepped flashing, the fixing clips are quick, and in my opinion, hold the lead better than using a rolled up bit of lead.

Lead sealant is easy and quick in use,and you don't have to worry about dropping mortar on the slate.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p18578? ... ad%20clips

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adhesiv ... ml+/p33704

Cheers

Dave

P.S. Thanks for the link Mike. I'll add it to the file.
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Postby Mike G » 14 Mar 2017, 14:39

TrimTheKing wrote:Thanks Mike

Not sure how I would get those in now the slates are on?! Looks like page 11 shows them for a cover flashing and has the clips hooking over the battens but how would I do that as there's not enough give in the slates to lift them that high...

Cheers
Mark

Hook them over the edge of the slate, Mark, or screw them direct to the wall (you'll need a big washer). They don't so much stop the lead from lifting as from creeping out across your roof, and thus pulling away from the wall. So a simply straight strap fixed to the wall (or edge of the roof) should provide back-up for the line of silicon under the lead flashing.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Mar 2017, 15:05

Ah okay, perfect, thanks Mike. I was being too literal!!

Cheers
Mark

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Woodworking