It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:37

Is this a job for CNC ?

This forum is for any general questions, queries or plain old chinwaggery on Woody stuff in general.

Is this a job for CNC ?

Postby RogerS » 16 Apr 2017, 09:10

SWMBO is very keen to have a building for her gardening/relaxation and has kind of set her heart on something like this

But much larger (6m x 5m) and also with these sort of windows, the design of which will reference back to a window in the house.

I was wondering the best way to make those curved glazing bars ? Plant-ons? Is this a job for CNC? There will be quite a lot of them. Material ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Is this a job for CNC ?

Postby Phil » 16 Apr 2017, 12:34

That is going to look very nice Roger.

I thought you were moving back South? is LOYL staying behind without you?
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 16 Apr 2017, 12:55

Phil wrote:That is going to look very nice Roger.

I thought you were moving back South? is LOYL staying behind without you?

LOL! We're stuck up here until the house is finished. Then we shall see. We drove over to the East coast yesterday...stunning scenery, lovely buildings, very lush....and DRY!
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby meccarroll » 16 Apr 2017, 19:38

One thought is of stick on sections that were glued together and jointed using a finger type cutter either in the spindle moulder or done on the router.

I'd use a phenol glue for jointing and if done in sections I'd think you could use almost any wood.

Another thought is consider Medite Trycoya and simply rout the entire curved section in one go. It's supposed to be very water resistant but still needs sealing on all cut edges. Just an ides which you could try out over the winter if you could get hold of a small piece. You might find this video interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvlGamh66bE

I don't think a cnc would be any huge advantage if you were thinking of making this yourself Roger. The roof would be interesting to construct.

Have you kept any machinery? or did you sell it.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 17 Apr 2017, 06:39

Many thanks for the suggestions...

Sadly yes I did sell most of my equipment as the house is running on a long extension cable. Focus is on getting the house sorted with building work. Once that's done we can move back in, the garage becomes clearer and I can start to think about converting it into a workshop.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby meccarroll » 17 Apr 2017, 09:57

RogerS wrote:Many thanks for the suggestions...

Sadly yes I did sell most of my equipment as the house is running on a long extension cable. Focus is on getting the house sorted with building work. Once that's done we can move back in, the garage becomes clearer and I can start to think about converting it into a workshop.

WOW! looks like you are going to be busy with that house for a long while.

I spotted this on ebay and thought of you: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Felder-Model-CF741-/152482862977?hash=item2380afd781:g:EYwAAOSwmgJY07PY

Think I'd be wanting to pay on pick up just to ensure it's all as it seems but if so then it looks like a nice bit of kit.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 17 Apr 2017, 10:01

meccarroll wrote:

I spotted this on ebay and thought of you: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Felder-Model-CF741-/152482862977?hash=item2380afd781:g:EYwAAOSwmgJY07PY

Think I'd be wanting to pay on pick up just to ensure it's all as it seems but if so then it looks like a nice bit of kit.

Mark

That's enormous! A good price though. My only caution would be if it is that Felder. You know the one that keeps cropping up on eBay accounts that have been hacked.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby meccarroll » 18 Apr 2017, 21:48

RogerS wrote:
meccarroll wrote:

Mark

That's enormous! A good price though. My only caution would be if it is that Felder. You know the one that keeps cropping up on eBay accounts that have been hacked.

It's a very nice sliding table Roger, once you start using one you wonder how you got along without one. You may be right about how valid the post is though.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 19 Apr 2017, 23:52

It's got me interested...!

I could get rid of 3 machines and just have that one! Mmmmmm.

Will keep an eye but suspect it is dodgy. Might message the seller and ask to go and take a look...

Cheers
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 20 Apr 2017, 06:31

Your shop's not big enough, Mark ! That sliding table is enormous.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 21 Apr 2017, 12:05

RogerS wrote:Your shop's not big enough, Mark ! That sliding table is enormous.

Hmmmm, Workshop extension...

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Return to General Woodworking