It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:02

concealed hinge type?

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

concealed hinge type?

Postby Stargazer » 08 Feb 2017, 20:41

I have a piece of furniture with two drawers, one of these I would like to convert, keeping the original drawer front but making it hinge downwards, preferably with concealed hinges e.g. Blue or similar cabinet hinges. Can anyone help by giving me the technical term for which of the very many hinge types is suitable for this application.

If it helps the drawer front is inside a surrounding frame so there may be issues with clearance. I am trying to avoid a simple visible pair of hingse at the bottom edge.

Many thanks

Ian
Stargazer
New Shoots

Name: Ian

Re: concealed hinge type?

Postby 9fingers » 08 Feb 2017, 21:30

How concealed does it have to be when open?
Maybe Soss hinges ?
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Stargazer » 08 Feb 2017, 21:50

Thanks for replying Bob

Not worried at all when it is open, but when closed it should look like a drawer.

I can't see how the Soss hinges would work, the nearest I can describe it is a drawer front inside a face frame rather than planted on the front of a cabinet.

Cheers

Ian
Stargazer
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 08 Feb 2017, 22:42

Hi Ian,

I guess it depends on how deep you face frame is. Either the hinge has got to operate "up and over" the face frame or you use standard kitchen cupboard type hinges designed for inset doors and put mounting blocks behind the face frame locally for each hinge.

Sometimes I find doing a google image search for say "inset hinges" and scrolling through the pictures until you find something that looks right. Quite a lot of the hinge pictures have a cross section of the timber to show how they are used.

The other thing you might need to think about is at what angle the door stops at and the potential strain on the hinge as it won't be designed to take weight in that direction.

Can you loose the face frame idea? It is not particularly normal to have drawers inset into a face frame.
Without a face frame you could look at the hardware for slide out computer keyboard drawers which will be designed for the job but just use the hinge bit not the slides.

hth - well at least a bit :lol:
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 08 Feb 2017, 22:52

9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Stargazer » 08 Feb 2017, 23:11

Hmm, very useful thanks, looks like the correct terminology is "inset on a frameless cabinet"

I have taken some pictures of the item that I want to modify, will try and put them up in the morning.

Ian
Stargazer
New Shoots

Postby Stargazer » 09 Feb 2017, 10:27

Here is the item

A rather battered piece of Ercol furniture, looking at the close fit of the drawers I am now looking at adapting the lower drawer to open slightly then the front fold downwards to reveal the PVR and DVD player that I would like to hide inside.
Stargazer
New Shoots

Postby 9fingers » 09 Feb 2017, 11:21

OK that should make the hinges a lot easier than I had envisaged. the main issue being to get the effective pivot point to ensure the front lower edge of the drawer face will rise slightly as it opens to clear the protrusion of the frame.

Most inset hinges have a maximum door thickness and this is critical to get enough opening clearance on the lower edge.

With your retro fit project you don't have the option to relieve the bottom edge as the chance of re-staining to match is near zero and with the profiled front faces it is going to be a s.o.d. to plane down the back face to match a hinge door thickness spec.

on the plus side - it is nothing like as difficult a job as I first thought and the weight of the door is a) low and b) will rest on the floor.

Good Luck
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby the bear » 09 Feb 2017, 18:10

How about looking at a different solution?
Does it need to hinge at all?
How about cutting the drawer front off the box and holding it back in place with appropriate magnets.
My DVD, sky box etc are in a cupboard that I barely open anyway.

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 09 Feb 2017, 19:19

With Bob's point about pivot points in mind couldn't you make some simple pin hinges like Rob(woodbloke) used on his box a while back?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Tusses » 11 Feb 2017, 12:26

the bear wrote:How about looking at a different solution?
Does it need to hinge at all?
How about cutting the drawer front off the box and holding it back in place with appropriate magnets.
My DVD, sky box etc are in a cupboard that I barely open anyway.

Mark

:text-+1:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Stargazer » 12 Feb 2017, 21:32

Thanks for all the ideas, next stage is to take a very careful look at said drawer unit and make up a drawing so I can explore some of the above options. I will try and remember to post pictures and updates.

Thanks All

Ian
Stargazer
New Shoots

Return to General Woodworking