It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:59

New Toy

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

New Toy

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Feb 2017, 12:43

Resistance is futile :D Delivered and installed in a couple of weeks - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: New Toy

Postby TrimTheKing » 16 Feb 2017, 12:54

:eusa-clap: :eusa-dance:

What was wrong with your old one Rob?

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Newbie_Neil » 16 Feb 2017, 12:55

Rob,

Very nice, I'm possibly a little jealous of your space. :mrgreen:

Neil
Newbie_Neil
New Shoots

Name: Neil

Postby Andyp » 16 Feb 2017, 13:01

Newbie_Neil wrote:Rob,

Neil

Unless he Rob has just bought a new workshop that is not his space.

Enjoy it Rob. Looking forward to seeing what it can do.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Newbie_Neil » 16 Feb 2017, 13:26

Andy,

Andyp wrote:

Neil

Thanks for clearing that up.

Neil
Newbie_Neil
New Shoots

Name: Neil

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Feb 2017, 13:40

Andyp wrote:

Neil

This is the Ax photo studio, with the new bandsaw that I saw on Tuesday. It's built in the same factory as the Powermatic PM1500 (http://www.axminster.co.uk/powermatic-p ... saw-102209) bandsaw that we've just started to stock so uses many of the same parts, but is a bit less spendy. I was drooling over the Powermatic a few weeks ago (fabulous machine, built without ref to bean counters) but at nearly £3.5K that was well OTT. This has a 14" doc, smaller footprint than the old Startrite (now sold) and a 2hp motor that runs of a 13A main - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 16 Feb 2017, 14:48

Woodbloke wrote:....This has a 14" doc......

Do you mean depth of cut, or did you mean throat? Or both, perhaps?

I'm getting tired of my machine, with its multiple niggles. I'm minded to look for some heavy cast iron thing as the pressed metal bodies just flex too much with heavier pieces of timber.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Feb 2017, 16:12

Mike G wrote:

I'm getting tired of my machine, with its multiple niggles. I'm minded to look for some heavy cast iron thing as the pressed metal bodies just flex too much with heavier pieces of timber.

Depth of cut Mike - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 16 Feb 2017, 16:22

A 14" depth of cut is not something I could ever imagine exploiting!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Doug » 16 Feb 2017, 17:37

Their industrial series of bandsaws are very good I'm sure you'll be pleased with it Rob.
I bought one 4 odd years ago & recently put it up for sale on UKW http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/for- ... 03267.html

One thing I would be interested in knowing if you know Rob is (according to one of the blokes who was interested in buying my saw but has yet to get back to me) is that the new ones only take a one inch blade where as mine is rated up to 1&3/8 inch, he was questioning this, is this something that changed when the livery changed about 4 years ago

As I say I'm sure you'll be happy with it, mine has done everything I've asked of it.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby chataigner » 16 Feb 2017, 17:54

Mike G wrote:

Me too ! Mine is great for almost all small scale work including resawing quite wide veneers. But the moment you ask it to rip cut a big live edge board the whole thing starts to flex. It's not a criticism of the machine it's just that I need something heavier. For example, I've just picked up some 3.5m long 45mm thick oak boards, around 400mm wide live edge, air dried. At density say 0.75 that makes them around 47kg, my knees can just about cope with that, but the BS is totally overwhelmed, it does not even feel stable.

I'm going to have stand them on blocks and rip them with a big portable circular saw - works OK, but lots of dust and a big wasteful kerf.

PS Sorry for the hijack - your new BS looks great, I hope you have much fun with it.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Feb 2017, 17:55

Doug wrote:Their industrial series of bandsaws are very good I'm sure you'll be pleased with it Rob.
I bought one 4 odd years ago & recently put it up for sale on UKW http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/for- ... 03267.html

One thing I would be interested in knowing if you know Rob is (according to one of the blokes who was interested in buying my saw but has yet to get back to me) is that the new ones only take a one inch blade where as mine is rated up to 1&3/8 inch, he was questioning this, is this something that changed when the livery changed about 4 years ago

As I say I'm sure you'll be happy with it, mine has done everything I've asked of it.

I don't know what the full specs are yet as the Book of Words is currently being composed, but my guess is that it will take up to around a 25mm blade. I've always used a blade which is one size smaller (ie 19mm) so that it can be cranked up to max. tension. What is impressive is the depth of cut at 14" and the way it runs so smoothly. I filmed it for 30secs with a 50p balancing on the table with the blade running - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Tusses » 16 Feb 2017, 18:00

Such a nice machine .. I don't get why they supply it with such a cheap looking stand ! ? :eusa-think:
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 16 Feb 2017, 18:03

Tusses wrote:Such a nice machine .. I don't get why they supply it with such a cheap looking stand ! ? :eusa-think:

:lol: :eusa-clap:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Feb 2017, 18:33

chataigner wrote: For example, I've just picked up some 3.5m long 45mm thick oak boards, around 400mm wide live edge, air dried. At density say 0.75 that makes them around 47kg, my knees can just about cope with that, but the BS is totally overwhelmed, it does not even feel stable.

I'm going to have stand them on blocks and rip them with a big portable circular saw - works OK, but lots of dust and a big wasteful kerf.

PS Sorry for the hijack - your new BS looks great, I hope you have much fun with it.

Even heavy duty bandsaws like this aren't designed to cope with this sort of timber. When I worked in the trade years ago, a portable circular saw was always the way that big lumps of timber were cut into manageable sizes and it's still the way I do it today. Chock the plank up on some 2x4's and rough cut it with a hand held circular saw...there's no way I'm even going to try and lift a 50Kg bit of oak up onto a machine table - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Doug » 16 Feb 2017, 18:37

They certainly are stable though I guess that's also to do with the mass of the machine as they are very heavy, then again it needs that mass when cutting large sections of timber.
I like the look of the new higher fence, the carrier looks the same as mine I wonder if it could be retro fitted as the fence is one thing that lets mine down.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Feb 2017, 18:40

Mike G wrote:A 14" depth of cut is not something I could ever imagine exploiting!

The capacity is there if it's needed, especially for sawing veneers, which I can then stuff through the Jet 16-32 drum sander. I'll probably only ever need to go to around 300mm - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 24 Feb 2017, 20:08

Nice Rob...I've been eyeing up the BS11 Trade Series you guys have at AXI...

Tho I'll probably be heading to fleabay for an old Startrite :D

Jim
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 25 Feb 2017, 11:46

Jimmy Mack wrote: ...eyeing up the BS11 Trade Series...

Jim

I have one of those as well :oops: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 25 Feb 2017, 11:51

Woodbloke wrote:
Jimmy Mack wrote: ...eyeing up the BS11 Trade Series...

Jim

I have one of those as well :oops: - Rob

How is it Rob? (be as neutral as u can )

I watched Peter's review of the inverter edition (but that ones a bit beyond my price range).

Compact re-sawing in my focus.

Jim

Sent from my HTC 0P6B900 using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 25 Feb 2017, 12:10

Jimmy Mack wrote:How is it Rob? (be as neutral as u can )

Compact re-sawing in my focus.

Jim

I've had my BS11 (non-inverter version) in use now for over a year and it's my 'go to' machine for all routine and some deep (150mm max I think) cutting at the bench. The brief given to the manufacturers was to produce the best small machine possible and thus far over the course of a year, it's been difficult to find fault. Those issues that I didn't like were very easily sorted out and they were mainly to do with the fence.

The slot in the table for the blade also meant that each side wasn't co-planar (a slight 'rise' on one side) but this was sorted out with thin washers on the underside where it bolts onto the trunnion.

I did a 'warts n'all' review shortly afterwards, see here: http://knowledge.axminster.co.uk/worksh ... 1-bandsaw/ - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Jimmy Mack » 25 Feb 2017, 12:31

Great thanks Rob, I might try and drop in on the Warrington store in the future.

Out of interest is it not worth Axminster supplying a retro fix kit for the fence or if they're made to order have the design changed?

Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 25 Feb 2017, 14:43

Jimmy Mack wrote:Great thanks Rob, I might try and drop in on the Warrington store in the future.

Out of interest is it not worth Axminster supplying a retro fix kit for the fence or if they're made to order have the design changed?

There are constant minor upgrades going on all the time, but alterations to the fence isn't one on them. It was really just my personal preference as mentioned in the article. To be fair, the BS11 is a bit spendiferous but I reckon it's worth the outlay...just don't try and lift the little bugger on your own! - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Alex161 » 20 Mar 2017, 13:33

A really nice looking machine. :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: That fence looks especially good and the sort of thing that should be put on more of the larger bandsaws. With a cut depth of 14", the tension on the blade will be heavy, but good to see more depth.

Malcolm
Alex161
Seedling

Name: Malcolm

Postby Doug » 20 Mar 2017, 22:46

The fence does look good Malcolm I've ordered one to retro fit to my machine though a little disappointed that delivery is around 18+ weeks :shock:
I was a little surprised to see the maximum blade size on this new model is 19mm when you consider it's basically a replacement of mine which has nearly 13" depth of cut but takes a 35mm blade, seems a huge trade off to gain so small an increase in depth of cut.
That said being made by OAV it comes from a good stable.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Next

Return to General Woodworking